Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gathered End or Channel ?

Ive seen examples online fo both types of ends of hammocks and have a question. Is there a advantage to one or the other thinking that I will make a hammock with a ridgeline for a bugnet and bag for glasses etc. Is one stronger than the other. It seems the channel one is much neater but the gatherned seemed to emphasize that you could affect the edge of the hammock by pulling out the edge end a bit when gathering before tieing it up. Thanks for any opinions.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    You're correct about the gather and the ability to cinch up the edges. My preference is the channel for a few reasons; 1) The ball that is created with a channel is (IMO) a more secure method of attaching to whoopies or straps, etc. 2) I've had gathered-end whipping slip - see #1. 3) You can add shock cord in the length of the hammock to take up some of the extra fabric like Knotty did here with his Stretch-Side Hammock. 4) I make my hammocks 11' long and the channel seems (again, IMO) more comfortable.

All in all, it's personal preference. I've made both and for me, I only use the channel method. I hope that helps and please post pics of which ever method you make.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A channel is a channel,once made there isnt a real chance of changing the lay of the hammock.

A gathered end can be adjusted back and forth and tweaked to how you like it.

Both are comfy. Both have been proven dependable. Flip a coin and make it.
    If you do make a channel, it can be made into a gathered. or vice versa so you really dont loose anything. Besides you'll be making more in a week or two...its all part of the hammock brainwashing.

Repeat after me:
    I will build more gear
    I will buy more gear
    I will talk more gear
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great question! I am about to make my next hammock and have been agonizing over this. In the past, I have done my ends Warbonnet style (starts with a small channel but ends up whipped). My Switchback, which is my most comfortable hammock, runs the suspension lines through a large, open channel (with lots of stitching).

The Warbonnet style is easy but I'm wondering if the large channel is part of the magic of the Switchback's comfort.

Syb, how many lines of stitching do you use on your channels? And do you double over the fabric, or what? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I made a gathered end, folded ala HeadChanger with a fixed ridgeline below the Channel and it was incredibly comfortable. I have made a couple since and even bought one (I still can't believe I did that) and they have not been as comfortable as the first. I haven't tried Knotty's shock cord trick though. That Knotty is really somthing... he always has a fresh approach and so darned good at explaining things too.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    You can always sew the channel and whip it in the gathered style. That's what I did.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My hammock is gathered with no whipping. While experimenting I was trying different gathers and started with rubber bands for whipping. This allowed changing the gather quickly.Eventually stopped using the rubber bands. I use a muletape loop larksheaded around the gathered end and haven't had any falls. Been sleeping fulltime in the hammock now for three weeks and still experimenting (new stand). The only problem I have is getting out in the mornings. Can't comment on the channel style. At this time I'm using headchanges roll on the head end and Jeff's W on the foot.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    And, you can sew a few channels with different arcs. Thread the one you want to try. Or, fitting different stiff "rings" with different arcs through the channel, you could also easily change the effective lengths of the different parts of the bed.

Or you could sew several alternative channels to the end or ends of your hammock, using a separate piece of cloth for each.
    A Clark in plain view has just one straight channel of different fabric, 1 1/2" wide, sewn to each end. Why not another channel, with a pronounced arc, right on top of the the one that's there? (4" with doubling x 50"wide = 200sq in . Divide by (36 x 36) and multiply by 60grams (wt sq yd) * 2 ends to see a weight penalty of just 20 extra grams for the alternative channel.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
    You can always sew the channel and whip it in the gathered style. That's what I did.
    +1...This lets you use it either way.

I always sew in the channel and give it a try. If it needs tweaked, I just gather and whip.

I find the channel provides enough extra bulk that if I "gather and whip", the whipping can't slip off.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    I made a gathered end, folded ala HeadChanger with a fixed ridgeline below the Channel and it was incredibly comfortable. I have made a couple since and even bought one (I still can't believe I did that) and they have not been as comfortable as the first. I haven't tried Knotty's shock cord trick though. That Knotty is really somthing... he always has a fresh approach and so darned good at explaining things too.
    Thanks for the kind works.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast