Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Hennessey Ultralite
    Tarp
    stock

Hennessy vs Warbonnet for beginner hammock

I have a single nest ENO but am looking at moving up to either an Ultralite Backpackers Hennessey or a Warbonnet Blackbird.

I'm new to hammocking so give me the lowdown on both. The ENO has been fine but looking for a hammock with the best durability and need some feedback .
    " Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity ; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a ENO DN which I use all the time in my back yard for an afternoon hang or for a day hike. If I am camping out, its my BB. it goes up fast, has a large storage shelf, built in bug net and its very comfortable. If you get a BB and decide you do not like it there are many people on this forum who will be happy to buy it from you. My .02
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The Blackbird was my first camping hammock and it went up without a hitch the very first time. I don't have any experience with Hennessy so I can't comment on that.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i had some Hennessy's and have since moved to WB's. i find the lay is a little nicer, the shelf is really nice as in a HH you can't really store clothes. also i found anything other than HH's SS didn't work that well as an UQ. on the WB, i haven't had a probably with any of my UQ's. the double layer of a WB is you choose is a nice option and I also like how the tie outs are about your hip line rather than at like the HH. that feature makes a difference with how UQ's work.

i hope you enjoy which ever you choose.

Hammock
    Hennessey Ultralite
    Tarp
    stock
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    also i found anything other than HH's SS didn't work that well as an UQ. on the WB, i haven't had a probably with any of my UQ's. the double layer of a WB is you choose is a nice option and I also like how the tie outs are about your hip line rather than at like the HH. that feature makes a difference with how UQ's work.
    So does the Blackbird 1.7 come with bug bivy or is that also something that I need to purchase separately along with an UQ .

So are saying the HH's have more of a learning curve in the set up process and their suspension isn't conducive to working with every UQ ?
    " Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity ; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hennessey Ultralite
    Tarp
    stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybgood View Post
    So does the Blackbird 1.7 come with bug bivy or is that also something that I need to purchase separately along with an UQ .

So are saying the HH's have more of a learning curve in the set up process and their suspension isn't conducive to working with every UQ ?
    Well , I think TheJennabird just answered my questions.

Thanks .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    The 1.7, comes with a bug bivy built in. do a google on warbonnet blackbirds to see all the information. I will be ordering mine sometime today/nite

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I have them both and they are both nicely made hammocks. I just like my hennessy a little more. I dont even know how to explain why. I do like the shelf of the warbonnet more than the ridgeline organizer. and about the rainfly, ive heard you can ask to have the tarp removed and remove some of the price.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    If you are used to an ENO, a 10 ft hammock I think, you might want to consider one of the longer HHs: The Explorer series, the DJ XL, or the king of the long hammocks ( at least for those offered from HF vendors) the Safari. Some of us seem to think that there is probably a correlation between hammock length and comfort, although there are also many other variables.

As for HH vs WB, most here seem to feel that the WBs have the edge in comfort as well as features. But there are a few others who find the HHs equal, and a few others who actually favor the HHs. Plus of course, it depends on which HH you are comparing to. For me personally, the HH Safari is the most comfortable in the most positions of any non-bridge hammock. But my Explorer UL and a DJ XL I have tried are reasonably close and are lighter, and the DJ is double layer(pad pocket).

Anyway, both are plenty good, but testing both is the only way you will know for sure. And for something really different, try a JRB Bridge hammock. Or a Eureka Chrysalis if you can find one even for sale anywhere. The bridge hammocks are IMO hands down more comfy in some ways, but not all. But many still prefer a WBBB over a bridge for overall comfort.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-18-2011 at 17:13.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Johnny, I'm a new hanger too! While I'm currently working on my first DIY hammock, here were some things that pushed me to favor the WBBB over the HH.

- Comfort. From everything I've read, the footbox in the BB is a great addition and makes this hammock more comfortable than the HH. While the HH is roomy and can be nice, the BB footbox tops it and allows for both more room and more sleeping positions.

- Features. The WBBB has a "traditional" hammock entrance on the side versus the HH "womb entrance". (Not sure where I heard that one, but I liked the metaphor). Furthermore, the standard BB comes with a zippered entrance, while most HHs are Velcro. I spoke to a Speer owner on the AT who told me that his biggest gripe was the how fussy velcro can be. Yes, I know zippers can break and are harder to fix, but on a daily basis they're much less hassle IMHO.

I like the concept of the DL Blackbird because I'm a pad-sleeper who will need to go to ground at times. That second layer holds the pad and keeps it "tucked away". HH are all single layer (I believe) and therefore your pad's gotta go inside the hammock. Both are conducive to underquilts though.

And who can forget the pocket on the WBBB?! It's a great little feature that gets stuff off of your ridgeline. Some don't like it because they don't use it (hence extra weight), or it lays against the side of the hammock, so if you don't like the idea of the pocket, the HH might be a better option.

-Manufacturing. The HH is manufactured overseas I believe, while the BB is manufactured by hand here in the US by a HF member.

- Suspension. You get different suspension options with the Blackbird, and - from what I've read - it's easier to convert a BB to a whoopie-sling system than it is to convert a HH. Plus the Blackbird seems to have a pretty downright simple setup on its own!

However, here are some points for the Hennessy:
    - Weight. The featherlite weight of the HH includes a tarp! If you're really counting ounces, the HH is slimmer than the WBBB.

- Cost. The cost of the HH includes a basic asym tarp, whereas you'll chuck out another $80+ for a tarp for the blackbird. However, I don't like the small size of the HH tarp (I've seen it in action) and as a beginner I want a little bit of room for error so that, if a sudden downpour came, I'm not learning on the spot how poor my tarp-pitching skills are. =P

-Availability. You can get a HH pretty quickly from REI or similar manufacture, while you may be waiting a few weeks or more to get your Blackbird. So if you want a hammock ASAP, you're only option may be the HH (unless you snag that used BB on the Sale forum right now)

Hope this helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast