Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My First Hang

A friend and I did our first hang at Star Lake, WI on Saturday night. We had two hammocks, a Eureka Chrysalis and a Hamaka hammock with a Hammock Bliss bug net and a SportsmansGuide tarp. It was oppressively hot, with daytime temps in the low 90s with very high humidity, and nighttime temps in the low 70s. We slept without any insulation, top or bottom, and were comfortable.

First, the Chrysalis had a problem that I believe has been referenced elsewhere on this site in that the doors would not fully close in the middle, so my partner had an awful lot of mosquitos visit him during the night. He woke in the morning to see the inside of the roof of the hammock covered with mosquitos, which thankfully for the most part left him alone. Otherwise, the Chrysalis was comfortable and worked satisfactorily. Ventilation was good with the top closed and side doors open.

The Hamaka worked good with the Hammock Bliss mosquito net and SportsmansGuide tarp. I set the tarp in diamond form, and it was huge. I have another SG tarp that I have modified with extra center pullouts that I will use on another trip.

I learned that I need a pillow to sleep comfortably. I got up and rolled up a jacket for a pillow which allowed me to fall fast asleep until morning.

Aside from the heat and some very noisy tenters who shared our site, it was a very good first experience. I will not use the Chrysalis where bugs will be a problem until I come up with a better way to close the doors.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Thanks for the report. It's interesting hearing other people's insights on what they're learning on their first outings.
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    First times are always interesting. Glad you had a good time.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    I too need a pillow when camping. I had a Walmart cheapo hammock that worked fine for me as long as I used a small cylindrical pillow. I moved to an ENO doublenest and found the pillow was no longer comfortable. I'm discovering what kind of pillow will work for me with the ENO.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. In hot weather I sleep the same: no UQ or TQ and find it very comfortable.

• + New Posts