$26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    LMAO
    Wow, sorry - I didn't realize how many Canadians were up in this forum.
    I'm not sure why, but I always assume that forums are 99% American based, lol.

Basically, I'm looking for help/advice from anyone who has tried (or does regularly) winter hammock camping in our Ontario winters.

It seems that everything I've found on the subject is based more on the warmer climates.

I'm from Haliburton County (like an hour and a half north of Peterborough).
    We have LOTS of awesome spots to camp here, and my camping partner and I are wanting to do year round camping (as I seldom get weekends off, etc)

I don't have much $$ at my disposal, so cheap is good.

I have a nylon spear hammock (just a simple and cheap one, but I love it), as well as a GI styled Jungle hammock.

I'm not too sure which would be better.

I have a ground pad (closed cell foam).

I'm wondering if using an old sleeping bag I have as an underquilt would be suffice.
    It's only rated to -2, however I'm wondering if that would be an issue, based on the underquilt purpose. It's primarily to block wind from below and add some non-compressed insulation, right? Would it work, or is Down Filled required?

As far as tarps, I plan to get one that's larger than a summer/fair weather tarp, so I can get it close to ground, and close up the ends to keep wind out as well.

Anyone tried just using Wool blanket(s) for a top quilt? Or again, is Down that important?

As I mentioned, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm trying to find a way to do this as cheap as poss (which usually translated in to added weight and bulk, sadly).

Also, what would be the LOWEST temp safe to Hammock?

Thanks for any help and advice on this matter.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I don't know how many Ontarians have used the HF members map on our home page, but it might be worth checking out.
    Am I missing something? I dont see what you're ref. to.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    There are a few folks in ontario who winter camp. Brian Williams for one. Hopefully he'll post soon. I'd also direct you to
    http://www.wintertrekking.com/
    Lots of good info there for the ontario area . Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    My first winter camp was at Valens Conservation area with some Ontario hangers. Here's the trip report. Went out again with them a few weeks later. The same group plus others went on a spring canoe trip to Algonquin and are planning a fall trip to Algonquin.

With regards to insulation, you could use a combination of sleeping pads and makeshift underquilts. For top insulation, again, a sleeping bag supplemented with wool blankets can work. This of course is heavy and bulky and appropriate for when a vehicle is near. I'm certain we will be getting together at Valens again this winter and of course you'd be welcome to join us if you don't mind the drive to Hamilton.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike2Hang View Post
    Am I missing something? I dont see what you're ref. to.
    Go to the HF homepage and in the right hand column click on the Goggle Map user icon. By the way welcome to HF.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    LMAO
    Wow, sorry - I didn't realize how many Canadians were up in this forum.
    I'm not sure why, but I always assume that forums are 99% American based, lol.

Basically, I'm looking for help/advice from anyone who has tried (or does regularly) winter hammock camping in our Ontario winters.

It seems that everything I've found on the subject is based more on the warmer climates.

We have LOTS of awesome spots to camp here, and my camping partner and I are wanting to do year round camping (as I seldom get weekends off, etc)

I have a nylon spear hammock (just a simple and cheap one, but I love it), as well as a GI styled Jungle hammock.

I'm wondering if using an old sleeping bag I have as an underquilt would be suffice.
    It's only rated to -2, however I'm wondering if that would be an issue, based on the underquilt purpose. It's primarily to block wind from below and add some non-compressed insulation, right? Would it work, or is Down Filled required?

As far as tarps, I plan to get one that's larger than a summer/fair weather tarp, so I can get it close to ground, and close up the ends to keep wind out as well.

Anyone tried just using Wool blanket(s) for a top quilt? Or again, is Down that important?

As I mentioned, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm trying to find a way to do this as cheap as poss (which usually translated in to added weight and bulk, sadly).

Thanks for any help and advice on this matter.
    My first winter hang (actually first hang ever) was -9c just outside of Edmonton. It's going to depend on what you have for insulation and protection.

Images
    I think Turk has the official record lows around here, but there are plenty of people here that have done major way below zero Fahrenheit trips here, though probably most south of your border. Still, plenty of cold experience from NY to MN and elsewhere. Here are just a few to get started with:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6740

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27503

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27574

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27637

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27589

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26995

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    LMAO

Well, many of the people on here hammock camp in the winters. There is an annual group hang at Mt. Rogers near the end of January. In January 2011 there was the Minnesota Freeze You Butt Off Hang the first week, if memory serves and they had some sub zero overnight lows (-18C or colder)

If you have a decent spot that is relatively easy to access for a group of people, you have just officially been nominated to organize a group winter hang. ;-) Crown land is more plentiful in your area than further south and west of you.

Which ever is more comfortable would be better.

There are many people that have started out making underquilts from sleeping bags. If the bag is of cheap construction and quality, its main drawback is compressibility and weight. For winter camping that is less of an issue due to gear being pulled by sled. Is your -2 rated Sleeping bag measured in Celsius or Fahrenheit? If the latter, I'd say you'd be good to go with. The main tip is to ensure that your underquilt fits snugly to your hammock so that there are no air gaps. Down filled is not required. It will reduce your weight and bulk, at the expense of cost. Also remember that wet down is practically useless as insulation. The main goal with your insulation is to ensure that you have enough it for the temperature range you expect to encounter on your trips.

That would be perfect. With site selection and digging out snow channels to ensure no wind gets in definitely helps with keeping from getting cold.

The problem with wool blankets is their weight and bulk and also the number of them you would need to get to a decently low temperature rating for winter use.

As with everything, one has to make due with what they have. You could build a snow shelter in the coldest of temps and inside the temperature would be just below freezing. Using a ccf pad and regular sleeping bag you would be fine. This would be the cheapest, but the most labour intensive method to camp and is dependent on the amount of snow available. Being budget conscious, military surplus is going to be your friend. Picking up the Military Modular Sleep System (Canada or US version) would be your best bet, with both bags together they are rated to -40C, I believe, the downside is that it weight 9 pounds or so.

This past winter someone in the Upstate New York area hammock camped with an overnight low temperature of -36F before wind chill was accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    There are a few folks in ontario who winter camp. Brian Williams for one. Hopefully he'll post soon. I'd also direct you to
    http://www.wintertrekking.com/
    Lots of good info there for the ontario area . Good luck
    I agree with mbiraman, head on over to wintertrekking.com for a very extensive resource on all things winter camping. Be warned they are more old school and traditional over there and believe in wool insulation and cotton canvas tents with wood stoves.

If you've never winter camped before, I would suggest going with someone that is comfortable with the activity or take a course so that you will know what you will be getting into.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi from Toronto..

I find it very amusing that you're dreaming of winter hammocking as we suffer through this brutal heat!! Brother, you're not the only one!!!

This forum's a great resource and you'll find ideas and/or feedback about most of your questions.

As for winter camping... The only advice I have is that if you're not sure that your gear will stand up to some extreme cold weather, try to do a test hang in your backyard. You can always retreat inside if things don't work out. I wouldn't field test in the middle of winter unless you have other optinos and/or backup.

I'm sure some of us Ontario hangers will have another winter hang in 2011-2012.

Also, check Shug's extensive YouTube offerings. He covers everything you need to know to get started and then some!!!

If you like canoeing, you might want to consider joining us this fall in Algonquin (see my signature).
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's an older thread I started about my own gearing up for winter. While the specifics (for me) are now a little dated, the general flavor is still good for winter outings in serious cold weather.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=winter&page=2
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast