Preparing for PNW fall rain, what kind of tarp?

Hello hammock forums, I have been hearing alot about this site on youtube.
    I currently have a ok hammock setup now, using a poncho as a tarp, so far this has worked this summer at shading me from the sun, and not much else.
    I am looking for a budget friendly tarp that will withstand wind and rain. Mostly rain. My budget is about 100 dollars, the less of that I use the better!
    I will be using it on the Oregon coast and the Washington forests. Where the rain is not too torrential, but it rains all day, all night and on the coast the wind can be pretty strong.
    Thanks for all your help and advice!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My silnylon tarp gets heavy after days of rain, so I would look for something in Spinn. Unfortunately, they run a little higher than your budget, but maybe you'll get lucky. There's a Warbonnet Edge tarp in sil for sale now in the marketplace that I imagine would be well within the budget. It's a little small for my taste, but compared to a poncho, that thing would feel like a circus tent! Good luck.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi, welcome to the forum! It kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going backpacking with it then you will want a silnylon tarp (or Spinn, as mentioned above) to reduce weight. A really great tarp for our area is the Superfly from warbonnetoutdoors.com. It comes with doors so you can completely close yourself in and stay protected from the wind and rain. It's a bit more than you want to spend but I can guarantee you won't regret spending the extra cash. If you're just car camping then I would recommend the 70d polyester Hex tarp from Hennessy Hammocks. It doesn't have doors but it has enough coverage for our rain storms as long as you pick the right location to hang your hammock/tarp. This is the tarp that I am currently using and it has done quite well for me in some of the worst storms we had in Winter and Spring. It's also only $60 so that makes it more appealing as well.

Superfly...
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

HH Hex Tarp....
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...70d_polyester/

We're currently trying to organize an Oregon hang, there's a thread in the Trip Planning sub-forum if you'd like to check it out. It would be a really good chance for you to come check out other set-ups and gear.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I like a regular Sil-nylon tarp. The material is very strong for the weight and handles high wind loads well. There are a number of tarp makers and you'll spend $100 plus a bit. Oware cat tarp is a great one. I think a 10'x10' would be best. I have a Warbonnet MambaJamba and I'm pretty happy with it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I'm going for big. I have the Hennessy Hex. It is PU coated and heavy (23oz). The silnylon version is 5oz less. A big Cuben cat tarp would be great. The Hex rainfly is 144" on centerline x 120" wide hexagonal-- I can have my own circus (at least the clowns).

You can always go to the hardware store and buy a cheap 12x10 poly tarp to experiment with-- cheaper is usually lighter. We're talking under $10 at Fred Meyer. They had some that are green on one side and brown on the other--- better than those [[[[[[blue]]]]]]]] things.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    for $100 you can get a nice Silnylon tarp.. yes a Sil tarp will feel alittle heavy wet but not by much... you can get a WB,OES,JRB tarp for around your price...
    take a pick there all really good and will keep you dry
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts