Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Ordered my HH Backpacker UL, What next?

Just waiting for the hammock to get here so I figured I should ask you folks how I should accessorize it, what all should I look at and where.

Beside hanging it right away what would you do first? I have all the other backpacking gear I could ever need that is not hammock specific.

Images
    Look for a hang within the Motown area to see different rigs and set-ups. Crawl, walk, run. Every other day I think I know what I want to do next but then I come across another way. This is a nice problem to have.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Yeah I'm sure I will change my mind alot, I buy new backpacking gear every year.
    I'm just looking for ideas to start with.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    an UQ........
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    an UQ........

under quilt?

Is that better than a pad for warmth.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    !!!! an UQ kills a pad 10/1 for most people. but also you can look into the supershelter from hennessy. mixed feelings from alot of people but theres a guy in one of shugs videos that took his hennessy with the supershelter down to -26!
    also Id look at the hennessy section and watch the videos there. alot of us hennessy guys you the carabiner and descending rings and a garda hitch to hang it. some still tie the stock knots, some do whoopie slings. you gotta find whats right for you man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Much, much better than a pad! Check out hammockgear.com, they have the best under quilts and top quilts! I have one of each and I absolutely love them! Yes, the Supershelter was taken down to -26 but it wasn't just the Supershelter alone. Don't think you can take just a SS out in that kind of cold and survive.

You'll also need these eventually....

A better tarp.
    Amsteel to make Whoopie Slings, or you can just buy a set.
    Toggles or Elephant Trunks for the WS to tree strap connection.
    Better tree straps. (1" polyester ratchet straps work great)
    A top quilt and under quilt.
    Some more amsteel for all the fun things you can make with it.
    There's lot's more that I can't think of right now......
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    #1: bottom insulation --- under quilt, Super Shelter, segmented pad extender, etc. You'll find out 10 seconds after you get in your new hammock that you aren't going anywhere without an insulation system--- unless it is over 70F. I'm just going through the process myself and found that pads don't work very well and detract from the comfort that hammocks deliver. I'm working on alternatives, but I have to concede that under quilts are probably the easiest "buy-me-use-me" way to deal with insulation at the moment. Grab your wallet and cough

#2: suspension system. You may need longer tree straps-- depends on the timber in your area. I added whoopie slings to my Hennessy, although the ropes provided are strong and not very heavy-- about 3.5oz on mine. Whoopie slings are really easy to adjust and I like carbiners and techy stuff, so I was hooked

#3: larger tarps. I live in wet country with days of drizzle, so a larger tarp no only gives better protection, but also more space to cook and live outdoors. The opportunities for "porch mode" with a large tarp are great-- backpacking or car camping. Plan on a full ridge line and lots of strings!

#4: top quilts. I'm not there yet, but I could immediately see the advantages of quilts. Getting in a mummy bag and getting it zipped up can be an exercise. Of course my favorite bag has a RH zipper and my Hennessy entry is on the left. It is easier to get in the bag standing up and then get in the hammock. That means having something on the ground to keep the foot of my bag clean and dry. A nice square of Tyvek saves the day there-- makes a good "tablecloth" too.

• + New Posts