WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing

Need Advice: Quilt vs Bag for trip?

I'm going to Sequoia Kings Canyon in September wiith 3 friends. The average temp at night is supposed to be in the mid 40s but can, on occasion, get down to the low 20s. Unfortunately I'll be leaving the hammock home on this trip (Blasphemy! I know) and sharing a 2p tent with one of my buddies.

My question is... Does anyone have experience using the 3-Season burrow in a tent with a pad? I'm a cold side sleeper that tends to toss and turn frequently (not so much in the hammock, though). I like the idea of bringing the quilt as it is lighter and less confining than a bag. I'm just worried the quilt might be too drafty making the potential low's a little risky.

The 3 guys I'm going with have much more backpacking experience (especially in this environment) than I do and they've somewhat poo-pooed my idea (they still haven't accepted the hammock either. So it may just be quilt-ignorance on their part). I just don't want to regret my decision (at 10,000 feet) and wind up being the cold, weak link.

What do you think... Will the quilt & pad combo work or should I borrow/purchase a bag?

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

quilts work great

I can't speak to the burrow specifically but I've had no problem using my te wa quilt while backpacking in the Sierras where it gets down to those temps. Having a wider quilt does help eliminate drafts. I think you'll be just fine with the burrow. Just make sure to take a warm hat.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Depends on how much you toss and turn I guess. I can't speak from experience here, but if you really are concerned, it seems like the weight penalty may be worth the reliable good sleep. I know lots of UL backpackers that sleep on the ground *gasp* use quilts, so it is doable!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I don't have a burrow but i have used a Quilt on the ground i found it better to have a nice wide pad if you use it this way and a bivy ... the bivy will help with drafts any cheap bivy will do you can find one for around $30 if you look around

also if you can sew i sewed a few tabs on the side of my quilts so if i ever used them on the ground i add some shock cord and used it to hold the quilt down around the pad this helps with drafts as well but the bivy works better
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    ^^^yeah. if you can loop some shocketh from the quilt around your pad.. i'd go for it.

i've been tempted to re- purpose the "sleeping bag" in the hmmk on occasion... something about -once you've struggled to get in the bag- you know you're good. =======no 'tucking' the quilt. the weight penalty exists.. sure... in extreme cold, there's nothing like a draft collar.

makes me want a feathered friends wren...................
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    A quilt is definately do-able on the ground, I've done it plenty of times and my hiking friends are all evil tenters who never like my hammock. Get a few trips in with them, make them lay in your hammock etc, I've swung a few from the dark side to "our" side...

First question would be how wide are you in the shoulders ??

If you have a burrow try laying down and seeing if it will wrap around you with a little bit of extra to tuck underneath ??

Mines 6" wider than standard for a bit of extra coverage as you don't want any gaps. Loops on the sides help with some bungie cord as you can slip your pad into the burrow (if it's not too wide) and it will minimise gaps.

I don't have a bag anymore but if your so uncertain could you borrow one of a friend.

Just check that burrow width and wrap with your sleeping style first, any large gaps will be BAD BAD.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    the width will really be your key determining factor. practice at home first

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'll have to double-check but I believe the Burrow has a couple of loops that I can run some shock cord through and wrap around a pad. I'm 5'7", 175# and have the cheap Therm-A-Rest (72x20x1) that I can use as a test for fit but will definitely be getting a new (lighter/more comfortable) pad before the trip. I've been looking at some with a higher R-Value (Exped/Big Agnes) to compensate for no bottom isulation in the quilt and insulate from the cold ground. Also considering a pair of light weight down pants as insurance (along with my Patagonia Nano Puff).

Thanks for all the great feedback (I knew this was the right place to turn for advice). Sounds like the consensus is I'll be fine using my Burrow. I'll pull it out of th closet to do a fit test and see about adding the shock cord.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The length/width of the Burrow is 78" x 50".

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you can always look over at BPL for a pad alot of times they comes up over there cheap .... i seen therma-rest (older ones) sell for $20-25
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast