Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AL Pinhoti section hike

Anyone interested in doing a chunk of the Pinhoti trail sometime in august or september? I'm wanting to hike about 30 or so miles of it, more if others are interested in covering some distance. I'm mainly interested in the AL section of the trail.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I'll go. I'm a 27 man from Jackson, AL. I'm pretty familiar with the cheaha area of the pinhoti. My favorite spot is the cave creek/pinhoti/chinabee trail areas of cheaha. Some sections of the pinhoti in that area have been clear cut too, I think maybe south of the park, I hiked though a clear cut on a section and was pretty bummed out. I had to go somewhere else in the park.
    But yea I'm down for a good section once it cools off. My girlfriend is not into extended hikes yet so it will just be me.

Kurt

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I might be interested, but it would have to be in September. I have ben wanting to hike some of the Pinhoti, love that area. Not sure the schedule will work out though....but keep me in the loop.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd also be interested in some hiking of the Pinhoti. I've only done the cave creek trail and it was good fun. I'm good for September also.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Interested for sure, keep me in the loop. I'm wanting to do the whole Alabama part next spring.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

the sections that I am looking at getting to hike are sections 10,9 and 8 which come out just south of 40 mi. A date is not set, mainly because I have nearly infinite free time. If anyone is still interested in doing this hike, suggest times that would be good for you September was discussed initially, and it looks like it is shaping up to be a fair weather month.

If someone has hiked the trail before, and would like to suggest different alabama sections to hike, I'm more than open to suggestions, I've never been on the trail before, so my choices were just gathered from reading done at http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html

thanks,

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    A good place to start in my experience is Cheaha mountain in Anniston. There's a nice parking lot just below the summit and offices. Not sure what section number this is but it's beatiful. Theres a couple of other trails that start here and make for really nice loops alongside the pinhoti. Great hangin spots too. I've got some maps if you want a general idea of the area.
    This is really the best section to do if you have to pick one.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by calcmuzzy View Post
    If someone has hiked the trail before, and would like to suggest different alabama sections to hike, I'm more than open to suggestions, I've never been on the trail before, so my choices were just gathered from reading done at http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html

thanks,
    I hiked the whole trail (AL + GA) last winter.

AL Section 8 has a portion that was clear-cut in the last year, so it's not as nice as it could be.

Sections 5-6-7 make a nice hike (Cheaha area), but it is the most hiked section of the entire trail. While it's a beautiful and rocky ridge walk, depending on your desire for solitude you might look at some of the others instead.

Sections 9-13 are less-traveled, and quite beautiful. There's only very moderate altitude change in them, but they wind around some really beautiful countryside, and there are 4 different scenic watershed lakes along the way.

Sections 28-31 are also especially nice, if you wanted something more remote and mountainous (Cohuttas).

I would not hike Section 4 until there is more rain in the fall. It's a nice ridge walk like Cheaha, but the only reliable water is near the very end.

If you have specific questions about any section, I'll be happy to help.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    A good place to start in my experience is Cheaha mountain in Anniston. There's a nice parking lot just below the summit and offices. Not sure what section number this is but it's beatiful. Theres a couple of other trails that start here and make for really nice loops alongside the pinhoti. Great hangin spots too. I've got some maps if you want a general idea of the area.
    This is really the best section to do if you have to pick one.
    Can you PM the map? sounds like a cool place and I'd like to see the trails there in the area.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Check this one out. The pinhoti is actually a combo of the red, green, and yellow lines on this map I think. It runs along the ridge. The cave creek and chinabbe trails are awesome loops. The parking lot I mentioned is the Cheaha Trailhead labeled at the top. There is a great hang spot where the cave creek trail and nubbin creek trail meet, one of many other great spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast