Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Images
    well, if it blocks more air, it is then a partial vapor barrier so it makes sense that it would be warmer. the epic malibu smaple i ordered looked like it actually had a light coating on it (later found out it is treated with silicone, and it's polyester). i read that somebody made a quilt out of it and reported no condensation problems. i think your and hc's sock with dwr with untreated areas above the head sounds like the way to go.

hc, does your hybrid cause more condensation than the fully untreated one? experienced condensation in either? were they fully closed?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I never had a condensation problem with any of my socks or top covers. The hybrid one I made was only used a couple of times before it got pushed to the bottom of a plastic tote and was forgotten about. I found it and let Hooch use it at the RRG hang out. My sock that I use the most is made from 1.1oz untreated.

From my experience, as long as you have an area of highly breathable material, like untreated ripstop, directly over your head, then condensation doesn't seem to be that big of a problem. Doctari's experience seems to back that up:

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    I actually have the original hammock sock in question.
    HE made the majority of the body with DWR, there is a strip that runs the length of the sock, & about 1.5' wide, that is untreated. IF I put the untreated where it's supposed to go, (On top) I get minimal condensation. If I let it slide around, I get wet. Naturally, if I leave the head end open the condensation is much less.
    HE did make a good point about DWR possibly being warmer. I also think DWR has the potential to be warmer because it restricts air flow.

I am working on a sock right now that will have DWR on the bottom and untreated on the top. I think Just Jeff mentioned having a sock where you could also add a section of NoSeeUm netting for summer use, and that's what I want to try and accomplish:

Last edited by headchange4u; 03-23-2008 at 13:48.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Here's an example of sock with DWR on bottom and untreated along the ridge line. No problems with condensation.

DIY Stuff 001.jpg

DIY Stuff 004.jpg

DIY Stuff 003.jpg

This was in the making phase. I think he added shock cord or somthing simular to close up end.
    Last edited by Lost; 03-23-2008 at 14:22.

Images

Think Gusset

like a full tongue in a boot...the tongue is the mesh, (always there) and the zipper is the lace in the boot....

Zipped closed it's as if there is no mesh, unzipped, even partially and you get venting with mosquito protection....

think of it as an adjustable vent...open a little or a lot.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pretty interesting. Yet foreign to me. In FL I gasp for every bit of ventilation I can find.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    like a full tongue in a boot...the tongue is the mesh, (always there) and the zipper is the lace in the boot....

Zipped closed it's as if there is no mesh, unzipped, even partially and you get venting with mosquito protection....

think of it as an adjustable vent...open a little or a lot.
    Would it save some weight to replace the zipper with some ties made out of 1/2" grossgrain? I was thinking of having a sock that was half sock and half netting, but with ties to be able to close up the netting, and possibly rotate the sock so this netting bundle is on bottom to retain heat better. You could then open it up to allow some bug free ventilation, possibly having some extra ties to bunch up the nylon so it doesn't hang too low?

Any thoughts?

Dave

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doftya View Post
    Any thoughts?
    It might be worth the weight savings to you.

I've used one of these for a lot of nights in the field. Some observations -

- Unless you secure it to a ridgeline in some way, it will rotate as you toss and turn in the hammock. This could cause the netting to vent air when you don't mean for it to.

- When sleeping in changing conditions (warm to cold, or vice versa) it is common to change the amount of venting pretty often. With a zipper, that is very easy to do. It might be more tedious with ties.

- Have a look at skskinner's design shown in pics in this thread. It uses either velcro or omnitape along the top, and has proven to be very user friendly IMO.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 11-04-2008 at 23:58.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doftya View Post
    Would it save some weight to replace the zipper with some ties made out of 1/2" grossgrain? I was thinking of having a sock that was half sock and half netting, but with ties to be able to close up the netting, and possibly rotate the sock so this netting bundle is on bottom to retain heat better. You could then open it up to allow some bug free ventilation, possibly having some extra ties to bunch up the nylon so it doesn't hang too low?

Any thoughts?

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It might be worth the weight savings to you.

I've used one of these for a lot of nights in the field. Some observations -

- Unless you secure it to a ridgeline in some way, it will rotate as you toss and turn in the hammock. This could cause the netting to vent air when you don't mean for it to.

- When sleeping in changing conditions (warm to cold, or vice versa) it is common to change the amount of venting pretty often. With a zipper, that is very easy to do. It might be more tedious with ties.

- Have a look at skskinner's design shown in pics in this thread. It uses either velcro or omnitape along the top, and has proven to be very user friendly IMO.
    If it moves too much it might be too small of a sock. Smaller is better since you will have less space to warm. But too small will compress insulation. A fine line on this one. I usually error on the large side to give me more room to move around.

I thought about doing a half and half one. Just a simple full rectangle with a drawstring at one or both ends. It would also make a good ground bivy. Mainly for the trips where you are not sure if there are bugs or if there are but you are not sure it will be cool enough for a sock.

I'm not a big zipper guy, really anything to hold it closed would work. Just depends on how much of a hassel you are willing to deal with.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    A side note worth considering is whether a larger tarp and something hanging over the ridgeline would be more effective for the weight. A larger tarp with end protection would block more wind and something over the ridgeline would trap in heat. The main benifits of a sock.

Something worth looking into. I would but it's a tropical wonderland where I live now.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567