Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up Colorado Summer Hang - July 7 to 12

I want to thank everyone that hung and hiked. We had some wet weather. We saw some great scenery. We had awesome fellowship, when the weather cleared. We all left the hike safe and happy.

I will wait for others to add their comments.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Good morning all,
    I am typing my trip report from my trail journal and getting some photos processed and uploaded. Should have it up in a hour or so.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Good morning all,
    I am typing my trip report from my trail journal and getting some photos processed and uploaded. Should have it up in a hour or so.
    I'll come back to look at photos when I get my foot tall grass mowed. A foot tall is not bad for me since it mow it at 5".
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    It may take me awhile to get my pictures organized and posted, as that gives me fits.

What a great time I had, and thoroughly enjoyed getting to know personally the faces and personalities behind the forum posts. A more congenial and friendly, helpful, generous group could not be had anywhere, with the possible exception of Taozenqi! (I know I'd better get my licks in first!!)

I'll have a look at the pictures OutandBack posts before I (try and) post mine. No sense having near duplicates.

We had it all on this great trip; not only the pitter patter of rain on the tarp, but the full blown thunder, lightening, and deluge on the tarp. We had the glorious vistas from the top of the Rocky mountains, camping over 11,000 feet, and lots of new friends. For many of us, it was the first time we had been in rain under our tarps, so we could only guess at the experiences posted by the Gorge Rats and the rest of you that live where it actually rains on a regular basis. More to come later.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    The Colorado Summer Hang 2011 was a 6 day 5 night event starting with a 2 day car camp out and hang at Jefferson Creek camp ground
    near Jefferson Colorado.
    We would then do a 4 days 27 mile hike on the Colorado Trail segment 6 over the Continental Divide into Breckenridge Colorado where we
    had parked our shuttle vehicles.

Group Hang:

The group hang was your typical car camping event. We had 11 in attendance.
    There were HF members from Texas, New Mexico, Nebraska, Eastern slope and Western slope of Colorado at this event.

On Thursday afternoon we took a day hike to a special winter hanging place of mine. Started at Kenosha Pass
    and hiked up the CT for about 1.5 miles and then bushwacked West through an Aspen forest to an over look of
    South Park and a peak at the East face of Mt Guyot (13,370ft).

With 48 hours of eating, day-hiking, sleeping, joke and story telling at 10,000 ft we felt
    confident altitude sickness was not going to be an issue for any of our members that came from lower altitudes.

Group Hike:

Day 3 we started our hike at 8am. It was your typical trail through a pine forest with many switchbacks to help you
    up the steep slope. We encountered many flowing streams from the winter snow which was still melting in July.

Finely the trees started thinning out and before we knew it there were no trees. After taking a packs off rest with
    snacks and rocky mtn stream water iced down with snow we started our accent over the continental divide.
    Highest altitude measured was 11, 880 ft.

Once we got over the divide we could see afternoon clouds starting to form and that was a guaranty we where fixing to get rain.
    It was time to pick up the pace and get into the safety of the trees to make camp for the night.

Just as we were setting up our tarps the rain came and it dumped buckets for about 2 hours.
    Around 6pm the rain stopped. We had dinner and walked around the area looking at all the wild
    flowers and exploring the stream.

Total mileage for the day was approximately 8 miles with a 1,850 ft climb under our belt.
    I don’t have to tell you we were tired. But the Rocky Mtn High old John Denver sings
    about had kicked in and spirits were high.

Day 4

This was an easy day with only 6 miles to cover and most of it was down hill. Views of the North face of Mtn Guyot
    would pop in and out along the trail and cameras were coming out of pockets and packs constantly.

Like clockwork between 2:30 and 3 PM the clouds would build and we all knew it was time to find water, in this
    case snow banks, and trees. We found a beautiful flat spot to hang with a view. Bush buddies fired up
    around camp to start melting snow for dinner and the hike tomorrow.

Day 5
    This was going to be a leg burner. We had a 1000 ft climb and 10 miles to cover today so up at 6am
    and on the trail at 8. Somewhere around mile 8 with the 1000 ft climb out of the way I was zoning out
    pounding the trail one foot in front of the other only starring at my feet when suddenly I noticed
    everyone was stopped and huddling together with cameras out. I walked a few feet more and looked
    over to see what had caught their eye.

We had about 2 miles to go through an open mtn meadow. The wild flower bloom was at its peak.
    The smell of wild roses was everywhere. Blue flower pink flower yellow flower red flower
    (sorry I don’t know my mtn flowers) as far as the eye could see. It was spectacular.
    We found our last water source and final camp. It had been another great day in the mtns.

Day 6

Only 4 miles to the cars. We were all dreaming of cheese burgers and french fries waiting for us at the end of the trail.
    We were at the cars by 10 am and on our way to Bubba Gumps in Breckenridge.
    Thank God, they had an outside deck because we were all smelling a little ripe.

HF members that crossed the divide:
    Food, Out and Back, Taozenqi, waddy, Walking Bear, trailryder42 ,Wolf track

Friends of HF members that crossed the divide:
    Dennis and Nate.

If you would like to see more photos and in a manual slide show where you don't have to click on
    little thumbnails please checkout these links on my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=ccae6a971b

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=e82589efa0
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-14-2011 at 08:25.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

high hang mark

The first night we hung at 11,649 ft. That set a new high for a group hang.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Beautiful scenery! Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Did you folks not get the hail storms? I got pelted every night, save one.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Hey Cannibal, we all missed you! We did get some small (BB size) hail the first night, but the rest was all rain.

That is a picture of yours truly sitting in my Clark melting snow over my Bushbuddy(4th picture above the DAY 4 caption). It looks like I am miserable , but that is absolutely not true! Along with the benefits of the Bushbuddy, there comes the downside of all wood fires....SMOKE! I had just gotten a huge batch of smoke in my face when OutandBack snapped the picture. Rest assured the trip was infinitely happier than I seem to indicate!

By the way OutandBack, thanks for the great start on our trip report. Now the rest of us need to add our input.
    Last edited by waddy; 07-13-2011 at 14:20. Reason: Indicate which picture I'm referring to
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Did you folks not get the hail storms? I got pelted every night, save one.
    I must have slept thru the hail after all we all know how quiet a cuben tarp is in rain and hail. (((not)))

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast