Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Lawson Equip. HexaLite Cuben Fiber CTF3 Hammock Tarp (Pic Heavy)

So I received the package in the mail that was a padded envelope which felt like a couple pairs of socks rolled up inside. Looking at the return label I was surprised to discover this was my new cuben tarp and stakes from Lawson Equipment. Very compact and light. After ripping into the package I pulled out the small cuben pouch which fits nicely in my big paws, amazed at how light and small this 11'x7'x9' tarp packs. Shoot, I could store it inside my cook pot. So now I gotta go set this thing up.

It was a beautiful sunny but hot day out, this would be perfect for testing its shade and reflective values. Setup was quick and easy as I expected, I attached it to a continues ridge line via prussics using the eyelets in the ridge tie outs. This is also the first time I have used LineLoc's and must say, I love them. Super fast to adjust tightness of the tie outs. I used the reflective glowire Lawson also sells and really like the brightness. My first setup was below the ridge line, I was very please out how drum tight you could set it up, then I setup with the ridge line under the tarp. Again, very pleased at the tightness. I can see why side tie outs would not be needed. I pushed on the sides and it would take a really really stiff wind to blow this into the sides of the hammock. It would probably pull the ground stakes out before that happened.

After getting everything setup I started inspecting the tie out areas, seams, and overall construction of the tarp. Flawless is the only word I can use to describe the work. I set it up both in shade and direct sunlight to test its reflective and shade value. In the shade, it felt like any other tarp would probably feel with exception that you could still see through it a little. Now in the sun is where this tarp shines, literally. I was very pleased when I setup in the sun. You could actually feel a noticeable temperature difference inside. I don't know if it was just the shade value, or a combination of shade and this tarps ability to reflect the suns rays. Either way, my normal sylnylon tarp would be very hot in this condition. When standing outside, if you get in the correct angle at which the sun is reflecting, it is blinding, not quite mirror blinding, but bright. This thing would come in handy if you got lost and needed rescued.

All and all I am very pleased, happy, content, just plain out satisfied with this purchase. Lawson has a great product and craftsmanship is top notch. I would not hesitate to order again. Now I can't wait for attachable doors.

Tie Outs
    Tie are as stated on Lawson's site. "Our grosgrain webbing tieout’s are double reinforced, bonded and then bar-tacked in place using a very long and wide zig zag stitch pattern to make sure we don't over sew the material and weaken it in any way." I saw no flaws in any tie outs.
    Corner Tie Outs.

Upper Tie Outs.

Reinforcement of tieouts from inside.

Bonding
    The edges and ridge seams are bonded very well, nice and even all the way around.

View from Inside out in the shade.

View from Inside out in Direct Sun looking at it.

Some Setup Pics in the shade.

Porch Mode

Setup in direct sunlight
    Check out the shade this tarp provides when setup in direct sunlight.

Here we have a couple pics of the sunny side of the tarp. I swear you could feel heat coming from it, and very blinding as it was reflecting the light. This was very good in the fact that you could feel a noticeable difference in temperature on the inside. It does it's job of reflecting heat and sun from you.

Lastly, a pic from inside looking out when setup in direct sunlight.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great pictures and review. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That looks like an awesome piece of gear - Congrats!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's an awesome looking tarp! The reflective surface adds another dimension to the cuben tarp!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Great report and picts thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

Beat me to the punch

+1 on everything crackedup said. Just got mine this week; not only did Lawson make a fantastic piece of gear, he went above and beyond to make sure I had it in time for my trip. All I can add to the OP is that the included cuben stuff sack will easily accommodate stakes and ridgeline with some room to spare. First outdoor hang with it begins tomorrow, with pics to follow.

Since you don't see many complaints on these threads, here's one: Packing and rolling that thing up so compactly for shipping (the pairs of socks description above was spot on) was SUCH a tease, Lawson. No way will I ever get that thing packed up like that again! Maybe after some more practice, but I'm perfectly content with the way it disappears in my pack even with my jacked up attempt at recreating those mail order "socks."

Any cuben veterans out there that can attest to these tarps 'loosening up' over time? Meaning, will they become less stiff, easier to roll, etc.? Not complaining, just wonderig if they break in after use. And any recommendations for storing them?

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Thanks all, I forgot to mention the colors. As you can see in the photos, the outside is a greenish color. The inside is almost like the dull side of aluminum foil. I can't wait until the cold weather hits to try this thing out. It should do as stated and reflect heat inside. Hopefully Lawson gets the detachable doors figured out before the cold weather fly's.

I agree Flangler, it was packed up allot smaller than I could get it in the field. But I did manage to get it very close by folding it similar to the way it was shipped then rolling. It took a little longer than just smashing it down into the sack, but the benefit of having it so small to stash in a pocket if I wanted to is great.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    looks really good...
    i like the pullouts on yours....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I too have one of these tarps. The reason I picked it was for the reflective properties of the tarp .Since I live in California The sun can really suck the life out of you at time. It was 103 degrees the other day and I put up the tarp to see how it would hold up. I can say have your sunglasses on, as it is a bright reflective solar mirror. But under the tarp it was very nice to have shade. Larson sent me out some of his new reflective line. You might want to consider this as an option. I tried lash it, Dynaglide , para cord, mason line and this new 2.2 reflective line . Hands down this line is the best and for $10 it's a steel.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Nice write up. I agree on all counts. Really like it. Get to test it out in 3 weeks in the Porkies. I'm liking the line. That is a great price for what you get.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast