Tarp
    DIY 4seas cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY,UQ&TQ,HHSS,Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

My First hike and hang experience

River to river trail, Shawnee National forest Sothern Ill
    Well I’ve been eager to learn and participate with someone experienced, but situations were never right and I didn’t get to go out on a hike/hang with someone experienced. So, after a lot of reading I said, to heck with I’m just going. An opportunity presented itself while I was planning a vacation to visit with family. My dad and sisters live smack dab in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest.
    The River to river trail 167 miles from the Ohio to the Mississippi was just what I was looking for. Not much in the way of big man eating animals and only a few poisonous snakes. I figure I’d do a section and when I come back to visit I’ll do some more!
    I had to learn a few things fast. REI and YouTube had some good land navigation which I had to cram in fast (I didn’t need it but more on that later) before the trip. I down loaded maps from the US Forest Service website and laminated them. I later found two excellent guides one of which was all I needed to use to navigate because the section of the trail I was on was so well marked. Which filter should I get for water; I went with the Katadyn Base camp because I’d be making water for at least 2 maybe three.
    I wanted to do something memorable with my son whom had just graduated from high school. I felt this would be the last summer I spend with my son as boy as I know this time next year and forever more he’ll no longer be a boy. I also brought along my nephew because he seemed like he really wanted to go also.
    So we started at Gum Springs rd trail head at 1200 pm we made our way along the north side of the creek because there were some supposed to be some Indian pictographs on the rock walls, and there was. After finding the pictographs we realized we lost the trail! So we found a nice flat rock looking over a creek (Gods kitchen table is what we called it) and had lunch.
    After lunch and reading the maps we decided to follow the rail that crisscrossed the creek and figured we run back into the main trail because it crossed the creek numerous times. Then my nephew Josh spotted a blaze and we were back on the trail. The trail was so well marked (once we found it) that one would need to used navigation tools, but this was only how I found this section.
    It was about 98 degrees and humid like a tropical rain forest. It was awesome and just what I had needed. Until…. We ran into our first snake in a hoof hole filed with water on the trail. A copper head coiled in the hole. It let us pass without incident I believe it was just too hot for it to move. So we moved cautiously past. We hit Max creek about 630pm about 6.7 miles. I had figured a mile an hour so it was right on!
    We sat and took in the scenery for a minute then I got stomach cramps really bad. So I had the boys look for the perfect spot of the trail and away from the creek while I filled up on H20 took some aspirin. I started feeling a little better and we step up our hang.
    Next I used my homemade bushbuddy too boil water. It worked well till the fire melted the aluminum gutter guard I was using as the pot stand. So I held the pot to boil dinner. We had the mountain house spaghetti and meatball meals. I added individual packs if green beans to balance out the meal. It was funny to see those boys eat, slurping up every last drop. I thought it tasted like Lipton cup o noodles with watery catsup and old Vienna sausage. They swore it tasted homemade. Hungry boys will eat anything and love it lol!
    So we went to sleep and Josh went out as fast as he lay in the hammock, Kevin my son was next letting me know with his heavy mouth breathing. Me well I was in a Hennessey for big guys, and it was feaking hot in there. So I sat out in the breeze till bout 330 listening to the symphony of the forest with its different movements. I was cool about 4am and man when I found that sweet spot I slept till 930 and still didn’t wanna get up. The boys were both still out, I had to wake them up. Kevin slept in a ENO single nest with ENO bug guard and slap straps. Josh slept in my diy dual layer with homemade bug guard and whoopee slings. The tarp over them was a hybrid I made from looking at many designs, its made of 1.9 coated rip stop nylon.
    We never made it to the next planned campsite because I was struggling in the heat; second day was 99 degrees with 104 heat index. So we hiked out about 4 miles to highway and called Josh’s Dad to pick us up.
    The boys kept chiding me saying that they could have made it. I was carrying 50lbs my son had 25 and Josh had 15. I said I doubt it! LOL I’m not in the best shape but I told they boys next time they gotta get bigger packs and carry their own gear. LOL
    I had a wonderful time and even learned a few important things about me that Ill share. First I am spoiled when it come to AC. Second I have way to many things cluttering my (physical, and spiritual) life that I don’t need and aren’t important.
    I plan to do more sections of the River to River, and after learning of my experience and seeing my pics a few friends want to go with me when I go in the fall.
    Thanks to all on this site for all that you’ve posted I have learned a lot and hope to contribute ideas some day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live simply,love generously, care deeply, speek kindly and leave the rest to God!

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Good post, thanks for sharing. I thought the heat was brutal here in Ga. Sounds like it's not much better there. I love the Natl. Forest. We have the Oconee and Chattahoochee here. Rented a cabin in the N. Ga. mountains this weekend and sat the hammock up on the river for naps. That a/c inside was just too hard to resist with the soaring heat and humidity.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    flying bobo, thanks for the post. Looks like a good trip. Sorry about the stomach probs.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Always grateful for the trip sharing. Helps me forget for a few moments that I am not out there myself.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY DL & HH DeluxExplorer
    Tarp
    DIY 4seas cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY,UQ&TQ,HHSS,Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    @ deerfu39 yeah it was dang hot! When I got home from vac I put my wifes hammock from Panama Rep de Panama her brother bought her up on my hammock stand in the shade! Lucky for me back home its not been over 85

@rodwolfy It was AWESOME! I think because of the probs I have a good trail name now " Heatstroke" or "Bellyach"! LOL

@dragon360 hope you get out soon!
    Live simply,love generously, care deeply, speek kindly and leave the rest to God!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's nice you spent time with your son. You were carrying a lot of weight
    Have fun on the many more hangs you are going to have.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Thanks for the trip report, always fun to hear about hikes from other parts of the country. But I don't envy hiking in 97 degree heat.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Although it sounds like you were feeling darn near miserable due to the heat I'm glad you were still able to get out with your son for even an overnight adventure.

I also had the same trouble with the gutter guard, hardware cloth holds up much better to the heat of a stove. (No collapsing when heated.)
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Love the story and it is great you got to share it with the boys!!! BTW Never thought about learning land nav on youtube, Thanks

JimT

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    50 lbs is quite a load!!..let the boys try it for a mile ? maybe they won't be so positive that 'they could make it.."
    debrief; check the stuff you used, what you didn't use, and what you need for emergencies..think about the rest of it seriously...and remember;skills and knowledge are light, fear is heavy!
    glad your trip was so memorable,(and I mean that in a good way) KM

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast