Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I must have slept thru the hail after all we all know how quiet a cuben tarp is in rain and hail. (((not)))
    I was concerned about my cuben tarp.

The hail I got was anywhere between pea-sized and a bit smaller than a golf ball, but it was early in the evening. I didn't set up my tarp the first go-round because I was scared of damaging it. I got over that the next day when a chunk of ice beaned me on my cheekbone. Held up fantastic!

Sounds and looks like you guys had the better weather...and food...and company. I think my feet are still wet.
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Smile company

I do not recall nine people bonding any faster than on this hike. Everyone had a positive attitude and great sense of humor.

I would hike with any of these people, anytime.

But the company would have been even better if you had come.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Out'N'Back trip report

Great trip report Out'N'Back. I will not be doing any reporting for a while. I getting ready for the other type of camping (RV) this weekend. I will have other projects next week and weekend.
    It was a great trip.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Looks like it was a great trip and a great group.... Great pictures. I've got to get back out that way. Come on lottery
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Sounds and looks like you guys had the better weather...and food...and company. I think my feet are still wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    But the company would have been even better if you had come.
    Just so you know Cannibal. Food could not give away his last 3 tamales. I believe everyone was thinking you just might roll into camp at any moment and we did not want to be out of tamales if you did. I think they did get eaten but it was very late.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for the thought. Not sure I would have been able to resist their call. I suppose it's a natural response to be sure there is food if a cannibal might drop in for dinner.

I would have enjoyed meeting all the new and old hangers I haven't met yet. Still, very glad a good time was had by all. Any good stories of shame or glory to share with the group?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great report Bob.

My report starts with me arriving at camp Thursday afternoon, not a soul around and it's pouring
    rain. Where could everyone be? Hammocks are empty. Found out later, Bob(outandback) had
    taken everyone on a day hike. I sat out the rain in my truck until it cleared, then started setting
    up camp, found a good spot down by the creek, which was running pretty good.

The guys got back while I was doing that. Finished up and walked around to meet everyone.

(left to right) **** (Food), Dennis and Ian.

Jim, Mike and Bob

Bryan (Wolftrack) and Nate, both fellow Texans

Bob (outandback)

Bob (Walking Bear)

Jim (Taozenqi)

Mike

Ian and friends that came out to car camp with us.

Don't know how I missed getting a picture of ****(Food) with his setup. Too many white/grey haired
    old men running around, I must have still been confused as to who was who at the time. lol

The rest of Thursday and Friday were spent staying out of the rain, trying to memorize everyones names
    and checking out all the different equipment and setups. We worked out the shuttle situation of who was
    going to leave what vehicles where so we had transportation for everyone when we finished the trail.

I wanted to drive up and see the Lake before we headed out.

Friday night we had a Potluck dinner that was really pretty good. We had Tamales, Pigs in a blanket,
    beef stew, and watermelon among other things.

Saturday morning it was up at 5:30 or so to eat some breakfast, break camp and be on the trail
    by 8:00. Said our goodbyes to Ian and we hit it. The trailhead was right at the back end
    of the campground.

Bryan(Wolftrack) quickly jumped out front and led the pack for awhile and then I think conditions
    made him realize that us flatlander Texas boys don't need to be rushing in to this with a full head
    of steam right off the bat. Can't blame him tho, it was pretty exciting to hit the trail.

We weren't but a mile or so in when Nate blew a tire. The sole on one of his boots separated
    from the upper at the toe box. He mended it with a tube of superglue he was packing and then we were
    back on the trail in minutes. As far as I know, it held the whole trip.

Great scenery started presenting itself fairly soon in the hike and the cameras started coming out.

I don't remember where a lot of these were taken. If I recall correctly, we got much further on the first
    days hike than was originally planned. We made the planned stop and it was still very early in the day,
    so we pressed on, figuring we could make the Divide/Georgia pass and be down the back side to make
    camp before the afternoon showers hit.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Day 2 of the hike we were to make it past Missouri Gultch, a water source, then to Swan River to camp.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Day 3 of the hike was to be as Bob called it, a leg burner. A test of the resolve of any flatlander. Well I am
    proud to say, I passed, with the help of Vitamin IB. The guys kept asking me if I had a headache. lol

My kitchen. I think after seeing the Caldera Cone and Bushbuddy in action at this hang, I'm leaning that way.

We made Horseshoe Gultch, the last water until we finish, at around 3pm I think. We all took a much needed
    "packs off" break on the side of a hill and those that needed water for the night and the next day filtered water from
    the stream. We knew there was supposed to be a campsite close. Jim had come to be lead hiker, followed by
    Mike. Them being the 2 fastest hikers, they reached break spots before anyone else, sometimes by a big margin.

While the rest of us chilled on the hill, Jim said he'd scout out a site that a biker told us about .25 mile
    down the trail that seemed to agree with info from the CT data book. Well, Jim had been gone a good
    30 minutes, the weather was looking like it could dump just any time. I think the consensus was that Jim was
    going to come back and let everyone know what he found. There was talk going around that surely, as fast
    a hiker as he is he'd be back by now. Surely he wouldn't have started setting up his own camp if he'd found something,
    leaving us hanging here on this sidehill with it about to dump on us. Pretty quick it was decided we'd better
    head off to find him and find "ourselves" somewhere to camp.

Sure enough about 1/4 mile down the trail was the site the biker had told us about, and Jim, setting up his camp. I
    thought that was so funny. LOL

The rest of us set up in the rain, but it's all good. LOL Just razzin ya buddy. Payback for saddling me with the
    trail name of "Damed Hoosier Texan". I'll let you tell that story. LOL

The Damed Hoosier Texan

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Day 4 of the hike came with me having slept the best in my hammock since I've had it. Mostly due to the great
    info Bob(outandback) shared with Me and Jim about our Blackbird hammocks, about shortening the ridgeline by
    3 inches to get a better lay. After the previous days hike, I was needing it.

A short day today to finish up. ****(Food) had decided to head out early on his own. Partly, as I understand it, for
    personal reasons about finishing that previously unhiked section on his own. He would go to the transit center in
    Frisco where the shuttle cars were left, get his car and meet us at the end of the trail as we finished. That way
    we wouldn't need to ride the bus.

As I come off the last bit of trail, I see Jim and Mike kicked back in someones lounge chairs around a
    pond, waiting on the rest of us. We made our way over to the bus stop and **** was there. He would take
    the guys that had also left vehicles at the transit center to get theirs, then they would come back and get
    all of us. Worked out well. We loaded up and headed for Bubba Gumps in
    Breckenridge, hoping it wasn't too early in the morning to get in. **** had been talking about this place
    all week. Bubba Gump this and Bubba Gump that. Well I'm pleased to say it's everything he said it was. I had
    2 wheat micro brews and shrimp-ka-bobs on white rice. After the pitful excuse for food I took with me on the trail,
    I was full, buzzed and had to have a Bubba Gump T-shirt.

On the way back to the cars, we found a great ice cream parlor and Mike bought me cone. Thanks.

Thanks to all who attended. It was great to meet you and pick your brain about why you carry what you do
    and set up like you do. I learned a lot, most of it simple stuff that can make a huge difference in your experience.

Oh, and you guys take some fantastic pictures. Can't wait to see everyone elses.

TR42
    Last edited by trailryder42; 07-13-2011 at 22:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast