Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict

Gros Morne Newfoundland - North Rim and Long Range

I recently returned from a backpacking trip to Newfoundland's Gros Morne National Park. The park is a part of the International Appalachian Trail and is on the Western side of Newfoundland. The terrain is low mountain and is arctic tundra so a lot different from much of the places I've camped.

There are two back-country routes there (trails is the wrong word). The North Rim is a linear 27 km and the Long Range linearly 35 km. Despite the seemingly short distance, this was a 6 night solo trip and I don't know if would be possible in much less. The reason for the hardship is that there is no actual trail and the park has this wonderful tree called tuckamore that is stunted balsam and spruce trees that grow in this arctic tundra and are essentially impenetrable.

Having no trails for most of the route, the wardens require you to take an orienteering test before issuing permits and make you take along a transmitter. They also have you trace out a recommended route. Most people follow the Long Range Traverse which has campsites at 5 places and few follow the North Rim which has thick tuck and path-finding is challenging.

My first night was after a short trek to snug harbour, a nice little site sheltered in what is essentially a fjord. After that was the climb to the Long Range Plateau, about 700m above the first site. After around 9 hours I made it to the next site. The next day was another 9 hours of treking up and down and through tuck and bogs. It's amazing to think that walking through knee deep bogs, climbing 100 m up a ridge, or detouring a couple kms was preferable to the tuck.

(Thankfully) the fourth day was rainy and fog dense enough to prevent navigating so I had a day to rest and take in some calories. After that, the way was a little easier when I got onto the Long Range, except for numerous waist deep river crossings and the decent back down which finds it's way down the side of a cliff, dropping at a 45 degree grade (in the rain).

Biggest surprise was that I had decent weather for 4 of the 7 days (the others were rain and thick Newfoundland fog). Some amazing scenery including snow patches, caribou, moose, ptarmigan (and some pretty big black bear prints).

An extremely challenging trek (especially carrying 8 days of food) but well worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keg; 07-21-2011 at 13:45.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Awesome report keg! Sounds like quite the challenge. That is some pretty spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing.

--Tim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Great pics and report! Looks awesome. Too bad you couldn't meet up with BLUEFIN 774.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great pics. Beautiful place.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Rugged landscape and beautiful. I can see why it took 6 days of finding your way. Really a cross-country trek. Thanks for the pics and report.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I forgot to mention the bugs. Blackflies out in force, mosquitoes, and some other kind of camouflage housefly thing that all together made me feel like the kid in the UNICEF commercials every time I stopped.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    SPECTACULAR!!!! I need this park badly.

Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!
    ****, that's some stunning scenery! I really want to do this trip, maybe in the next summer or so. After I take an orienteering refresher, that is! Don't want your compass skills to be only so-so out there.
    Great report, Keg, I might bother you for more details later.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    GPS helps. Also the open views make it a lot easier to pick out landmarks..

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    I recently returned from a backpacking trip to Newfoundland's Gros Morne National Park. The park is a part of the International Appalachian Trail and is on the Western side of Newfoundland. The terrain is low mountain and is arctic tundra so a lot different from much of the places I've camped.

There are two back-country routes there (trails is the wrong word). The North Rim is a linear 27 km and the Long Range linearly 35 km. Despite the seemingly short distance, this was a 6 night solo trip and I don't know if would be possible in much less. The reason for the hardship is that there is no actual trail and the park has this wonderful tree called tuckamore that is stunted balsam and spruce trees that grow in this arctic tundra and are essentially impenetrable.

Having no trails for most of the route, the wardens require you to take an orienteering test before issuing permits and make you take along a transmitter. They also have you trace out a recommended route. Most people follow the Long Range Traverse which has campsites at 5 places and few follow the North Rim which has thick tuck and path-finding is challenging.

My first night was after a short trek to snug harbour, a nice little site sheltered in what is essentially a fjord. After that was the climb to the Long Range Plateau, about 700m above the first site. After around 9 hours I made it to the next site. The next day was another 9 hours of treking up and down and through tuck and bogs. It's amazing to think that walking through knee deep bogs, climbing 100 m up a ridge, or detouring a couple kms was preferable to the tuck.

(Thankfully) the fourth day was rainy and fog dense enough to prevent navigating so I had a day to rest and take in some calories. After that, the way was a little easier when I got onto the Long Range, except for numerous waist deep river crossings and the decent back down which finds it's way down the side of a cliff, dropping at a 45 degree grade (in the rain).

Biggest surprise was that I had decent weather for 4 of the 7 days (the others were rain and thick Newfoundland fog). Some amazing scenery including snow patches, caribou, moose, ptarmigan (and some pretty big black bear prints).

An extremely challenging trek (especially carrying 8 days of food) but well worth it.
    Hey keg,

I'm just finding this post now.
    I was away at work when this was originally posted I guess. Beautiful photos there in Gros Morne. I have not hiked the North Rim or the Long Range Traverse yet. I have hiked most of the other trails in the park. All Beautiful hikes. Thanks for sharing your photos to HF showing the beautiful scenery here in Newfoundland, Canada.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast