Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar

fabric for a 330lb guy?

I want to make a hammock for a friend, but he weighs around 330lbs. My question is:

Should I even look at single layer 1.9oz ripstop? Or would this work? (2.8oz nylon)

http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=51

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Here is a link to a thread I had started asking about weight guidelines per oz of nylon. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33932
    Also here is a link to a good response I got to read up on some of the weights http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

And while at it....you may already know this...but just in case here is another area worth reading up on http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29170 This was very educational for me, as I did not know that what I was purchasing wasn't "really" for the weight that it mentions.

Hope this all helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Here is a link to a thread I had started asking about weight guidelines per oz of nylon. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33932
    Also here is a link to a good response I got to read up on some of the weights http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

And while at it....you may already know this...but just in case here is another area worth reading up on http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29170 This was very educational for me, as I did not know that what I was purchasing wasn't "really" for the weight that it mentions.

Hope this all helps.
    Thanks for the info, but Ive seen most of those threads. Im pretty much sure a single 1.9 wont cut it, but does anyone here know about the 2.8oz plain weave nylon I posted the link to"?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    2.8 oz nylon is approaching a light weight pack cloth. That's some heavy dutty stuff. It is most likely an Oxford cloth (weave pattern). Think very high quality men's dress shirts. Old Style Brooks Bros quality. I would strong suspect that you would be fine with that. But to be safe you might want to contact Scott and see if he can provide you with any more information about the weave. Plain weave is not really helpful except to distinguish it from ripstop,

I'm not wild about DWR coating for warm humid weather but it is certainly better than Polyurethane (PU) coating.

Incidentally... the use of ripstop for hammocks is vastly overrated IMO. It is a fine material and in light weights it is a very valid choice. But it was developed for garment use, not weight bearing use. I doubt very much the ripstop gives you any more security than a good quality taffeta, chambray or oxford (all "plain weave" patterns).
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    2.8 oz nylon is approaching a light weight pack cloth. That's some heavy dutty stuff. It is most likely an Oxford cloth (weave pattern). Think very high quality men's dress shirts. Old Style Brooks Bros quality. I would strong suspect that you would be fine with that. But to be safe you might want to contact Scott and see if he can provide you with any more information about the weave. Plain weave is not really helpful except to distinguish it from ripstop,

I'm not wild about DWR coating for warm humid weather but it is certainly better than Polyurethane (PU) coating.

Incidentally... the use of ripstop for hammocks is vastly overrated IMO. It is a fine material and in light weights it is a very valid choice. But it was developed for garment use, not weight bearing use. I doubt very much the ripstop gives you any more security than a good quality taffeta, chambray or oxford (all "plain weave" patterns).
    Do you have a phone number for scott to contact him at? Also, how hard would it be to sew the 2.8oz? would you use the same needle you use for ripstop, or the one designed for denim and canvas?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It's a heavier fabric so a heavier needle would probably be in order. But I don't know that you would need the denim needle. It probably wouldn't hurt tho. Just make sure it is good and sharp. Do _not_ use a "ball point" needle and if you have a choice choose a "sharp" over a "universal." Do _not_ use a "leather" needle. They look big and beefy and they are but they will slice and dice your fabric to smithereens. They are made to cut holes in leather and similar heavy duty non-woven material.

Scott is the owner of DIY Gear Supply so I would assume any contact information you have for the company would be good for him.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It's a heavier fabric so a heavier needle would probably be in order. But I don't know that you would need the denim needle. It probably wouldn't hurt tho. Just make sure it is good and sharp. Do _not_ use a "ball point" needle and if you have a choice choose a "sharp" over a "universal." Do _not_ use a "leather" needle. They look big and beefy and they are but they will slice and dice your fabric to smithereens. They are made to cut holes in leather and similar heavy duty non-woven material.

Scott is the owner of DIY Gear Supply so I would assume any contact information you have for the company would be good for him.
    I put in an email, but I wish he had a phone number to call.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images
    Supplex nylon is a heavy duty fabric that would be appropriate. Go on ebay and search for Supplex fabric under Crafts.

Happy Trails.
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    Supplex nylon is a heavy duty fabric that would be appropriate. Go on ebay and search for Supplex fabric under Crafts.

Happy Trails.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPPLEX-NYLON-FA...item8e07563fa7

Would that work?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    Would that work?
    maybe.... maybe not. You would need to check with the supplier to make sure you get 60" fabric. The listings states 46" - 60". 46" would IMO be _much_ too narrow for a big guy especially. Check it carefully with the vendor. Supplex is a very nice material but it needs to be wide enough.

Edit: another description states 60". Conflicting information. I would suggest you check it anyway.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast