Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    We have two cats that we got from a shelter almost six years ago. The male wants nothing to do with a hammock but the little female loves to hang. She prefers laying on me rather than the fabric. One night I was outside hanging and it was about 40 degrees. I woke up and looked out and there she was sitting on a stump looking at me. I reached down and she came over and let me pick her up. We spent the rest of the night with her snuggled up beneath my top quilt.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Maybe cats would like hammocks more if they were hung like they are for ferrets?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    haha wow. Id be too nervous to try putting a cat on it but it seems like alot people have done it sucessfully
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What if....

What if one wanted to diy a home hammock to share with the kitties, anticipating some feline type damage. What fabric would hold up to that, and not fail at 3am?
    I'm not sure what would really be best as far as balancing comfort and durability, but I have a couple of thoughts. . .

1. From what little I've read on the subject, nylon doesn't seem to be the preferred material for those sleeping in their hammocks at home year round anyway.

2. I've enjoyed living with cats for about 15 years now, and I've never had a problem with them inadvertently ripping holes in any of my blankets or sheets. Granted, those aren't under the strain that the fabric of a fully loaded hammock would be, but it still leads me to think that good old cotton may be a perfectly suitable material. . . A cotton Brazilian style hammock would probably do the trick nicely.

3. If you keep their claws trimmed, the kitties are much less likely to accidentally snag or scratch something that they don't intend to, and/or that you don't wan them to. Of course, when they decide that the arm chair is a good scratching post then all bets are off. But that's intentional destruction, not accidental.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    My two kitties sleep with me in my Brazilian but they don't like the Mayan (their paws get caught in the mesh) except to sit/sleep on my legs or on a blanket. Neither cat is declawed but I trim the very tips to keep them from lacerating me when they're my lap. I unhook my sleeping hammock during the day because I like the space, but I keep a "daytime" one out all the time, and the cats like to swing with me when I sit there. They don't get in it unless I'm already there. No deco fringe on the sides of my diy Brazilian,and I keep all cords tied up out of their reach. They have their own kitty hammocks, anyway, with four-corner suspension points for stability. I've hammocked indoors in the company of several cats over the years, and only one was troublesome: my bottom swaying in the hammock over his head must have seemed like low hanging fruit and I fell victim to his playful/painful attentions more than once. But he never ripped a hole in the hammock, and I don't think he was deliberately destructive.

If you're worried about it, though, maybe make one out of chain mail?!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    In the "Pix or it didn't happen category": Wonder and Trust.jpg I think we have our answer! (At least, an answer from Trust (hammock) and Wonder (stand)
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What if....

What if one wanted to diy a home hammock to share with the kitties, anticipating some feline type damage. What fabric would hold up to that, and not fail at 3am?
    chainmail
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

One of my three cats appreciates an afternoon (indoor) hang, the other two hate that you can see through the mayan.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have never had any of the cats in my hammocks,

but I did have a HH damaged by one. I had the HH stored loosely in a mesh bag, and I left the bag exposed in my spare bedroom/gear room. One of the cats found the bag to be a perfect bed, and due to her "plucking" the mesh bag with her front claws she put quite a few tears in the no-seeum mesh.

That was my fault - not hers. She was just acting like a cat.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    chainmail
    do it! I gotta see this. Maybe you can use Ti wire to make the rings and keep the weight under 100lbs.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast