Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

walmart ccf vs sunscreen vs microcell SPE vs ?? -- comfort showdown

Headed out in two weekends for my first trip using my hammock. The biggest reason I made the switch is for comfort after borrowing a friend's setup, which had a UQ. I have a really tough time getting a to sleep while camping on the ground and the night I used my friend's hammock was the only night I cam remember that I actually slept throughout the night while backpacking. I don't have the budget for a UQ in my setup right now, so I'm trying to figure out the most comfortable alternative that will still provide adequate insulation.

I'll be headed up into the Rockies where the lows are in the 40s right now. I'm 6'3" and like to sleep on my side. From looking at the forums I guess I have a few options: walmart blue ccf pad, SPE (of my own design), and an automotive sunscreen.

I don't feel that even the 24" wide blue ccf would be enough for my shoulders and some people seem to think the walmart blue ccf is not the most comfortable option.

I might also have time to order some microcell foam (or other alternative like Landau foam). Would this type of foam be more comfortable than the blue pad? If I make an SPE from these foams, I think it would solve part of the bulkiness issue I've read about. But if there is no difference between these foams and the walmart blue pad then I might as well construct an SPE from them.

The automotive sunscreen is another attractive option, as it seems to me this might be more comfortable as it would be able to curve more along with the hammock, but does this option provide adequate insulation?

I also saw people talk about using a space blanket, I have a few of these lying around. Is that alone in the bottom of the hammock enough for 40 degree temps?

I'll have time to test at least one night in my backyard but the lows here are typically low 60s/upper 50s and I'll be looking at about a 15 degree drop.

Images
    That SPE- if a pad is the way you want to go and you don't already have a double layer hammock- is a very good way to go, and will be lighter than the dbl layer hammock approach. ( what kind of hammock do you have?)
    But you will construct the SPE out of some type of light weight nylon, not out of foam pads. Plus mine ( original Speer/Youngblood SPE) has some sort of mesh on the bottom which helps it grip the hammock and stay where you put it.
    It is simply a nylon sack, usually 20" wide, open on both ends through which you place one or more pads, full length or torso length. It has some additional smaller "wings" sewn onto the sides, which are also (much smaller) nylon open ended "sacks" through which you place smaller ccf pad inserts(or fleece jackets or whatever you have handy) to keep your shoulders ( or knees/butt when on your side) from being cold.

Into this SPE, you place whatever foam pad you might have. WM blue, microcell, Thermarest inflatable or Ridgerest, whatever. You can use the thinner pads in warm weather, or thicker or stacked pads for whatever temps in the winter. You probably just need to stack a short pad(under the torso only ) onto the full length one in the winter. Or a thin pad under the torso/butt with nothing under the legs in the summer.

I'm not sure there is a whole lot of comfort difference between those various CCF pads. But some will probably offer more insulation for a given weight or thickness. Most of those you might order will probably be of higher quality than the WM 1/2" thick, 20" wide blue pad, but that WM pad will probably get the job done in the summer mountains.

Any pad will be the most inexpensive, wind and water proof and probably lightest approach, plus you are good to go for ground use. Including a sit pad. But it will take up the most room, and the vast majority of folks prefer some sort of UQ for comfort reasons. And so do I.

However, the one time I used the SPE with stacked summer pads in ~18-20*F, I was not only absolutely toasty, but I thought it was still way more comfy than those same pads would have been on the ground. But the SPE really helped keep things in place and working.

Happy hanging!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-13-2011 at 09:07.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm sure there are those that would disagree with me but I do not recommend the sunshield set up at all. I've tried it in a single layer hammock and I tried it in my WBBB Dbl layer and each time it caused a weird sort of achey chill that's hard to describe. I believe it's because it caused my back to sweat (not to be confused with being hot) and the moisture had no place to go but to me, my shirt and shorts. It was horrible.

I do recommend the CCF pads though. Especially with a double bottom hammock. Even though I have a WB Yeti I still don't have any issues with using any of my CCF pads with or without the Yeti.

KP

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I use a 3/8" pad that I picked up from BassPro and I love it. It is soft and very comfortable. http://www.basspro.com/Texsport-Pack.../65208/-980050 Mine doesn't weigh anything near the 8lb 2oz that their website says it does.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have used the waffle pattern Wallyword blue pad for the past couple of years in my BB 1.7 dbl. This pad weights 15oz and is 24" wide versus the 20" of most of the other pads, and cost about $13. I have used it to below freezing temps.

I am 6ft2 and 285lbs and I also sleep on my sides and back. My only complaint is the bulk for backpacking. I recently purchased a UQ so my blue pad will not see as much use.

When starting out there is nothing wrong with using what gear you have and upgrade as you have the $$$$ and a better idea of what your needs are. If you are a car camper then weight and bulk is not big issue. If you are backpacking then weight and bulk are.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    webbing straps

CCF any size/thickness you need

check this site. Good quality. Brandon @ Warbonnet put me onto this site.
    http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html

Thanks all, I have a BB 1.1 double layer. From what BillyBob58 was saying I guess I don't need the SPE in a double layer, maybe I'll check out the waffle pad that gunner76 suggests. That pad from Basspro looks nice but I fear 20" may be too small. The more I think about the walmart pad is probably the best option, it seems trial tested and cheap, both of which I need . Is the waffle pad with the camping gear? I might run over there after work and check it out.

I have a 20" inflatable pad that I use for ground camping and I can never seem to get comfortable on it. I will be backpacking but I'm not an ultralight guy and I don't mind dealing with a little extra bulk if it means I will get a better nights sleep. I usually strap my pad to the outside of my bag anyway. It is my understanding that CCF won't soak up water, so if I have a CCF strapped to the outside and we get a soaker, it should still be usable?

On a side note, does anyone know if the blue foam that REI sells is the same as the blue foam from Walmart? I was reading some other articles on this site, and one suggested that the REI stuff is minicell, which some people seem to prefer over the wallyworld foam in terms of comfort.

I think I'll toss out the windshield screen idea, thanks KB

Quote Originally Posted by blkx01 View Post
    check this site. Good quality. Brandon @ Warbonnet put me onto this site.
    http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html
    Yeah, that's the stuff I was looking at too. Have you ever compared it to the wallyworld blue pads? I can't find the link right now, but there was an article I was reading that suggested the REI blue foam pads are made from this stuff.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    BB58 says
    "Any pad will be the most inexpensive, wind and water proof and probably lightest approach, plus you are good to go for ground use. Including a sit pad. "

I totally agree and see little or no purpose in going beyond that.

Make an SPE from a couple of WM blue pads and you are good for just about any circumstance down to freezing with a suitably rated bag.

I don't find a CCF pad to be in any way uncomfortable, I just throw it/them in the hammock, get in and go to sleep. No fiddling and faffing around. It protects me, I don't have to worry about protecting it as I would a quilt. Oh, $5.88 vs. $200 say no more

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Is the waffle pad with the camping
    Yes.

My local Wallyword sometimes runs out of the blue pads so you may need to check back and or ask the sporting goods clerks if they are getting any.

The picture is from a camping trip last year when my wife used it in her BB 1.0 dbl
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast