Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Hammock + bag = pod

The pictures tell the story here, it's over and under quilt sleep system simplified.

Materials:
    1. GT UL hammock (10 oz. ) http://hangingchairhammock.com/grand...-forest-green/

2. Eureka Eagle Point -15 ( 6 lb. synthetic) http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Eagle-P.../dp/B0015KD114

How it's done1. Cut approximately an 8" slit in each end of the bag.
    2. Make a 2 collars about 12" wide, with a channel for a draw string on one end.
    3. Sew a binding around the circumference of both slits of grossgrain.
    4. Sew a 24" loop of elastic cord to the grossgrain on the bottom of each end of the bag to pull the bag taunt on the hammock suspension lines
    5. Sew the 12" collar to the grossgrain on each end
    6. Run the GTUL hammock through the bag
    7. Hang the hammock, pull the loop of elastic cord out to prussics on each suspension line to draw tha bag out to it's full length.

Pros:The Eagle Point bag is inexpensive and has a draft collar at the shoulders which is drawn up once in the bag, so it snugs up under the hammock occupant. With the hammock inside the bag, it stays completely lofted, and then some. It sets up quick.

Cons: The Eagle Point bag is NOT backpackable. Too heavy and bulky. I use a sled/pack frame which attaches at my hips for winter though, so there is plenty of room for gear, and weight is not a factor.

For winter excursions, I always use an enclosed tarp system, which on the inside has withstood temperatures below zero maintaing a excellent inside temperature.

The hammock is stretched out very tight in the pictures to allow for accurate idea of how it works, for sleeping it would be quite a bit more slack.

It was not possible to take pictures of this setup with the bag occupied, because it was about 90 degrees when I took the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    Interesting idea. Are you able to sleep on the diagonal much with this setup?

Images
    Very slick indeed! Good conversion, and just using what you have! And deals with the wasteful hood hanging underneath, and solves problems if your zipper does not go all the way around the foot, like with all of my bags.

It might not be back packable, but that is solved by just using another bag. You could just as easily use a 2 lb or less bag, whatever was right for the expected temps.

I bet that is a pretty big bag on the inside. Seems to me like bigger is better for this, like with the commercial PeaPod or PolarPod. IOW, it seems better to me when the ends of the pod easily reach as close as possible to, or over, the ends of the hammock. That way, when I cinch it down tight as a drum on the end to avoid, I don't end up compressing the hammock ends and effectively loosing some hammock length. Also, plenty of width doesn't hurt when it comes to diagonal and side/fetal sleeping.

Cool(warm) mod!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Interesting idea. Are you able to sleep on the diagonal much with this setup?
    I don't know yet, I have not been out with either just the GT UL, or, the winter bag setup. It will be a while for the winter hang. Am working on a bug net ala-hf for hopefully a weekend out soon.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!
    Very cool idea! I might just have to adopt this. My current bag won't allow for diagonal sleeping though. Nice work!

• + New Posts