Poly rope for tarp hanging?

Hi,

I am trying to find some decent rope to hang my Warbonnet Mamajamba before this weekend (Forgot to order some guy line, Doh). My local REI has only PMI nylon cord which I understand can stretch and cause some sagging. I went to home depot and they have hollow, braided poly rope. I have read this stuff doesn't stretch much, but I'm wondering if it will be strong enough to hang a tarp once everything is pulled taut.

The stuff I'm looking at is Everbilt Neon Cord 5/32" x 75', working load limit 50 lb. The only thing I am worried about is the low load limit.

Link to rope

They have some other stuff that is about 1mm thicker with a working load limit of 70lb, this would be OK too, but I'm not sure that 20lb would make much of a difference. The only other rope they had was some really thick stuff that I don't want to carry.

So would 50-70 lb working load limit poly rope be OK or are there any other stores I should check out? I was thinking sporting goods places (sports authority and dicks both have kelty triptease online, but not sure if its in the store) or some specialty boating stores?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think for tarp tie outs that would be fine. The breaking strength is probably higher. For your tarp ridgeline though, maybe something stronger would be better.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    REI should have something for tarps in stock...like Kelty trip tease
    better then whatever you are going to find at the hardware store
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Yeah, thats what I thought too. I specifically went in there looking for trip tease but my REI only had nylon cord (PMI utility cord in several gauges). Would this be OK for the ridgeline? I was told not to use nylon because it stretches easily. This is the stuff they have in stock:

PMI cord

Maybe the stretching thing isn't such a big deal, but I was told specifically not to get nylon cord because of it. It has been raining pretty consistently every night here and wanted to make sure I don't have some kind of tarp failure in the middle of the night. I can always go duck in someone's tent if worse comes to worse but I'd rather avoid that scenario
    Last edited by zekemon; 07-18-2011 at 22:59.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah stay away from Nylon is no good...
    goto lowe's or HD and get yourself some Mason line... it's really cheap and will work fine till you can order yourself some line

a good place to get line is Dutchware he sells Zing-it really cheap and get yourself a set of Dutch Flyz while your at it.. makes setting up a tarp very easy
    he also ships out pretty fast ....

Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can scrounge up tomorrow. Dicks and sporting authority both list trip tease online, maybe i'll call them and see if they have any in stock locally.

Just saw you are from schuylkill county, I'm originally from the area.... Can't remember the name of the road but we used to go camping at this spot on the way to the Yuengling brewery. We would pull off right after a Yuengling billboard and haul our tents and a cooler full of beer down to this beachy area by the river. good times

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Mason line is nylon, and it stretches like a rubber band.

WalMart sells some small, braided polyester stuff that will get you by...it's pretty nice, actually.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Mason line is nylon, and it stretches like a rubber band.

WalMart sells some small, braided polyester stuff that will get you by...it's pretty nice, actually.
    the mason line i got was poly... they have both at lowe's if you look

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    at least my Lowe's does Oldgringo ... not sure on others

OK, got some good stuff thanks to Warbonnet. It's nice living a street over from them

I think I'm ready for my first backpacking trip sans tent this weekend, can't wait!

Thanks again for the help, I'll make sure to take some pictures and post a trip log once I get back.

• + New Posts