Resizing or reshaping a tarp....

I made a basic rectangle, 12 by 10 silnylon tarp with the center seam lengthwise. Now I'm curious about how you would reshape or resize this tarp. Most tarps I see seem to be a trapzoid or cat cut and are fairly tight to the hammock when rigged. I've got a nice garage space so laying the tarp out and re shaping wouldn't be a problem. With the way prices are for silnylon would you reuse this tarp or start fresh from a new fabric. I like the looks of the other shapes. What would you do.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    I've got a sil 10 x 12 that I've been thinking about giving some cat cuts to the bottom edges and adding doors. Haven't done it yet, still mapping it out on paper.
    Reduce-Reuse-Recycle
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a DIY junkie on a tight budget so if I were to do it, I think i'll just have it re-shape. When I made my winter tarp....(...even though there is no winter here in the Philippines ) I used the measurements from this drawing. I made a 6" deep catcut by using the 'string' method(pinning a rope up to a wall, and tracing the curve.) 'got this idea from this thread. Made a pattern and mark out the curve and cut the first half of the tarp and I just traced the curve onto the other half. Good luck! Let us know how yours turn out.
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    I made a basic rectangle, 12 by 10 silnylon tarp with the center seam lengthwise. Now I'm curious about how you would reshape or resize this tarp. Most tarps I see seem to be a trapzoid or cat cut and are fairly tight to the hammock when rigged. I've got a nice garage space so laying the tarp out and re shaping wouldn't be a problem. With the way prices are for silnylon would you reuse this tarp or start fresh from a new fabric. I like the looks of the other shapes. What would you do.
    My free advice (worth every penny) is that I would leave it a rectangle. The trade off is the cat cut is tighter but the rectangle is more versatile. If you always get perfect conditions then cat cut it and it will be tighter and lighter. If you are like me and usually compromising the rectangle gives a lot of options.

I would figure out where to put stake loops in the sides so the ends would fold in to make closed ends. If you cat cut it that option gets a lot harder. With a couple extra tent pegs you get less flap and can close in the weather end if there is a wind. While I was at it I would add a couple of loops to the ends that met when I closed the doors so I could tie/pin/peg it closed.

I would also add a couple of pull outs on the crease where the doors fold. That lets you control the sides when flat or pull put the door area.

FWIW binder clips work as a temporary stake loop for playing around on where to put the real loops. I would not trust them as a permanent solution. YMMV. ;-)

Yes, I just made your great hulking tarp an ounce or two heavier, You can swear at me when lounging in the rain with one corner in porch mode and the diagonal closed up tight against the weather while relaxing in comfort. ;-)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    My free advice (worth every penny) is that I would leave it a rectangle. The trade off is the cat cut is tighter but the rectangle is more versatile. If you always get perfect conditions then cat cut it and it will be tighter and lighter. If you are like me and usually compromising the rectangle gives a lot of options.

I would figure out where to put stake loops in the sides so the ends would fold in to make closed ends. If you cat cut it that option gets a lot harder. With a couple extra tent pegs you get less flap and can close in the weather end if there is a wind. While I was at it I would add a couple of loops to the ends that met when I closed the doors so I could tie/pin/peg it closed.

I would also add a couple of pull outs on the crease where the doors fold. That lets you control the sides when flat or pull put the door area.

FWIW binder clips work as a temporary stake loop for playing around on where to put the real loops. I would not trust them as a permanent solution. YMMV. ;-)

Yes, I just made your great hulking tarp an ounce or two heavier, You can swear at me when lounging in the rain with one corner in porch mode and the diagonal closed up tight against the weather while relaxing in comfort. ;-)
    I like your logic nothermark.
    I have a severe cat cut tarp(OES Delux) and find it is only useful in good weather. I usually add a GrizzBeak to improve the coverage.

• + New Posts