Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    I think if you want to sell to "the average buyer" you need to include the straps at the $80 price point. Otherwise this "lounging in the park" person will buy the eno for $54 and pay 20 for the straps, rather then paying 80 for the hammock then another 30 for the straps. To the average person, Paying more for just a hammock then you would for hammock and straps would just be stupid.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Im in For the cause and will use it as a lounger and recreation Hammock if i dont like it im going give it to someone who will.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What causes is the company supporting with this business model?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    After reading this thread, I really appreciate that the company is not expressing "mission drift" as a "dash for cash." I respect folks that develop a business plan, discuss it, embellish on the details, respectfully debate, but don't cave easily when so much thinking has gone into the mission and purpose.

I also, as Opie expressed, appreciate the philanthropic efforts as part of that mission. Business is often involved in efforts to influence and change the world. Too often it is not positive.

So, I support the effort, will probably buy one, and if I am unhappy with how I spent my $80, I have been unhappy before, will be again, and life goes on.

OTOH, I may be thrilled, supportive of some folks with insight, make a difference in the world, lie back in my hammock with a big smile and close my eyes filled with contentment. Seems a well calculated gamble to me.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Joel,
    A couple more questions.
    I have not supported a project through kickstarter. What is the return policy on the kammock, should the product not meet my expectation?
    Your video and site show kammocks in orange with grey edging, grey with orange edging, and green. Which color is the kickstarter kammock? Similarly, the python straps are red or are they available in other colors?
    Finally, if I understand correctly, the charitable mission outlined does not include profits from kammocks sold during your kickstarter program?

I'm not sure I'm completely sold, but my sons have been saying they wanted to replace their beds with hammocks...

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Mountain Gear C
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips, whoop
    When are they going to be shipped out ?? After Sept 1st ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelMalone View Post
    We desire to have the most innovative products in the hammock camping industry and they will be priced accordingly.
    So I guess after wading through this long thread, with some negative opinions, some positive ones, and a few dubious claims, this is where I will throw my two cents in.

I am really racking my brain to figure out what is "most innovative in the industry" about a gathered end hammock made from (claimed) higher-end materials.

I think innovation, and I think Bridge hammocks, or the new Exped sideways hammocks, the bat hammocks, the warbonnet, etc. I've seen you make the claim of superiority a few times due to the materials you've chosen to use, and while that slightly irks me, I chose not to say anything. Claiming that this, which is essentially a slightly beefed up ENO or Trek Light, is the most innovative product on the market, however, tows the thin line between absurd and offensive.

Not to be too harsh (ok, well maybe a bit...), but it's a standard gathered end hammock. It might be a heck of a gathered end hammock, but it isn't innovative. Get over yourself.

I couldn't care less about the price - I overpay for perceived quality all the time. If you use higher end materials, you get to charge more. No issues with that whatsoever. But the innovation claims are where my eyes rolled so hard I could see the top of my head.
    Last edited by Mustardman; 07-23-2011 at 19:43. Reason: misspoke - it was Exped that has the new sideways hammock

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post

You know what I'd love to see? A hammock with a breathable, water"proof" shell (ala GORTEX, eVent, etc.) constructed as a bivvy with no need for a separate rain fly and accommodation for insulation (maybe a pocket system like the Clark Jungle Hammock), all for under 20 oz. I'd pay for that!
    Hey Hey, I'm with you on that one!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Get over yourself.
    Not so much as harsh, as just plain rude. There is a difference between the desire to havethe most innovative product on the market and claiming to be the most innovative product on the market. Semantics, yes, but I don't know anyone who would bring an item to market and claim they have the desire to have the most mediocre product in the industry.

Joel's statement tells me they aren't out to make Wallyworld discount product and are willing to stand behind it. Let's give them the chance to do so.

Joel has answered the questions and criticism with grace. I think he's earned the right to a little respect.
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Y'know, I read through a good part of this thread and thought about it for a couple days. I think it is just a poor match of presentation and the demographics of the buyers here. If this was a Dot Com in Palo Alto, the presentation would make sense, but we are mostly outdoorsmen and backpackers.

My gut feeling is that this audience wants their deals straight and simple. I know I do. "We have this product, it does this and that, it is better because, it costs this much and you can buy it here and there."

Plainly put, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." What we see most in the presentation is young entrepreneurs in modern indoor environments and not much product. The market is mostly 18-55 year old middle class males who like to go camping and sleep outdoors. These are hands-on people who want results, not talk and vapor ware. I think it is obvious that there is a disconnect between the suppliers and the market. They aren't speaking the same language and in fact they live in very different worlds. You have to fix that to succeed in this market.

My $0.02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast