Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sooooooooo....... Jealous. Nice report fellas. Wish I was there.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit...

It was my belief that we had agreed as a"unified group" that we were going to maintain a degree of civility as we posted our trip experiences on HF. However, after reading several accounts, it has become apparent that shots have been fired and that the TRUTH must be revealed.

After driving for 8.5 hours from southern NM on Thursday AM, arrival at the Jefferson Creek Campground (JCC) finds my reserved campsite inhabited by others. One (OutandBack) has graciously selected a modest pair of trees, while another interloper (aka, birthday curmudgeon) has selected the very best site to inhabit, leaving me with the saplings. Since no one is around initially with whom to address this injustice, and as dark clouds are building, I raise my tarp in silence. Eventually others arrive, intros are made and the rains begin in earnest immediately after the pronouncement that,"it rarely rains hard or long in Colorado." Hours later with streams flowing around and through our campsite, it becomes even clearer that TRUTH has been side-stepped.

On Friday, everyone appears to be settling in to the three campsites we had initially reserved and although more and more hammocks are being deposited on my cherished and expensive campsite, I smile and welcome them cheerfully to my site.

**Note: In the process of shuttling four cars 1.5 hours to Frisco a slight brush with two gun happy L.E.O.'s allegedly takes place initially in Fairplay and ending in Alma, thereby resulting in the "**** Hoosier Texan" moniker.**

By the time the group potluck takes place Friday evening, the whole flock has come to rest on MY campsite. Did anyone ask? NO!! Yet , I continue to grin and in the spirit of comradeship bite my lip when not consuming vast quantities of great food provided generously by Food, OutandBack, Isheian, Rebecca, Wolf Track, and oh yeah, the birthday curmudgeon who had stolen/secured the BEST trees/site did contribute a few samples of a mystery meat.

Saturday we drop all transgressions and head off on the intended adventure hoping for the best AND drier weather. OutandBack leads us to the TH...
    Out&Back getting started (600x800).jpg

As mentioned in other posts, Nate (aka;, Resole, Clank) blows a shoe and repairs it instantly while we continue to climb up, up, and away to GeorgiaPass and over the Continental Divide...
    Alpine Blue Columbine (600x800).jpg

Hours later and and a great deal of elevation later our fearless leader, Food,
    Food (600x800).jpg

states repeatedly (say, 10-15 times), "don't pass up a campsite." A long mile or two later, we find our first really level site complete with firering and settle in before the rain & hail pelt us yet again. Did I mention that it rarely rains in Colorado?
    P1000219 (600x800).jpgP1000223 (600x800).jpg

Day 2 is a short hike of approx. 6 miles, realizing trees are designed for resting heavy packs (see OutandBacks's trip report for pic evidence).

Day 3 is approx. 9-10 miles and for me the best hike of the trip. One beautiful view after another. After several miles I mention to waddy that something is clearly wrong as my shoulder straps are actually feeling comfortable. Are my shoulders numb? No, just adjusting and distracted by the views...
    [[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Our Leaders.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Taozenqi View Post
    Day 2 is a short hike of approx. 6 miles, realizing trees are designed for resting heavy packs (see OutandBacks's trip report for pic evidence).
    This poor tree was actually straight before you decided to lean on it.

it has become apparent that shots have been fired
    I think you two must have been brothers in a pass life.

Great report Jim thanks so much for coming and sharing your awesome campsite.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-14-2011 at 19:46.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    It's about time you finally decided to drag on home and chip in!

"Mystery meat" INDEED. Just you wait until OutandBack and I get a good lay at a real fire and a chance to use the old Dutch Oven to good advantage. We'll fatten out that skinny little body of yours until you can't even ROLL out of your hammock!

I think I have solved the mystery of why there is so much down timber in our forests. There are black gremlins pushing down all our trees! (See thumbnail proof below)

Anyway, now that I have gotten at least a FEW good licks, glad you made it home safely my friend. Did you get to do a river trip on the way home?
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

continuation

Now, I have to address the statement by the befuddled Trailrider42 (BTW, not an uncommon state of this Hoosier Texan based on his drive through Fairplay). He states that by consensus I was to check out the campsite an additional .25 mile after our 9 mile hike on Day 3, return .25 miles to advise and gather him and then hike an additional .25 miles to go back to the previously explored campsite. Does this sound like something you would want to do as the next storm approaches? Me either. Consensus = "collective opinion". Hey, you Hoosier Texan, you may want to get the opinion of the key participant before you reach consensus!
    My consensus was that I would go ahead while others gathered water and that if you didn't see me again in short order that the new campsite was better than where we were currently hanging out. Since the proposed campsite was littered with beetle-kill, I hiked an additional .5 mile and back searching for better sites, but the forest was all in pretty bad shape.
    [ATTACH]MEMO0020.jpg[/ATTACH]

So, if you want to see this area with living pine trees ,you probably need to go soon. We noted a good deal of the forest in this area approaching Breckenridge was 40-60% infected.
    AfterThe Beetles.jpg

Day 4 was another pretty hike loaded with vistas, wildflowers and laughter.
    Cutleaved coneflower & Indian Paintbrush.jpg
    Wild Rose.jpg
    It was a short hike of 3-4 miles ending with a great view of Breckenridge...
    Breckenridge.jpg

In closing, if anyone takes the above criticisms as serious, mark it up to my perverse sense of humor ( shared by others on this trip).

My thanks to food & OutandBack for their ongoing efforts to check on any concerns and communicating thoroughly during our hikes and camps. Better trip hosts are hard to find.
    Thanks to all for adding to the mix of personalities while leaving their egos behind. As has been stated before, I look forward to the time where we can travel into the woods together.

...and let your best be for your friend. For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill? Seek him with hours to live.And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things, the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. - K. Gibran
    [ATTACH]MEMO0011.jpg[/ATTACH]

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Taozenqi View Post
    My consensus was that I would go ahead while others gathered water and that if you didn't see me again in short order that the new campsite was better than where we were currently hanging out.
    Well I was thinking that was probably actually the case at the time. I mean, Jims a nice guy and all, but hey, lets keep it real. lol

Thanks for clearing that up. lol

Enjoyed the report and pics.

Images
    I believe everyone has checked in to let us know they made it home safe, sound, and maybe a little bit sore.

We can call this trip officially over.

Everyone put your thinking caps on and dig out your old trail journals. We need to find a place for next summer.
    It's going to be hard to top this one but I'll bet we can do it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Enjoyed the report and pics.
    Trailryder42, really enjoyed your trip report, great pics, amd trail company. TZQ

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jeff I am right there with you! I wish I could have gone so bad! Hopefully you will be home for the next one, Id like to be able to meet at least some more of the colorado hangers. Great trip reports guys and amazing pictures. I now have the task of seeing how much more I can lighten my pack so I can bring my Canon XS, just because my point and shoot wouldnt do the scenery any justice!
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I should be around for the Winter Hang...although the last winter hang was pretty warm for Colorado. Hopefully we'll get some great views like the ones on this trip (minus the flowers, of course)...but I'm sure the company will be awesome again!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast