Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Completed Hammock Sock

I just completed sewing my hammock sock. It is measures 9' long and 45" wide before seams and sewing. I used 1 65"x9' piece of 1.1 DWR ripstop and 1 25"x9' piece of non-coated 1.1 ripstop. At first I only used the non-coated ripstop since that was all I had. But after thinking about it, that might be a good thing. The coated should help stop the wind a little better and provide a little extra protection from any windblown rain. That shouldn't be an issue with the tarp I am using. The non-coated should help ventilate the mosture from my body and breath. Hopefully that will stop any condensation. I have it sewn so that I can hang the non-coated on the either the top or bottom depending on how it works out. The open end is closed using a draw string and cord lock closure.

I know I should post a pic with it, but I was too happy about finishing to wait. I am planning a quick overnight tomarrow night. I'll post pics after that. The temp should be around 30 degrees. I am going to try to find a site close to the lake and hopefully get closer to 20.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I weigthed it and it comes in at 10.6 oz. I think that the uncoated ripstop I have might actually be 1.9 oz. That could account for some of the weight. I could trim it down where the foot end is and save a couple ozs.

After making it, I think that Jeff's and Risk's versions that use a zipper across the top are a lighter way to go. I think that trimming the extra material on both the head and foot end offsets the weight of the zipper and then some.

In the end this only came in 2 or 3 ozs heavier than Jeff's and Rick's version. With my sewing skills I am happy with that.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    it's a learning process isn't it? trial & error<g>
    i`ll be looking forward to hearing how it performs for you this weekend & seeing pictures.
    i`m torn between hammock projects & other stuff i need to be doing, but i've got a shell project in the planing stages too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Hey, are you taking this on the AT next year?
    This is my signature.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hey, are you taking this on the AT next year?
    If it works as well as I think it will I am.

I don't have a whole lot of nights in my hammock, but everyone of them were with a hammock sock at 40 degrees or below. I'm totally sold on using one, and I think they work awesome as part of a complete system. A couple of nights were colder than I felt comfortable using the hammock with the insulation I was carrying. One night I just slept under my quilts, while the next night everything went inside the hammock sock like using a bivy. That made a world of difference warmth-wise.

If I did another thru-hike, I could see using making 2 socks. One would be nothing but .75 nylon for cold weather use, and the other would be .75 oz nylon with a netting top for the bug season.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I've never seen one of these...I've got a vision in my head kind of like a Speer Peapod, but have no clue if that's right.

So question...if you use a hammock sock and underquilt, do you still need to use a ccf pad for really cold temps?

Anyone have a pic of this thing?
    This is my signature.

Hammock Sock

Basically a hammock sock is just a tube made out of nylon with drawstrings on the ends. Mine was a quick and dirty affair sewn from 2 sections of 50" x approx 9.5 feet of $1 nylon. Jeff just has some photos on his site, and here are a few from my Cape Fear River trip. I'll put up some more later when I get them loaded onto Flicker. I'm also going to put up a quick page on sewing one of these things together, along with sewing the down quilt in the photos.

Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's almost like a PeaPod. A PeaPod snugs right against the bottom of the hammock to provide insulation, where the sock hangs down away from the hammock to give you dead air space between your insulation and the wind. So a sock is basically a bigger version than a PeaPod, but with no insulation. Its purpose is to provide an air pocket between your insulation and the wind, where the PeaPod's purpose is to provide insulation.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top &amp; Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, after reading about hammock socks on several of the sites mentioned, would it be possible to put a strip of noseeum in the top of the sock to completely eliminate concerns about condensation? I was thinking maybe a six or eight inch strip either running the whole length, or just at the head end. Just a thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast