Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Nothing beats a little trail testing. I'm anxious to hear how you like the new system. You two characters have fun and don't terrorize too many of the more normal hikers along the trail.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Those Geigerrig bladders are a little pricey! Do you have a rough idea what your filter, tubes and the two bladders weigh? Knowing you, I'll bet not much.
    Weight was not my biggest concern. Durability and functionality was what I considered most important.
    If you can find them on sale the price is reasonable. I believe I paid 19.95 each for bladders and 13 for the inline filter.

This system can be used as a gravity system, I can filter water while hiking thanks to the air pump and
    I can also just connect the filter to a bag of dirty water and drink thru the bite valve line. Very versatile IMO.
    Because you can pressurize the bag you spray water into your mouth rather than suck it. I really like that feature.

NOTE: You can not buy this system as displayed.
    I designed it, so some extra pieces with a little cutting and splicing is required.

13.4 oz 2 bladders, 1 filter, 1 pressurizing bulb

Another reason I went for this 2 bladder system was my Aarn back pack. A bladder goes in each front pocket.
    I can filter while hiking if the need arises.

Additional picts:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1412751c90
    Last edited by OutandBack; 05-01-2012 at 08:51.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    That price is reasonable. When I looked on the website, it looked like they were $48 each! They sure look like they are tough enough to last. Ultra light is not always ultra-great if it fails. Thanks.

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Mine is the "Classic" model; runs on AAs so to be able to trade-out, if needed, with headlamp at the time and camera. In the 6.5 months I spent on the AT, I think I changed the batteries 4 or 5 times. It was my primary, and often times, only treatment option. I'm a water-hog, so you can imagine it was heavily used daily.

Taozenqi raises a valid point though, they all depend on a certain amount of trust. If I had had problems with mine, I might not trust it either. I know there were a couple of models that had issues in 08' & 09', but mine is golden.

But, this trip is a good one to test your trust with it since there will be plenty of other folks around to help you out if you got a lemon. Good to hang around folks with gear addiction problems.
    I have the "Adventurer Opti" model. I haven't cycled it enough times yet to have any idea of reliability. One thing that is tough though, it is VERY hard to see if the UV light comes on or not. That is one of the complaints mentioned in the reviews of the model. I am almost thinking of using it (if it proves reliable) and a Sawyer Squeeze as a backup (or vice versa), and accepting the weight penalty versus the chemical tab back-up. After drinking clean, good tasting water all my life, I loathe the taste of "chemical" water!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I have the "Adventurer Opti" model. I haven't cycled it enough times yet to have any idea of reliability. One thing that is tough though, it is VERY hard to see if the UV light comes on or not. That is one of the complaints mentioned in the reviews of the model. I am almost thinking of using it (if it proves reliable) and a Sawyer Squeeze as a backup (or vice versa), and accepting the weight penalty versus the chemical tab back-up. After drinking clean, good tasting water all my life, I loathe the taste of "chemical" water!
    I've only tried the tablets(my backup system) once and it was very bad.
    I felt like I was drinking city swimming pool water. I never want to use my backup system except in an emergency.

My biggest concern with LED(light emitting diodes) UV system is their extreme low intensity. To kill bugs with light you need intensity + time exposure. You also need a way to filter particulates.
    Cloudy water will defuse the intensity as well.
    Working in the Aerospace field for almost 40 years we used alot of UV light to process manufacturing rinse water.
    You would not believe how strong those lights were even for flow rates of 1 gpm. I will remain sceptcial that LED's provide enough intensity to really do a good job even with many saying they never got sick.
    JMO
    Last edited by OutandBack; 05-01-2012 at 09:32.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    My biggest concern with LED(light emitting diodes) UV system is their extreme low intensity. To kill bugs with light you need intensity + time exposure.
    SteriPens don't claim to "kill" the bugs at all. What they do is scramble the DNA of the bug so that it can't reproduce. Your body can easily deal with a handful of live critters. It's when those critters start to multiplying that they become an issue. The SteriPens just provide some birth-control to the little ********.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was doing some research on the North Loop, trying to see what trails it consists of, where it takes you and the features we'll encounter. This is going to be one trip that I don't want to be just following the leader and oblivious to what's around me, where I'm at and how I got there.

Is this map somewhat representative of what the north loop is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

that is the north loop

We will park at the north trailhead at about mile 2 because parking is a little less crowded. Red Deer Lake on the first night is north off the map just a little to the east of mile 8. Second night will be somewhere between mile 13 & 14. Third night is Pawnee Lake at mile 20.

We cross the continental divide twice above timberline. This classic loop hike is one of the best.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Awesome map TR thanks for sharing it. My key board is all wet from the drool.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    TR, we may have to ask you to give a class on map making/print skills. That's great, thanks
    Last edited by waddy; 05-01-2012 at 16:00. Reason: spelling: I never learned to spell, teacher kept changing the words!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast