Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    hi ZQ --- this is kinda getting to be like all the alcohol stovies with a million ways to do it better...sorry...........BUT.. i just thought of something.....what if the ends of the net at the whip/knot were reattatched w/velcro and reinforced ripstop , for a few inches maybe, the zips could end there and not get complicated at the sharp angle at the end ? then it could completely remove, or wrap around the ridgeline.....just a thought ....think it might work???
    tbob2guns,
    I am impressed and enjoy your creativity!! Yes, there are many ways to do the zipper mods. I am satisfied with the quality & durablilty of the mods we do. With the time I have to put into the mods, I will, for now, stay with the 3 mods. Never say never, though...you never know what the future holds!! But, for me, if at all, it won't be in the near future. ZQ
    Last edited by 2Questions; 01-23-2009 at 23:50.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Hey... if I ever decide to have the zipper mod done... you are getting the nod. At this point, I don't see the point as I am limited to the bottom entry by my mobility issues. I don't mind standing in the bottom slit and messing around inside. But frankly... It would be worth my time and effort to let you do the work. Especially for what you charge for the job. And that's not because DIY is scary to me. I just don't need to reinvent the wheel.
    Thank you for your compliment....it is very appreciated! ZQ

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If _I_ were going to make the bug net completely removable I thin I would have essential an oval area revoved from the existing pug net. The zipper tape would effectively reinforce the netting and the whipping ends would remain intact. I would start and finish the two separating zippers at the diagonal tie outs providing an easy access to the zipper pulls from inside the hammock while the net is installed.

The zipper would run along the side arcing up and over the ridgeline and down to the other side. the next zipper would then pick up from the end of the first and follow the equivalent path aroungd the other end. The would of course leave a wedge of netting attached to the whipped ends. The price one pays to have a removable panel in the netting.

Just my two cents. I don't even kknow if it would work. But that solves the zipper over lap issue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    hello ZQ --- yeah, i agree with you--tried and proven is better.........prototypes take alot of time and energy and discards and redesign... and then it might look good, and blow up on the first turn..................maybe the less choices the better: mod# 1 or mod# 1 or mod # 1.....

let me scratch my brain awhile and i'll let you know which one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    hello ZQ --- yeah, i agree with you--tried and proven is better.........prototypes take alot of time and energy and discards and redesign... and then it might look good, and blow up on the first turn..................maybe the less choices the better: mod# 1 or mod# 1 or mod # 1.....

let me scratch my brain awhile and i'll let you know which one.

Hi again bob2guns!! If you want to top load, I would recommend that you choose mod 2 or 3. In my opinion, it puts too much stress at the tie out point as you sit down on mod 1, since the zipper stops at that point. Actually, we haven't done a mod 1 since we started doing the mod 2. The idea for the mod 2 came from the desire to top load a HH. We look forward to hearing from you again with your decision. ZQ

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If _I_ were going to make the bug net completely removable I thin I would have essential an oval area removed from the existing pug net. The zipper tape would effectively reinforce the netting and the whipping ends would remain intact. I would start and finish the two separating zippers at the diagonal tie outs providing an easy access to the zipper pulls from inside the hammock while the net is installed.

The zipper would run along the side arcing up and over the ridgeline and down to the other side. the next zipper would then pick up from the end of the first and follow the equivalent path around the other end. The would of course leave a wedge of netting attached to the whipped ends. The price one pays to have a removable panel in the netting.

Just my two cents. I don't even know if it would work. But that solves the zipper over lap issue.
    That's a good idea and sounds like it would work, but I think the issue will be in finding zips long enough, unless there is a way to use the continuous zips?.

Can you just put those little point zipper locating things on the end of the continues zip and then be able to separate it that way?
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    That's a good idea and sounds like it would work, but I think the issue will be in finding zips long enough, unless there is a way to use the continuous zips?.

Can you just put those little point zipper locating things on the end of the continues zip and then be able to separate it that way?

No, You can not make a separating zipper out of an continuous one. That would be great if you could. The separating zipper, as far as I know, has to be purchased that way. It is made differently....look at a jacket. There are special bottoms that accepts the zipper pull on one side and keeps the zipper pull on the other side. Do a google search for separating zippers and see what you come up with. ZQ

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Longest I've seen is 108".
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Found this site.
    http://www.zipperstop.com/id19.htm?g...FRFWagod7hudnQ

They offer custom length zippers for an extra $1.

Hammock
    WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now is my time to add to the praises of 2Q and ZQ. I received my HH back yesterday in good time, considering I live in Canada. There were no extra duty or brokerage charges because the package was labelled as a "repair" and "returned goods".

Last night I took it for a test run and I must say that I am another satisfied customer. The mod(#2) does look like an original feature on the HH and the workwomanship is fantastic.

Donna and Tim, my hat is off to you, thank you for your great skill and customer service.

Dale

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast