Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quick update on HH bugnet mods;
    For an additional $5, ZQ will completely remove the velcro from the entry slit and sew up the slit. We have been offering just sewing the slit closed for $5, but some have requested removing the velcro to give a softer feel under the legs. If you would like us to do that when you get one of the mods, cost is $10. Thanks.
    2Q

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yesterday a package arrived from Lititz, PA! I hung my "new" #2 mod Explorer with the bugnet furled, and assembled the supershelter. Here's how the change affected my hang.

Folks are not exaggerating when they say that ZQ does a great job. The zippers work easily, even past the tie-outs; where you anticipate resistance, there is none. The ends tuck themselves just right as you close the zippers, so there is no opening for 'skeeters. I asked ZQ to remove the velcro. Where the opening used to be, it looks like there never was one.

Installing the UC, OCF pad, supplemental CCF pad and other stuff in the UC is easier with the bugnet furled because you can get more of the hammock out of the way. However, the hammock tends to fall down into itself because the bottom is lightly supported by the loose UC and it's elastic support. I had to fluff and stow the bunt so that it was all where it needs to be.

Once I got the tie-outs rigged, it was easy to arrange the layers. I draped some of the hammock edges over the OCF pad. The part of the hammock to the left of your head, as you lay down, I draped over the OCF pad suspension line. Normally, all of that material would be suspended by the bugnet. Once you get in the hammock, it all goes where it should.

Adjusting the height of the hammock was completely different, as expected. Since the bottom entrance is closed, I hung the hammock lower and with less tension than I did before the mod. It is much easier to achieve the right hang on the first try.

Hanging the tarp is different when you separate the hammock from the tarp. I attached the tarp to the trees below the hammock's tree huggers, low enough to walk under, but still close to the hammock. Hanging the hammock lower makes hanging a separate tarp much easier.

I anticipate that the #2 mod may take me away from the supershelter. This weekend I'll try a quilt.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●

any feedback from field testers??

i'm leaning toward the mod 3 now........tough decisions to make w/o trying things out........but seems like mod 3 would be quicker to get out of w/both zips at 3/4 length near elbow....and seems like it would go in the snakes better rolled full length---but it doesnt look like there are ties ??
    anybody got one, and then wish they got the other?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    There seems to be some confusion for some in the differences in the mods. I created this little diagram to show the zippers, which way they open, and a few notes in general. Hope this helps. 2Q

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I got Mod #2 Left... I've had it in the backyard for three days. It's the correct mod for me. For some reason, I get in and out to the left. Even when I used to get in through the bottom, the left side was the camp side. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in Chapel Hill...

When the left side tie out at my shoulder is rigged, my legs swing out at the low point, so the tie-out is beside me to my left. When I leave the bugnet rigged, I'll use only the full length zipper on the left side.

I like the single, full length zipper because you can take the zipper with you as you lie down. Likewise, as you sit up to get out, you can unzip with the same motion. Kinda like the motion you use with a rowing shell...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    thanks 2Q---looks like the zips end at the tieout..so if the zip is on the left side, they both close at the tieout next to my left elbow ?? that would work good i think....how about ties??
    can they be installed on the right side, ya think, maybe ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    thanks 2Q---looks like the zips end at the tieout..so if the zip is on the left side, they both close at the tieout next to my left elbow ?? that would work good i think....how about ties??
    can they be installed on the right side, ya think, maybe ?
    Your question about ties.... Are you thinking (on a Mod 3 Left) that you can roll the netting up and tie it to the entire right side? That's not possible. Because its secured at both ends of the hammock, all you can do is pull it under the ridgeline, fold it in half lengthwise and throw it over the ridgeline.

The only mod where you can tie it to a side is Mod #2. The netting is disconnected from the head end allowing you to roll it up and secure it against the side.

2Q

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    yu kno wat ---- that double mod 3 somebody talked about , might be a real nice way to go.....i'm sure you could figure out the mechanics of it better than anybody////then when it's completely unzipped, the net could be rolled around the ridgeline w/elastic stops or whatever...not a bad idea if it gets off the ground ???

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I plan to mod my HH this weekend with two full length zips so as I can zip the netting right off.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    yu kno wat ---- that double mod 3 somebody talked about , might be a real nice way to go.....i'm sure you could figure out the mechanics of it better than anybody////then when it's completely unzipped, the net could be rolled around the ridgeline w/elastic stops or whatever...not a bad idea if it gets off the ground ???
    Hi, This is ZQ. I looked into the possibility of doing the double mod 3. There is too much involved to have the zippers come together at each end of the hammock (zippers can't overlap), and properly secure them so they don't weaken the structure of the netting or rip out from the body of the hammock. This is more work than I have time to get into. I am very meticulous, and if I don't feel comfortable with the quality of the outcome, and if I can't achieve that, either by time or ability, then I won't do it. The hammock mods started out as a favor for my husband and brother. We started offering them on Hammock forums and White Blaze. I greatly enjoy making the HH's more functional for people, but I have to limit the time involved with the mods. I have a regular sewing business and these hammock mods are fitted into an already busy schedule.

Having said this....I do want to work with ideas that "hangers" come up with. This is how I came up with the mod 2 & 3, and at first, sewing the velcro shut. Then I had a request to remove the velcro and then sew the opening shut.

bob2guns...I am trying to understand your question about the ties. That is why I had 2Q ask you earlier to explain what you are trying to achieve with the ties. Please further explain for me, so I can understand and decide what I can/can't do for you.

ZQ (Donna)

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast