Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

2nd tarp for add space?

I am looking for small and lightweight Ideas for some shade to sit in if its hot, or to cook in the rain, I'm not sure if I can hang out under the fly without the hammock in the way.

Anyone have a good way to use another small tarp with the fly for added shelter, allowing me to use it without it when I want, rather than getting the hex fly.

I'm looking for ideas and have never used a hammock yet so all ideas are welcome and needed.

Thanks for all the help so far you folks have a lot of good ideas here.
    Last edited by bmwrider; 07-19-2011 at 21:53.

Images
    Keep the hammock in a pair of snakeskins - up and out of the way.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Lots of backpackers carry a "kitchen tarp" just for use in the rain while still on the trail. Also, depending on the kind of cooking you do, your tarp could carry the odors of the food. You don't want to sleep under that tarp in bear country. That is one reason I do only Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC). No odors of frying bacon in my clothes - now that I think of it, frying bacon on the trail would really taste good
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I am looking for Ideas for some shade to sit in if its hot, or to cook in the rain, I'm not sure if I can hang out under the fly without the hammock in the way.

I'm looking for ideas and have never used a hammock yet so all ideas are welcome and needed.
    I have an AHE Toxaway tarp that allows plenty of room in front porch mode. It stows in a mesh tarp tube that works like a charm. So far the hammock is not in the way but I use it for a chair/couch anyway. Like the front porch mode alot!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Ok, I should have said I want something small and light to add to my setup.
    I will edit my first post.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could consider something like a "poncho tarp", such as the Integral Designs poncho.

I have one (a spare) if you're really interested in one. I haven't gotten around to posting a "for sale" on it.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't like the idea of cooking under my bed but I also mostly canoe so am less weight conscious. One can do a lot with an 8x10 or even a 5x 7 tarp as a shelter to cook or hang out under. It also provides additional gear storage and is group gear if not going solo. If you go that route check into the various pitching options. You probably want a setup where you can take one side to ground when you get windy rain. I think you can do a lot under a pound with silnylon and the lightweight cords now in use. If you like a campfire you might want something heavier that resists flying embers. Hmmm, I wonder how cuben deals with heat..... ;-)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I don't like the idea of cooking under my bed but I also mostly canoe so am less weight conscious. One can do a lot with an 8x10 or even a 5x 7 tarp as a shelter to cook or hang out under. It also provides additional gear storage and is group gear if not going solo. If you go that route check into the various pitching options. You probably want a setup where you can take one side to ground when you get windy rain. I think you can do a lot under a pound with silnylon and the lightweight cords now in use. If you like a campfire you might want something heavier that resists flying embers. Hmmm, I wonder how cuben deals with heat..... ;-)

Even though your were most likely joking about the heat, just in case, I know for sure it melts faster than anything I have ever seen before, a freind had a food bag sitting close to his stove and we were shocked at how fast it wrinkled up to a useless piece of plastic.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I have my old tent footprint that I have for the lady's privacy for use in mixed company (strung like a wall by the "whizzle tree"). You could just as easily string it up for an additional porch, beak, cook tarp, etc.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Lots of backpackers carry a "kitchen tarp" just for use in the rain while still on the trail. Also, depending on the kind of cooking you do, your tarp could carry the odors of the food. You don't want to sleep under that tarp in bear country. That is one reason I do only Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC). No odors of frying bacon in my clothes - now that I think of it, frying bacon on the trail would really taste good
    Like he said. I use two of the Hennessy hex tarps. One is for sleeping under, the other for "living" if weather is foul.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast