Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
I ride with a small backpack(32l) and with a max weight including food etc. around 20 pounds. But i also use a mountainbike with front suspension and a rock hard narrow saddle(been using that ever since i was competitive as a youngster, it works the best for me).

I still find it amazing that you're able to pull those distances with that gear! Respect!
Thanks! My pack is only about 30 liters internal volume, as well. I usually run about twenty to twenty-five pounds when I'm hiking, all told. However, the rack attached to the seat post (you can see it best in the first porch mode photo) holds up to another twenty pounds or so.

I stuff everything into an extra-large dry bag from Wallyworld and clip that to the seat post and tie it down to the rack with the mason's line that I'm using as a stabilization tie-out on the bike in that photo. That's where the majority of my weight goes: I usually don't exceed about thirty pounds when I'm riding, so only about ten pounds actually goes on my back for most trips.

It's the difference between hiking and bike camping; the latter is more of an intermediate state for me between hiking and car camping. I carry less food, eat at restaurants more (since I'm on the road, it's convenient), and tend to splurge on things like carrying my netbook with me to work on my other hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
Beautifully clean trail and a nice bike,,,,thanks.
Thanks! The trail keepers up that way must work really hard; the park sees a lot of traffic during the summer months. Though, I suppose, less of it is on the trail than one might think.