Idea for half bug net attachment system, maybe zipper

Hi all! I am considering making a half bug net that is zipped to both edges of the hammock, but just drapes down from the ridgeline over my body. I've used a half bug net with no zippers in the past (similar to this). On this one a piece of shock cord was used to hold the bug net on. I like the ease of entering and exiting with this set up, as well as the minimal weight/bulk. It is also important to me for the bug net to be fully removable.

The reason I think the half bug net might be improved with a zipper is mainly for a better seal on the outside edges. Maybe I could achieve the same result with more shock cord or a different attachment system. Main draw back of this method would be that zippers break more easily than other elements. It would also be more complex to build.

I've also considered sewing grosgrain loops a few inches down on the hammock body and using these plus shock cord and a toggle for attachment. I think this might be what I'm leaning towards.

I've tried searching and haven't seen anyone do this before. Maybe there is a reason for that. Any ideas of additional pros or cons? Or ideas for an effective attachment system to get a decent seal on the edges of a half bug net?

Have heard of folks using small rare earth magnets in one seam (sewn in) and small washers sewn into the other. If draped well, they join together and make a good seal. Just a thought, others may have more/better input.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Sounds like a nice project.

The half nets are basically an effort to cut grams in bug season. Any additional closures sort of runs in the opposite direction, but it is what it is for you or anyone else..HYOH.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Superior Gear hammocks do a bug-nut like that. Nice. https://superiorgear.com/product/half-bug-net
    See in the video below at 9:39 into the video.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Sounds like a nice project.
    The half nets are basically an effort to cut grams in bug season. Any additional closures sort of runs in the opposite direction, but it is what it is for you or anyone else..HYOH.
    Yes, I think that is a very fair point about the idea running against the UL mentality. My goal is partly to not carry things I don't use. I also like that with a half bug net I'm not "trapped" in the hammock and can get in and out without any additional steps. I'm leaning away from the zipper and towards some sort of shock cord, grosgrain loop attachment system. I think this could be done for a fraction of an ounce to improve the functionality, which is ok in my book!

• + New Posts