Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Exped Ergo - new fully perpendicular hammock

I just came across this link to an outdoor gear show debut of a new hammock from Exped. It's actually similar to something I've designed in my head many times, but never built due to some concerns I had about its practicality. My main concern is that the spider-web of lines linking the perpendicular hammock to the trees would become tangled easily. Still, it's a neat idea, and something similar might end up being the best way to make a true, proper two-person camping hammock.

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gea...o-hammock.html

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Looks pretty cool. I used a Byer of Maine Moskito hammock for several years. . . it has similar lines at each end, and I never had any trouble with tangling. You just have to take a little extra care in how you pack it up. I'd definitely be willing to give one of these a try.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Exped caters a lot to the climbing crowd, so I can see how they got there. Interesting to swing fore and aft rather than sideways. I wonder how it is for access/egress? Seems to be a bridge functionally and could use typical ground pads and sleeping bags. I was talking about a zip-on under quilt on another thread which I think would rock on a rig like this.

That hammock looks almost exactly like WV's!

Very cool hammock, WV allowed me to lay in his hammock and it was the most comfy hammock I have ever been in! I'd be interested to see the details and how this Exped turns out!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Exped caters a lot to the climbing crowd, so I can see how they got there. Interesting to swing fore and aft rather than sideways. I wonder how it is for access/egress? Seems to be a bridge functionally and could use typical ground pads and sleeping bags. I was talking about a zip-on under quilt on another thread which I think would rock on a rig like this.
    My right-angle prototype is insulated - I actually modified an earlier down-insulated hammock, rotated the bed 90°, added more strings, added a leg extension with pad for insulation, and covered the string arrays with sil storage compartments (helps minimize tangles, too), but it's still a work in progress. That's the one that Cranky Bear tried. An earlier version was at the Mt. Rogers hang.

It's pretty cool looking. But I have to laugh at some of the industry press and the quote from Exped marketing:

"For the second consecutive year, Exped has won a gold award, this time for its patent pending Ergo Hammock Combi, the first hammock design that allows the occupant to sleep in a comfortable horizontal position. Exped received another award for the new DownMat UL 7, an ultralight version of the popular Exped DownMat."

“To receive a gold award again this year is a great honor” said Kaj Bune, director of marketing for Exped LLC in North America. “The Ergo Hammock Combi solves the biggest challenge for most folks when it comes to sleeping in a hammock - achieving a horizontal sleep position. Add to that its integrated slot for a sleeping mat, zippered mosquito net and full coverage tarp and this hammock is a complete shelter. And to win a second award for the DownMat UL 7 is great as well. This mat will bring the amazing warmth of the DownMat design to our customers looking to reduce pack weight while retaining as much heat as possible.”

Ummm...perhaps the jury for this show should get out more...

WV have the Exped guys been poking around your workshop?
    Last edited by BER; 07-23-2011 at 13:30.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post

WV, have the Exped guys been poking around your workshop?
    No, but this morning I have been "poking around it" (cutting brambles, pulling up old fencing, and digging into the hillside to get ready to pour footers - i.e., finally getting started on the long-delayed project.

On the hammock: one of the things that makes our hammocks so comfortable is their ability to adjust and conform to whatever body position we wiggle into. That flexibility is partially a function of how loosely the fabric is suspended. Early tests of the right angle hammock suggested to me that simply putting a pad into a dl hammock bed and hanging it at a right angle (under more tension to keep it flat) produces something like a suspended cot, which is not as comfortable as a true hammock. By dividing my hammock suspension into two parts (head/torso + hips/legs), I was able to use separate sag angles for each, which goes a long way to solving that problem. (Complete solution not found yet, despite CrankyBear's enthusiasm). Then I started working on an idea for a two-person hammock, egged on by certain individuals with the initials B. E. R., and discovered how tippy a sleeping platform can get when you expand its area on more than one axis.

There's still hope (for both the workshop and the hammock).

Hammock
    the one i have
    Tarp
    1 that works good
    Insulation
    USMC sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope
    howdy

looks a bit like the old (1700's) hammocks that the ship commander slept in.

filman

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

"fully perpendicular"?

I was thinking you meant perpendicular along the other axis, as in "vertical." You just mean "sideways," eh?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    Everything hammock, tarp, pad, etc to weigh in at 5 lbs. This from their followup to my post on their FB page.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast