DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Camp Loll/Union Falls (Yellowstone)

This Friday, I'm heading to Camp Loll in Wyoming before I embark on an 18 mile (roundtrip) hike to Union Falls in Yellowstone on Saturday.

Camp Loll is a week long boy scout camp run by the Trapper Trails Council. It is two miles south of Yellowstone NP and five miles north of Grand Teton NP on the western side of Lake of the Woods. As of June 21, the camp was still buried in snow http://s.tygr.ws/naqJoh (Camp Director's blog). They had to cancel the first two weeks of scouts because of the snow.

Union Falls is the second largest waterfall in Yellowstone (behind Lower Falls). At 265 feet, it gets its name from two tributaries that join at the falls (Mountain Ash Creek and an unnamed). A small side trip also takes you to Scout Pool, a thermally warmed swimming hole about 25 feet in diameter and seven feet deep just below a five foot waterfall. Union Falls is located in the Bechler back country of Yellowstone, sometimes referred to as the Cascade Corner because of the abundance of waterfalls.

I was a staff member at Camp Loll in the summers of 1990, 1991 and 1992.

Camp Loll: http://s.tygr.ws/qmcCFx (Google Images)
    Union Falls: http://s.tygr.ws/pBtQXH (Google Images)
    Last edited by tygr; 07-13-2011 at 13:18. Reason: added photos
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Man, I wish I were closer...sounds like a great trip. Please file a trip report upon your return!

--Tim

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    It should be a great trip and I will post a photo report.

If anyone wants to join in, they're welcome. We could caravan to the camp from anywhere along I-15 from Utah County to Idaho Falls, or US 20 to Ashton (north of Rexburg) before we turn off towards camp.

I should be going through the following at about these times on Friday:
    Salt Lake City: 1:00pm
    Ogden: 1:30pm
    Pocatello: 3:30pm
    Idaho Falls: 4:15pm
    Rexburg: 4:40pm
    Ashton: 5:15pm

If you only want to hike to Union Falls, you can meet us at the Cascade Creek trailhead about a mile west of Grassy Lake http://s.tygr.ws/qOcRdZ (Google Maps). We'll likely be starting the hike between 7–8:00am Saturday. Look for my silver 2002 Saturn L200.

We'll be returning home Saturday evening after the hike.

PM me if you're interested and we'll exchange phone numbers.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Dang, I wish I could cut away this weekend.....That's and area that I have been wanting to explore. Have a great time, I'll be watching for the trip report.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That is one awesome looking waterfall. Have a blast and looking forward to the report.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I just realized that I hadn't reported about this trip.

It was easy to forget as the end goal was not achieved.

We easily made it up to Ashton and started our journey east on the Ashton-Flagg Ranch road. Within about five miles of dirt road, I got a flat tire. No big deal, except as we rolled into camp after the last switchback, I was stopped by some staff members who asked if I knew I was leaking oil... It turned out that sometime before the last switchback, I got a second flat tire on my front end and just after the switchback, because of the lower clearance underneath, a rock punctured my oil pan... Luckily, I didn't drive more than 100 yards before I turned off the engine.

To make a long story short, it's a good thing my dad was already up there finishing his weeklong scout camp. We ended up going into St. Anthony to get the two flats fixed and Rexburg to get a tow dolly to pull my car back to Utah.

I didn't get to hike Union Falls this time. The good news is, we're taking our scouts up to Loll this summer and I will make sure I get to hike it.

I also won't be driving my four door car up there either.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I grew up doing our BSA summer camps at camp Loll. I remember completing my mile swim there and thought I was gonna die from hypo that night. Beautiful place for sure.

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I grew up doing our BSA summer camps at camp Loll. I remember completing my mile swim there and thought I was gonna die from hypo that night. Beautiful place for sure.
    It's one of my favorite places. I kept rambling about it to my wife and she'd roll her eyes... until I took her there after ten years of marriage. Once she got there, she understood why I was so fond of the place. Now she understands why I've said that Lake of the Woods was my first love. I swam the mile in that lake each of the three years I was on staff ('90, '91, and '92). That lake is a challenge to swim in no matter how late in the season you do it.

What hikes did you do when you were a scout; Terraced Falls, Survey Peak, Beula Lake, Union Falls?
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    We did Buela and Union Falls every year and a canoe camp out on the far end of the lake. Almost killed one of our leaders by putting a sealed can of corn in the fire and leaving for a moon light paddle. It sounded like a cannon went off when it finally blew and almost got him in the head.

• + New Posts