Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    What:

2012 Colorado Summer Hang Friday and Saturday July 6 & 7; Hike 3 nights 8th to 10th hike out on 11th.

Pot luck Saturday evening, the 7th.

Where: Suggestions in no particular order.

1. Hang at the Cebolla Campground near Lake City in the San Juans. Hike Rough Creek to Colorado Trail and back East Mineral Creek. Lollipop hike.

2. Hang Camp Hale Campground near Tennessee Pass. Hike Colorado Trail back to Copper Mountain - but only a two night hike. Shuttle hike.

3. Hang Kelly Dahl Campground near Nederland. Hike the north loop in Indian Peaks out of Brainard Lake. Red Deer Lake, Cascade Creek, Pawnee Lake - bring your fishing gear. Alternate hike an overnighter to Diamond Lake out of the 4th of July Trailhead.

4. Hang at one of the many campgrounds near Turquoise Lake by Leadville. Hike Colorado Trail to Bear Lake then Porcupine Lake. Only two night hike, but bring your fishing gear. Shuttle hike.

5. Hang at Turquoise Lake again. Three night hang south on Colorado Trail ending at Twin Lakes with optional climb of Mt Massive (14,421 ft- 2nd highest). Shuttle hike.

6. Hang at Goose Creek Campground. Hike a three night loop of Hankins Pass and Goose Creek.
    If I was ranking these hikes in the order of my preference it would go something like this.

I picked #3 as my first choice because I know the area.
    It is one of my all time favorite places in Colorado. Rough mtn peaks, beautiful pine forest laced with aspen groves, many high mtn lakes and of course the connecting streams.
    Colorado div of wildlife just introduced moose into the area from Utah this year.

In 1980 when I arrived in Colorado a CO native (coworker) took me to this area for some backpacking. There were no signs along the highway which I asked about and he told me the locals pull the signs down so no one that doesn't already know how to get there can find it. That's how special this area was to them.

We have 11 to 13 months to dream, think about, research places that would be worthy for folks to making the long drive. I'm sure where ever it is it will be epic.

One thing we will have to keep in mind if we choose a wilderness area, is there's a limit to the number of hikers. I believe its 15.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-21-2011 at 11:10.

• + New Posts