Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Well if BER started let me chime in on the Q's:

Is your company going to have any bug nets either integrated or stand alone?

What about insulation for those who will use this for backpacking? Any goals to begin production on that?

Not too sure I'm happy with the suspension with the various "slots" for attaching a carabiner... especially for backpacking that will limit my set up and ability to get a good sag for sleeping at night.

Also, will you be having a backpacking model? If so I would suggest going light weight and stripping all the fluff from your product (ie stuff sack with heavy clips).
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Sorry late thought...

I am also curious what you expect your price point to be when you go retail. One has to pledge $85 on your kickstarter page to receive a hammock (granted with assorted "swag"), but your Facebook page states this is 40% off the intended retail?

Thank you
    Thanks for the great questions.

We tested many many different nylon fabrics before creating a new one. We wanted one that was stronger and lighter than other similar fabrics. Our manufacturer, before manufacturing our products, only made climbing harnesses. Our lab tests have proven to sustain weight over approaching 900lbs. For liability purposes, we are not approving or recommending that anyone load a hammock with more than 500lbs. The material has a very visible and physical difference than similar products. The Roo also is much larger than many of our competitors. It is designed for one person and yet it is 5'7" x 10' and that is describing the material. Many manufacturers measure the entire hammock.

Our Python Straps are different in not only the weight capabilities, but the fact that they are daisy chains with more adjustability. The Python Straps have 18 connecting points and, because they are daisy chains, when a loop breaks, you do not fall. All 18 would have to break.

The Kammok Roo (our one-person hammock) will be $74.95 at retail. Our Python Straps (suspension straps) will be $29.95 at retail. The SWAG accounts for a remaining $40.

Our initial intent wasn't to enter the hammock camping market. We initially saw a need for a low cost, transportable bedding solution in Northern Uganda and began designing a product. We donate 20% of our profits to these efforts and hope to be able to donate the products in the near future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    To continue Raul's questions:

Since you are marketing this for outdoor/go anywhere use, are you considering eventually making a tarp for weather protection?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Well if BER started let me chime in on the Q's:
    Is your company going to have any bug nets either integrated or stand alone?
    What about insulation for those who will use this for backpacking? Any goals to begin production on that?
    Not too sure I'm happy with the suspension with the various "slots" for attaching a carabiner... especially for backpacking that will limit my set up and ability to get a good sag for sleeping at night.
    Also, will you be having a backpacking model? If so I would suggest going light weight and stripping all the fluff from your product (ie stuff sack with heavy clips).
    We will roll out our first series of accessories in the next couple months. We have been developing those over the past year as well, including bug protection and insulation. As far as whether or not they are integrated, for competitive reasons we are not ready to disclose that.

The slots on the Python Straps may surprise you. With 18 slots on each strap, there is quite a bit of adjustability.

As far as backpacking is concerned, we have been focused on being as strong and light-weight as possible. The clips on the stuff sack are unbelievably light. The Kammok Roo (5'7" x 10') WITH the stuff sack, buckles, and carabiners weighs a total of 20oz. Is that higher than you desire?

Thanks for all of the questions. Feel free to keep em rolling.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not knocking your "python straps" as I have not tested them but everyone has varying degrees of comfort and I tried Eno's straps with little comfort which are slotted as well.

With Whoopies or adjustable webbing suspension you have a much easier and wider range of adjusting the tension of the hammock.

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    To continue Raul's questions:

Since you are marketing this for outdoor/go anywhere use, are you considering eventually making a tarp for weather protection?
    Absolutely. Our tarp is probably our most innovative product thus far. We are super excited to unveil it, but it will probably be unveiled around September 1.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelMalone View Post
    As far as backpacking is concerned, we have been focused on being as strong and light-weight as possible. The clips on the stuff sack are unbelievably light. The Kammok Roo (5'7" x 10') WITH the stuff sack, buckles, and carabiners weighs a total of 20oz. Is that higher than you desire?

Thanks for all of the questions. Feel free to keep em rolling.
    You're talking to someone who tap dances on the light weight/Ultra light weight backpacking spectrum

20oz without a bug net and a tarp.... now you're looking at possibly 30-35oz just for the hammock, tarp with a bug net... You've got some competition in that area for those looking to go as light as possible while still maintaining comfort. Just giving you food for thought. I realize I'm in the minority in the backpacking world....

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    You're talking to someone who tap dances on the light weight/Ultra light weight backpacking spectrum

20oz without a bug net and a tarp.... now you're looking at possibly 30-35oz just for the hammock, tarp with a bug net... You've got some competition in that area for those looking to go as light as possible while still maintaining comfort. Just giving you food for thought. I realize I'm in the minority in the backpacking world.
    I gotcha. Going as light-weight as possible creates a need to sacrifice on something. We could design a minimalist version with less material. We would just need to test how little material is still comfortable. Definitely something to keep in mind...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for popping up on our radar! I'm 100% for innovation, and you all seem to be innovating in the materials space. Hope to see one up close and personal someday. I'd be particularly interested in the stretch characteristics of your material. For the bridge style of hammock, having as little stretch as possible is a plus.

As the questions show, the slant around here is a niche one for hammocks, camping hammocks. Judging by what one finds in main stream outdoor gear stores, you'll be competing with ENO in the "casual use" market.

By all means hang out around here and you'll get a variety of viewpoints on camping hammocks. I think it is fair to say that opinions and experience here have influenced the offerings of commercial vendors.

In the end the market will decide what offerings are sustainable. Good luck!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Thanks for popping up on our radar! I'm 100% for innovation, and you all seem to be innovating in the materials space. Hope to see one up close and personal someday. I'd be particularly interested in the stretch characteristics of your material. For the bridge style of hammock, having as little stretch as possible is a plus.

As the questions show, the slant around here is a niche one for hammocks, camping hammocks.

In the end the market will decide what offerings are sustainable. Good luck!
    Thanks Grizzly. Kammok is built of hardcore outdoorsman. Don't let our bright colors fool you, we want to focus on hardcore hammock camping. Our first product is more of a mainstream product to get us off the ground, but we are excited to unveil our accessories in the near future.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast