Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Carabiner Choices

I would like to know if I made the proper choices in carabiners for both my hammock and for the tarp I will be using.

I probably made an OK choice for my hammock; which I will use as a quick disconnect on GT Treeslings. I do not have too much available to me immediately at the stores near by me. Currently for this choice I have a couple of Mammut Wiregate Classics. I guess it is similar to a nano 23 but from what I understand, just a little bit bigger. Will these be sufficient for my hammock suspension needs?

The tarp disconnects I bought I am not all that sure on at all.

I asked the salesman what would be best for a quick disconnect for a 9x12 tarp and he pointed to 2 choices; either the cheap Coghlan Carabiners or the Nite Ize no. 3 S-Biners rated at 25 pounds each. I have my doubts on both of these, but I went ahead and purchased a couple of Nite Ize products.

Seriously, will this stand up to moderate winds of 10 to 20 mph on 9'x12' tarp?

I really have some major doubts on this because I have flown kites of a much lesser area 5' by 4' which sometimes takes 2 people to bring it down in a 25 to 30 mph wind.

I think these would be fair choices for my smaller tarps, but I have reservations for use with the larger 2 pound tarp.

My intention is to have the tarp directly connected to the S-biners and tension those out with prussiks or similar tension knots. I know I do not have to use any carabiners at all for a tarp, but this makes setup and take-down much quicker for me.

Should I have gotten a different rating for my carabiners to be used with my tarp?
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW, Any climbing rated carabiner will work to hang the hammock. What you are messing with is the gram weenie weight race. As far as the tarp vs kite one is face on the other is edge on so should be much less load.

I am not a fan of the Nite Ize S biners but a lot of folks here are. I prefer to tie a loop of short cord through the tarp ridge line attachment point then throw a prussik around the line or do the prussik then tie the ends through the tarp. No reason to ever take them apart once it is built. YMMV ;-)

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    like said above any carabiner rated for climbing is fine. also you can purchase ones for hammocks from brandon at warbonnet. but you should be fine. I also like prussiks for tarps and mini carabiners
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    As of now, I've had no issues with my s-biners or some of the hammock forum accessory biners for my tarps.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    S-Biners are great for small things but I would not trust them with my life. Go to home depot or lowes to the rope section. There is a section for S-hooks, swivels, carabiners, etc. Those carabiners are rated 500 pounds and higher, up to 5,000+. And they are much cheaper than the $30+ climbing carabiners at an outdoors store.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Home depot is a good source for cheap biners that will hold weight. If you are concerned about weight... I suggest a set of Dutch Clips for your hammock, super light, super easy to use, and 13bucks for the pair (they will hold up to 275lbs I believe). Those are available here...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm

For your tarp, Prussics are definitely the way to go for easy and reliable use. For those you can use mini biners or S biners. For hanging the tarp ridge line, I prefer a continuous ridge line, but there are several types. I just ordered a ridge line setup from Dutch (will link below) and it's by far the easiest way to hang a ridge line I've even seen, also the lightest! I ordered a Tarp Flyz , Dutch Hook , and Zing It line. He was kind enough to custom order me with prussic knots built in! So I got a complete ridge line setup from him for cheap!

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...ies/dutchware/

Also both these companies are cottage industries, so it's nice (for me anyways) to help out fellow hammock hangers right here on hammockforums.net. Dutch has great videos on his website that show you how easy it is to setup as well. Hope that helps and sorry for rambling.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

• + New Posts