Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleepless

Sleepless

Hi guys, I got my Henesy Explorer about 6 months ago, and have been able to use it about 6 times. I was hoping to get some advice on my one problem-I cant seem to sleep in it. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing, its very comfortable. I had some breaking in issues with keeping warm and learning how yo get into my bag (before I started using it as a quilt...), but in spite of it all I just cant seem to get to sleep.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    More beer?????

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Any ideas?
    What environment are you using it in? Backyard testing only so far? Trail use? Car camping?

Maybe it isn't the hammock so much as where you're hanging it... If it is in a place that you are ill-at-ease, then perhaps that is the cause of the problem.

I've had some restless nights during backyard testing, because of not really being tired (I usually lay in the hammock and read when that happens), but after a nice long day of hiking I haven't had ANY problems getting to sleep...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Same as AngrySparrow said. Most of my attempts at backyard sleeping have been total failures, despite being quite comfortable. On the trail, I sleep very soundly. I suppose the hammock seems a normal environment on the trail, and there are no barking dogs and car doors slamming, etc., plus I'm usually tired from hiking. And there is no bail out option. What ever, I can't sleep in the backyard, but I sleep very good on the trail. Better than most nights in my own bed.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    What environment are you using it in? Backyard testing only so far? Trail use? Car camping?

Maybe it isn't the hammock so much as where you're hanging it... If it is in a place that you are ill-at-ease, then perhaps that is the cause of the problem.

I've had some restless nights during backyard testing, because of not really being tired (I usually lay in the hammock and read when that happens), but after a nice long day of hiking I haven't had ANY problems getting to sleep...
    I only backyarded once, and didnt get much sleep then eather. The first time was at Traildays, and I did drive there. A few times car camping, and only one tom after a short hike at Catoctin.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I sleep in a hammock every single night, but when I set-up outside in the yard it usually takes me a little while to fall asleep. Honestly, I feel more safe in the woods than I do in my yard and I live in a pretty small town.

That said, Miguel has made the best suggestion so far; except I'd change the beer for bourbon. They both start with "b"; close enough.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just kidding about the beer (well-not really) but I did sleep for over 12 hours once after a long day of backpacking. Of course that was in the middle of the woods with no human noise within miles. I find that reading always does the trick for me.

Miguel

Lots of mention about background noise. Get some ear plugs (Hardware store may carry them for woodworkers--of which one, I am). I used them on my second night hanging in the backyard and also used 'em again on my Smoky Mt hike when the wind really picked up. Try them, they work for me.

TWS

Well, noise really isn't a problem for me, even though I don't recall any so far, at least not that was a problem (ecsept for the blue herrin...)

I do usually sleep on my belly, which I find very hard to do in the hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Well, noise really isn't a problem for me, even though I don't recall any so far, at least not that was a problem (ecsept for the blue herrin...)

I do usually sleep on my belly, which I find very hard to do in the hammock.
    Aha! now we have it. I too am a belly sleeper, and my first backyard nights in a hammock weren't restful because I was not in my accustomed position. I was committed to hammocking though, because I was about to do a week of backcountry camping in a place where flat places for pitching tents are not to be found.

I found on that hiking trip that a couple thousand feet of elevation change spread out over 10 miles in a day has a wonder effect on ease of sleep on my back in a hammock.

But it doesn't work if I'm not exhausted.

(psst, hey buddy, yeah you. C'mere. You heard about the bridge hammock?)

seriously though, if you're new to these parts you might not know about a hammock design where you can sleep on your stomach. JacksRBetter sells them, and a handful of crazies around here (of which I am one) build our own. Some threads on that. Come to think of it, maybe that's the solution. Read the Bridge Hammock thread while in your hammock....

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast