Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

How did I do?

I've been trying to decide what suspension to go with. I thought about webbing and cord with knots, as I like tying knots. However, this system seemed to require extra hardware to keep track of and purchase. The whoopie thing seemed kind of cool, but I was not sure if I could do it without screwing it up. I found some Amteel blue at West Marine for .35 cents a foot, so I figured what the heck. If I screwed it up, I'm only out $7.00 for 20 feet of it. I have to tell you, this was easier than I thought, especially with such great detailed instructions from SlowBro. First I tied a Bowline loop in one end and fed it through the channel of my new Skeeter Beeter pro, then run the tag end through the loop and cinched it up. I then proceeded to make the sling with the rest and did the bury with the tail end. I now have a Whoopie sling attached at both ends of the hammock, that I can just hang on a Marline spike hitch. The only thing that concerns me is such a large loop over the Marline spike. Is this a safe system to hang from? All your thoughts are welcomed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I would have made a buried loop to go through the channel, but yeah, you got nice whoopies. Better than mine, and I may have to go to a local marine supply place... mine are old poly rope.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks good and you did it right. Larksheading the whoopie into the channel is standard.
    Safety: The big loop gets narrower once the weight of the hammock is on there. Add a quilt into the hammock and theres enough tension to keep the loop secure on the toggle, no worries.

While adjusting the whoopie is the only time the toggle/whoopie comes undone (if I am not careful)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice work there, HangNyak!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Looks Good

Most folks aren't too concerned with the big loop coming off the marlin spike, but Grizz did a video of a neat little sliding whipping knot that you can use to secure the loop. Check this video around the 3 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professo.../1/2sUfGqudl_8

hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Nicely done on the sling. It looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    .... The only thing that concerns me is such a large loop over the Marline spike. Is this a safe system to hang from? All your thoughts are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    ......The big loop gets narrower once the weight of the hammock is on there. Add a quilt into the hammock and there's enough tension to keep the loop secure on the toggle, no worries.

While adjusting the whoopie is the only time the toggle/whoopie comes undone (if I am not careful)

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Looks Good

Most folks aren't too concerned with the big loop coming off the marlin spike, but Grizz did a video of a neat little sliding whipping knot that you can use to secure the loop. Check this video around the 3 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professo.../1/2sUfGqudl_8

hfg

+1 on what Gargole and HappyFngy said I have used a bead on the end of just one of the lines the big loop to prevent the loop from closing in onitself, but now I fed a line of amsteel into the primary of the whoopie near the bury at the fixed loop to prevent this from happening.

I have thought of making a lanyard know and placing it on the big loop to prevent it from hopping off of the toggle, but this only happens to me when I am adjusting the whoopie sling during set up. Once I am set up and add some weight, I have no worries of the sling coming off of the toggle.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks good! Next time try a locked brummel for your fixed loop. It's stonger than a bowline. If you want to make a locked brummel without taking apart the adjustable loop you can make the fixed loop with a macdonald locked brummel if you have enough length after undoing the bowline. Just thought I'd mention it if you are catching the DIY bug.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looks good! Next time try a locked brummel for your fixed loop. It's stonger than a bowline. If you want to make a locked brummel without taking apart the adjustable loop you can make the fixed loop with a macdonald locked brummel if you have enough length after undoing the bowline. Just thought I'd mention it if you are catching the DIY bug.
    Thanks for the tip. I thought about that before doing it, but was unclear about sewing it to lock it in. So, I just decided to follow SlowBro's instuction in his post, and just tie the bowline loop. Hopefully It holds. If not, I guess I'm gonna get a bump on the noggin and have to make another one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I thought about that before doing it, but was unclear about sewing it to lock it in. So, I just decided to follow SlowBro's instuction in his post, and just tie the bowline loop. Hopefully It holds. If not, I guess I'm gonna get a bump on the noggin and have to make another one.
    The good thing is the locked brummel doesn't need to be sewn.
    The bowline should hold fine. You'll find a lot of people here recommend avoiding knots in amsteel because first it derates the strength and second is the possibility of the knot slipping due to its slickness. Having said that there are lots of examples of knots being used in amsteel with success.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Looks good! Should make a nice addition to your Skeeter Beeter Pro.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast