Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I use the smallest size figure 9 "biners" at each corner of the tarp and a continuous ridge line with a knotbone on one end and a prussic'd figure 9 on the other. Fast set up and I can adjust my tarp tension from under the tarp, which is nice. I used to just leave the 9biners on the tarp but got paranoid that they would poke holes in it or snag my snakeskins, so now they go in the stake bag

Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    I use the smallest size figure 9 "biners" at each corner of the tarp and a continuous ridge line with a knotbone on one end and a prussic'd figure 9 on the other. Fast set up and I can adjust my tarp tension from under the tarp, which is nice. I used to just leave the 9biners on the tarp but got paranoid that they would poke holes in it or snag my snakeskins, so now they go in the stake bag
    Ok, I see what your saying, you put the biners on the corners or plastic rings way that way you can make adjustments from under the tarp correct? Does it limit how far away you can put your stakes etc? It seems to me like your line would have to reach to the stake and all the way back to the biner.

Has anyone compared the figure 9 to the knot bones? like what would hold the best etc? like I said im still trying to get my head around all these ideas and only want to make one good purchase.

Learn not to suck at knots. There are only about 4 or 5 you need to know to handle most situations. These 4 or 5 are not hard to learn. Knots save time, money, and weight.

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Knotbones have held through every storm I've put them through. Imho you don't wanna make all your hardware bombproof. If winds get to intense I would rather a prussic slip or a cheap piece of hardware break than a d ring to pull off or rip my tarp.

Yeah I have one I can tie well. Not sure of the name. Where you tie a loop in the main line then run the tag end through it, pull it tight and then tie if off. But you still have a knot in your line. No big deal i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf track View Post
    Knotbones have held through every storm I've put them through. Imho you don't wanna make all your hardware bombproof. If winds get to intense I would rather a prussic slip or a cheap piece of hardware break than a d ring to pull off or rip my tarp.
    Thats a very good point. So far im leaning towards using either one of the two Figure 9's or the knot bones. But not sure which, you guys that are using these are still using the same lines that came on your clark tarps right? they are pretty darn small.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    Ok, I see what your saying, you put the biners on the corners or plastic rings way that way you can make adjustments from under the tarp correct? Does it limit how far away you can put your stakes etc? It seems to me like your line would have to reach to the stake and all the way back to the biner.

Has anyone compared the figure 9 to the knot bones? like what would hold the best etc? like I said im still trying to get my head around all these ideas and only want to make one good purchase.
    No just from the stake to the biner 9. I leave the lines tied to the stakess and wrap them around the stake when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    No just from the stake to the biner 9. I leave the lines tied to the stakess and wrap them around the stake when not in use.
    OK Doody, I get what your saying and it seems to be a great idea. After looking at the Knot bones and the regular figure 9's this idea of going from the tarp itself the way you did seems best. One question though, I see you do something different on your ridge line. Why ? I know there is a reason but I have not used mine enough to understand it. Would the same figure 9 setup work on the ridge-line? Also many people have changed out the lines on their tarps with trip lines or bungee lines. do these tarps really get that loose when wet? thanks for any education you can drop on me!

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Please try knotbones.

because.....

I have just ordered 8 to use with the same line.

Did you get your knotbones? and how do they preform? I'm still leaning towards the figure 9 carabiners but not sure what the best move would be..

Well responses were slow this week, everyone must be out camping lol anyway I went ahead and ordered 4 of the Figure 9 biners and 4 of the knot bones. Figured I can try them out and get a system going.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast