Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammock Hate

I think the one thing that I find as a disadvantage about hammocks is you can't leave them unattended. At the moment I mostly car camp and I like to set up camp and during he day maybe leave to pick up something or find a fishing spot. I left my tent many times with never a concern about whether it would be there when I returned but I can't say the same for the hammock. It goes with me even at the risk of losing the spot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Hammocks = Nirvana. Wish I discovered it years ago... hate that I didn't!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I hate not being in one right now - does that count?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    I think the one thing that I find as a disadvantage about hammocks is you can't leave them unattended. At the moment I mostly car camp and I like to set up camp and during he day maybe leave to pick up something or find a fishing spot. I left my tent many times with never a concern about whether it would be there when I returned but I can't say the same for the hammock. It goes with me even at the risk of losing the spot.
    Maybe you could take a teeny tiny tent and use it as a placeholder?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Good idea.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Not for the best tent

Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    Must be an East Coast thing.. left mine before with no problems.
    The thing I hate about my hammock is that I miss the hip and should pain that I used to always get on the ground.. as a side sleeper I could always count on my hips cheerfully waking me up each morning.
    I also miss the crawling out that I had to do in my tent.. it really sucks that I can't bump around in the dark on my knees anymore... arrgh.
    But seriously.. since I have yet to fall out.. have fallen down.. lesson learned there.. but I would not trade my hammock for the best tent.

Jerry

because a good portion of the awesome shiny new gear that is available in stores is meant for ground dwelling
    That's b/c ground dwellers need gear to remain comfortable.

Ground dwelling doesn't end the social time there, hammocks do.
    Very true, unless you find the 'perfect grove' hammocks are spread out by several yards, and the boogy man can find you a lot easier.

I miss the warmth of my Hammock Princess. ): (but neither one of us is willing to go back to the tent)
    yes, hammocks do make 'social time' quite a bit more difficult, but that is part of the fun

I bought a ENO doublenest and played with it for 6 months. I have never been even close to comfortable in that hammock.
    Really, even in a double, I recently bought some cheapo fabric at wally world that was only 36 in. wide. So I put 3 pieces together for a 'double'. The seams did not stretch like the rest of the fabric and unless you got the perfect lay, you could feel the seams on your back. Was this what you were experiencing?? I ended up giving the hammock to a couple that just moved into a new place. . it's their first hammock, and they don't know any better

I look like a wimp
    You just need to buy/make more gear

I left my tent many times with never a concern about whether it would be there when I returned but I can't say the same for the hammock
    I think this is b/c nobody 'knows' if somebody is in a tent. obviously you can tell if someone is in a hammock, so if nobody is around...poof its gone. Since you car camp, you may need to Ferris Bueller your hammock when you leave it. That also works for the HOV lane.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I love my hammock(s) - only "dislike" is that I don't have more of them.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    I hate the feeling of sleeping thru until sunrise in a hammock instead of waking up every 15 minutes to roll to my other side because my hip and shoulder hurt so bad from laying on the ground. How am I supposed to hear the bears coming?

I hate that they make things like BlackBirds and Phoenix quilts that once again are out of reach as my son's wedding next week has drained the savings account. I'm afraid the BlackBird & quilt envy must continue yet another year. Sigh...

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

In MY hammock world,

everyone is a multicolored unicorn who eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Or is that eat butterflies and poop rainbows? I always get confused on that aspect.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast