Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    I was afraid to try the RW quilt. I didnt wanna blow the cash on the item, then not be able to do the sewing. I can do a rolled hem (badly) but the quilt making seemed to advanced.
    That brings up a really good question. How advanced do ones sewing skill sneed to be to complete a Ray-Way quilt kit?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    That brings up a really good question. How advanced do ones sewing skill sneed to be to complete a Ray-Way quilt kit?
    I hadn't used a sewing machine in 15 years and I never was a proficient sewer even then. I accidentally sewed things funky in places, overlapped this or that, but my semi-straight-seamed, funky-in-spots Ray Way is warm and stuffs neatly into my pack, and worked quite well on a weekend camping trip in Morro Bay. The instructions are good enough and all you need is a straight stitch and a tuned sewing machine - mine was jamming and taking it in for a tuneup fixed it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cgul1 View Post
    yes please, I have one to finish on the workbench, seems like you lay the insulation on the two 'covers" then pull it through the gap left at the foot. I may have older instructions and will have to take a look. Thanks for posting this
    This is basically what I did for my quilt (not a Ray-way). I first sewed the insulation to the liner (underside) all the way around, then put shell and liner right sides together and sewed all the way around except for an 8" opening at the foot end. Then, I turned it inside out and sewed the opening shut by hand.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I don't know about the Ray-way specifically, but I made a quilt from Climashield XP and Momentum-90 without instructions or much sewing experience. After cutting out the pieces for the quilt, I practiced sewing the insulation to the ripstop using the scraps and adjusted the tension in the process.

My opinion about sewing projects in general is that they are oftentimes made out to be harder than they really are on the internet. If you are thinking about making a synthetic quilt because it appears easier than a down quilt, but you really want a down quilt, make a down quilt. I think anybody can do it even without sewing experience. Just practice on the scraps you cut off until you are comfortable. Go slow until you are comfortable going at full speed. Use a lot of pins until you are comfortable using fewer or no pins. Always roll up and secure large panels. Inspect all seams as you go along. The biggest difference between having sewing experience and not having sewing experience is how much time it will take you to complete the project. Your seams and hems might be a little bit crooked or uneven when you start out, but you will never notice that during use.

Of course, this assumes that you have a workable sewing machine. Bad equipment can ruin the whole experience.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I made a synthetic quilt and sewed the insulation to the liner with the insulation side up and did not have any problems. What happened when you did that? I have another synthetic insulation project (pullover) in my future, so I am very curious.
    Sure: This may apply only to the RayWay insulation.
    According to the directions;

You assemble the quilt like this

Insulation
    Nylon
    Nylon

You clamp everything with MANY closepins.

Then turn over the "package" so it is:

Nylon
    Nylon
    Insulation

Then sew it.
    I used a serger instead of a "regular" sewing machine. Once I figured it out & did it right, this worked verry well.

I started out trying to sew it

Insulation
    Nylon
    Nylon

My problems were many: the insulation kept snagging on the foot of the sewing machine, the bottom nylon kept tearing, the whole thing kept jamming the machine. It was AWFUL!!!

I then turned it all over,
    Nylon
    Nylon
    Insulation
    WOW, what a difference. No, I still hadn't read that part of the directions After finishing the main sewing, I read the directions. SIGH!

After sewing together, (& leaving a opening at the bottom) you reach between the 2 layers of nylon & turn it inside out so it is:
    Nylon
    Insulation
    Nylon
    & sew closed the opening.
    SO, anyway, my quilt is not symetrical, but is good enough for me. It is easy to see where I messed up, but the quilt works, well: it covers me, I haven't put the quilting on yet. I''m going to read the directions very well before starting that.

IF, I had followed the "sew with the insulation down" directions, Very likely it would have taken me less than 2 hrs to cut it out & sew together. I'm thinking my next one will take about 1 1/2 hr. Yep, I'll be making another one, for an underquilt, prolly by mid fall.

My original 'overquilt" is a very old sleeping bag cut to quilt like dimensions. as a sleeping bag it was 4 Lbs, as a quilt it was 3 Lbs, My RayWay quilt weighs 2 Lbs. So, all in all I have saved 2 Lbs AND, I have a much warmer top quilt now.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Doctari, thanks for the explanations. I did not have any problems with the insulation snagging on the foot, but I can see where that might be a problem. When I got my new sewing machine, I did try it on some insulation scraps, and the IDT (integrated dual feed, basically a walking foot) mechanism did catch on the insulation, but not the foot itself. It never occured to me to flip it over.

I will try it the other way on my next project with synthetic insulation. I have about 40 yards of different fabrics on the way, including material for an insulated pullover that I plan to make after addressing the more pressing need for bug protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IF, I had followed the "sew with the insulation down" directions, Very likely it would have taken me less than 2 hrs to cut it out & sew together. I'm thinking my next one will take about 1 1/2 hr. Yep, I'll be making another one, for an underquilt, prolly by mid fall.
    Two hours for a quilt with cutting is crazy fast. My quilt took me much longer than that, but it was one of my first sewing projects after not touching a sewing machine for 20 years. Now that I think about it, it probably took me 2 hours to mark and cut out the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, it's quick, but I neglected to mention that I have been sewing for over 47 years. And I sew alot. This is my first big camping project, but once I figured it out, it was just another sewing project. Much easier than sewing together a 16th century Nobility dress or man's outfit.

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the info, that will save me some agravation.
    wow two hours
    I usually sew for 10mins, seam rip for 10.....

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Doctari, thanks for the explanation! I need to make a couple of quilts and underquilts and this will help keep me from running into problems.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Bear in mind all that the above directions MAY ONLY APPLY to a RayWay quilt. I think the lesson is: if you have directions, follow them exactly, just as I should have done.
    But, if you are sewing something else/simiar, & have problems, maybe try turning everything over.