Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm really not vey experienced with zippers. I need more practice before I commit to cutting my bugnet. Besides her work looks top notch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Bring it on over...she can get at it fairly quickly....we only have 5 in front of you and some are "no hurry" customers.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    FYI Several were asking. The full zipper mod adds 3.7ozs. to the hammock.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I got my HH back from 2Questions. I can't tell you how cool it is! The craftsmanship is flawless. As perfect as the pictures 2Q posted.

The zippers glide with no snags or rough spots.

Having the one long zipper and being able to tie off the netting to get it completely out of the way is so cool. Being able to open and close it with the zippers while laying down in it is even cooler.

There's nothing about it that I don't like. It made this hammock even better. I used to feel a little claustrophobic in the HH but no more! Having the zippers has totally made that feeling go away even when completely zipped.

I threw my Oware pad and pillow inside and didn't want to get out of it. I can't think of a better mod for the HH. I can totally recommend it to anyone who has an HH. You won't be sorry.

2Q - thank you and thank your wife for me. I am one . . .

Happy Camper
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 04-02-2008 at 17:11.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    So HappyCamper: Does it seem that you can now top-enter the hammock like Speer-style hammocks without causing undue strain on any seams?

I would guess that it would work and that would make the Holy Grail of HH hammocks!

Thanks

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    There is no undue strain on any seams. When everything is zipped up, the ridgeline holds the netting up out of the way but it does not pull the netting tight on any seams or tight on the zippers.

Using a pad inside is no longer a problem.

With the long zipper and the ribbon tie, you can get the netting completely out of the way and the HH becomes a top entry and you can easily use it as a hammock chair or lounger.

The ribbon tie is such a good way of keeping the netting out of the way, I may add a second ribbon to help tie off the netting a little more and just cause it's easy enough to do the way 2Questions wife has done it. But I'm not sure yet that it's necessary.

When I want to use the netting I zip the long zipper up part way, lay down in the hammock and finish zipping the hammock closed above my head on both sides. The zippers have pulls on both sides -- inside and out.

I can pull the zippers down on both sides to reach out and get whatever I need. I can now stick my hands out on both sides to feel how well my underquilt is fitting under the hammock.

To get out, it's easy to pull the zippers down far enough to exit out or I can exit out of the bottom. With a pad in the hammock or when using my No Sniv as an underquilt, I will definitely use the zippers to exit. I see myself now using the zipper to exit much more than the split because they work so well.

The zippers are of excellent quality and they are black. They don't look like a modification. They look like that's the way HH made the hammock. Nice!

Of course, I just got the hammock back and don't know if there will be any long term issues, but my immediate report is that the zipper modification done by 2Question wife is great!

I'll be bringing it to the MAHHA hang at the end of this month and 2Questions told me that he is planning to attend as well.

HC

PS: 2Q -- When your wife start hammocking (when -- not if), her trail name should be ZipQ (for ZipperQueen).
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 04-03-2008 at 05:30.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter +
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thanks to 2QWife

I received my HH explorer back this past week while I was off chasing trout in Colorado. Just took it out of the package and had a chance to inspect the hammock. In a word, the craftsmanship is fantastic. I highly suspect that the quality is better than what HH could/would do if it came from the factory!

As Happy Camper stated above, the zippers are black and look OEM in appearance. All sewing is professionally uniform.

I'll try to get it strung up and hang tested in the next couple of days.

Thanks to 2Q and wife!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    2Q you may get to retire now. Everything that Happy Camper and TexasRT said were correct. If your wife isn't too overburdened I would like to send my other HH in for the modifications. Only problem ypu may have is that so many people like it Hennessy may start doing it. If someone is concerned about weight, it would be a little lighter with the half zip and you can easily get in and out. Although I have to say it's nice to roll it up.
    Much thanks

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Glad your happy with the zipper installation. It definitely provides access capability doesn't it!! Send your other HH, glad to do it for you.

As for Hennessy hammocks manufacturing some type of removable bug net..don't count them out. I spoke with Tom about him adding a zipper option and even sent him the detailed pictures of my installation. He thanked me for the interest and has had several requests to have a removable bugnet. He says someday he may do something but for now his philosophy is reflected in his statement, "My theory of design is to make something better by making it simpler, lighter and cheaper - improving by subtracting a part rather than adding one." Time will tell, but in the meantime, as long as my wife is able, we will offer to do the zipper modification.

Thanks for the kind words...I'll be treating my wife real special for quite a while for all the praises you guys have lavished on her. HC gave her the name "Zipper Queen" and we've all had a laugh..it may stick!
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    2Q & "ZQ",

I yard tested my "new" hammock last night. Setup in the dark. Was the easiest setup that I've ever had with my HH. I tied the netting back and completely out of the way and that's the way it stayed all night.

Got down to 40 degrees. Used the JRB larger tarp and the No Sniv as an underquilt. Used my WM Summerlite as the top quilt. I threw my Oware pad in just to see how it worked . Was great. Using a pad is a non-issue now.

I'm so confident in the HH to meet my different needs now, that it really is like having a completely new hammock.

HC

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast