Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Warbonnets also have better resell value of it turns out to be the wrong thing. But I suppose you could always return an REI Hi.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Pretty much every Hennessey comes with the bottom entry or side zipped option now, so that is an old invalid argument. I still love my bottom entry. Extremely easy to get in and out of. We have three brands of underquilts (underquilts.com, JRB, and UGQ), plus the HHSS. All work very well with the hammocks. It's a simple gathered end.
    The lines are very easy to replace, even on the old style. I have whoopies on mine, as well as my wife's and son's. For theirs I just cut the original suspension, tied a loop, and connected to there.
    No matter which one you choose, you will likely be very happy, and if not, both sell very well on the forum.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have a few questions.One,does anyone have an exact weight comparison of a WBBB 1.1 double layer and a HH Ex.Asym without a tarp etc?Just the two hammocks weighed for comparison?Question two,if you get a WBBB single layer,is there a way to secure the pad inside so it won't slip around?Now a question about both.Since the HH comes as a single layer and the BB is available in that mode,how well do they deflect mosquitoes from biting thru the underside of the hammock?Should that even be a consideration?Note,I am thinking about losing the HH SS bottom and putting the pad back inside in summer and just wrestling the pad all night with a top quilt liner as I never had good results with the foam pad in the SS anyway.I will be using a HH bubble pad in either one unless someone has a better suggestion.Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I will probably never own a Warbonnet. I like the bottom entry as it is hands down better than messing with a side zipper. OTOH for winter it is so much easier just to make a hammock without a but net. In either case it the suspension is all strap. I will say Dutch has my attention with some of his latest but I'm not messing with knots and whoopee's for reason that have been pointed out too many times.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I like my bottom entry HH.Yep,I have fallen out of a no-net hammock trying to get in it.....Don't like the pad arrangement for my HH,never have,never will.I have a JRB nest for it now but you don't need a hammock with a net in winter. I sorta wonder about what to do in summer;hence the WBBB interest,double layer.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I started with an ENO single nest then went to a Hennessy ulralite explorer to save weight. Now I'm looking at a WBBB for the double layer for extra warmth with a pad if needed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Bag...for now
    Suspension
    Stock Suspensions
    I haven't read all 11 pages of this, because after the first two I could tell it was gonna be a Ford vs. Chevy type thread. But as a newbie, I thought I could add some fresh and unadulterated perspective to other newbies out there.

I just got a WBBB 1.1 DL and also just got a HH Explorer Deluxe Zip. I spent last night in the HH, and the night before that in the WB. These are my first two hammocks, and my first two nights in a hammock. Here's my $.02 so far....

-Both are quality pieces of kit.
    -Both are super easy to setup.
    -I can get pretty flat pretty easily in both, with a very slim margin going to the WB.
    -I like the shelf on the WB, but I also like the sliding possibles bag on the ridgeline of the HH (I don't forget I have stuff squirreled away cuz I can see it. The shelf not so much, but it has way more room)
    -I like idea of the double layer of the WB, but my ThermaRest slid aroud all over the place and I woke to cold spots all night long. I'm gonna try to resolve that tonight. This is a non-issue if you have an UQ.
    -The HH is a single layer of much heavier material than the 1.1. I tied off my ThermaRest to the shoulder "o-ring" that is there for their bubble pad, and it stayed put all night. I didn't wake up from cold spots at all as a result.
    -The WB is very comfortable to me on my back. I could get on my side, but fetal was awkward. I really like the idea of the footbox and it makes for a really flat lay, but the price for that appears to be a narrower comfort channel.
    -The HH is also very comfortable to me on my back. I can roll around in it at will, and get in fetal and jackknife postitions pretty easily. It's a wide hammock, and seems to have a wider comfort channel as a result.
    -I like the beefier zippers on the HH, and that they included zipper pulls already attached. Feels more substantial than the WB zipper and less likely to snag or fail.
    -I like the triangulated side pullouts on the WB. They spread the force out over a greater area, offer greater versatility and adjustability with their cord lock, and are constructed of superior materials than just a length of shock cord.
    -I like the stuff sack of the WB better than the HH. The double-ended "bishop bag"(?) is a cool idea, and the WB packs down quite a bit smaller than the HH.
    -The WB webbing & buckle suspension is simple, effective, and very fast to use. I also like that is isn't very bulky.
    -The HH line suspension is about as simple as it gets. When used with two pairs of descender rings it makes for a lightning-fast setup.
    -The HH has alot of plastic clips and rings. I noticed already that a couple of the plastic bails are gone (broken, or otherwise missing) after one use. This doesn't make them much less effective, but it is still a quality issue--especially since I've used this rig one time. I honestly can't say whether I broke them or they came to me that way.
    -The WB has no extraneous or superfluous "hardware" to fail or frustrate.
    -The HH is made in China. This in itself was nearly enough to make me skip this purchase, but the reputation of HH convinced me to check one out. Initial QC is very good, and I'd say excellent if it weren't for the cheap plastic "hardware".
    -The WB is made in USA. Everybody knows that. The quality of materials and workmanship is top shelf all the way around.

Now that stuff being said, I have logged a total of one night in each, so these are initial impressions from a total rookie hammocker. I'm a stomach sleeper in a bed, so the fact that I could sleep comfortably in a hammock at all is impressive to me. I'm learning, and have a long way to go. I can't tell you which one is better, or which one is more comfortable, or which one is the superior design. One thing I have learned though from poking around here the past few weeks researching the world of hammocks is that selecting a hammock is about as personal a choice as choosing what type and brand of underwear you like to wear....or if you like wear underwear at all. What I like in feel, support, stretch, etc. will most likely not directly translate into what you like in the same categories.

So far, I'm really liking them both. I can already tell they have different characteristics, but I can see where I may prefer one over the other based solely on the specifics of a particular hang and not just in general. Maybe life is just too short to hang just one hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Very helpful thread...I was seriously considering the HH since I'm trying to buy my first hammock on a bit of a budget (don't want to catch too much wife anger) but I hadn't realized it was made in China. I think I might start looking at the WB one instead since it's made in North America at least, where quality actually means something.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Not all of the HH are made in China. Some models are made in the US and some in Canada. And the quality on the HH, even those made in China are exceptional. Every hammock is inspected when they get to HH in BC if I recall correctly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ah ok, thanks for that Whiskeyjack. I was looking at the Explorerer Deluxe. The Hennessey website doesn't list where that particular one is made, but when I check the same hammock on MEC it says China. I suppose I'd have to either call or email them to find out for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast