Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Heard from Cerberus aka Zak aka Nest tonight. I think I'm having an identity crisis here, or he has developed multiple personalities !

Everything is going great, really enjoying himself and meeting lots of nice folks. Weather has been rough, but to agree with Hammock Engineer on his SOBO last year, shelters aren't so bad when it means not having to pack wet gear. Heading for the Smokies.

Shiloh is in Hiawassee, heading towards Franklin tomorrow.

Not sure where Cannibal is, but somewhere between Franklin and Fontana.

They are all wanting to hit the Hot Springs hang out next month, so we may have to do a little shuttling. I'll keep you guys posted!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Heard from Cerberus aka Zak aka Nest tonight. I think I'm having an identity crisis here, or he has developed multiple personalities !

Everything is going great, really enjoying himself and meeting lots of nice folks. Weather has been rough, but to agree with Hammock Engineer on his SOBO last year, shelters aren't so bad when it means not having to pack wet gear. Heading for the Smokies.

Shiloh is in Hiawassee, heading towards Franklin tomorrow.

Not sure where Cannibal is, but somewhere between Franklin and Fontana.

They are all wanting to hit the Hot Springs hang out next month, so we may have to do a little shuttling. I'll keep you guys posted!
    So I recall this friendly wager between Cerberus a.k.a. Zak a.k.a. Nest on who would go to ground first. Now using a shelter doesn't necessarily mean going to ground, but that's the usual approach. Can we infer that C-Z-N has already spent a night on-trail but not-in-hammock?

jest wondering.

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    With all the rain, hail, snow and winds, I'm almost positive they have both stayed in a shelter! They are saying the bet was who would unintentionally go to the ground. They keep changing it as they go along.

The last bet I heard was who could get the most photos of girls in their hammocks or something like that. I tried not to listen Some things a Mom is better off not knowing...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    With all the rain, hail, snow and winds, I'm almost positive they have both stayed in a shelter! They are saying the bet was who would unintentionally go to the ground. They keep changing it as they go along.

The last bet I heard was who could get the most photos of girls in their hammocks or something like that. I tried not to listen Some things a Mom is better off not knowing...
    can't say as I blame them. No purist, me.

All my life I have followed the principle that there are some things my mother is better off not knowing....

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    You get those two together and no telling what you'll hear!! I'm just kidding about all that. Fortunately, we have a great relationship and friendship. Heck, he let's me go camping and hiking with him and only laughs when I hit the ground!

And, all this accumulation of gear is his fault!!! I'm getting old and was planning on resting in my old age. Now he has me planning 10 days on the trail and the Grayson Highlands after Hot Springs. Believe me, they will be LOW mile days for Zak!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You get those two together and no telling what you'll hear!! I'm just kidding about all that. Fortunately, we have a great relationship and friendship. Heck, he let's me go camping and hiking with him and only laughs when I hit the ground!

And, all this accumulation of gear is his fault!!! I'm getting old and was planning on resting in my old age. Now he has me planning 10 days on the trail and the Grayson Highlands after Hot Springs. Believe me, they will be LOW mile days for Zak!
    Grayson Highlands is a beautiful area. you'll like it!
    but there are some pretty decent hills there that you may want to take your time on.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Sounds like you guys are having a great time. You might already be doing it, but a few southbounders last year had a good network of phonenumbers. We tried to text back the trail updates on water and important changes. Then make notes in registers. They were a huge help most of the time. Once it was way off though.

From the look of it, it sounds like you guys got the right idea. Just go with it and don't let the way other people think or the way you thought before your hike get in the way. Go with it and have fun. And not letting virtual hiking get in the way of real hiking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Heard from Zak. Now in Newfound Gap, Mile 204. 1/10th of the way! He said the weather has been terrible, and last night was the coldest he's been. About 4" of snow.

Has anyone heard from Cannibal or Shiloh?

Images
    For starters, the original bet was the first one to have their hammock/suspension break. Voluntary groundism doesn't apply. Not many hikers in the smokies right now anyways, so it's pretty much guaranteed that you stay in a shelter for now.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    At the Fontana Lodge recovering. Got caught in a white-out at the top of the mountain coming down into Fontana. Lost the trail 3 times! Who's the brainiac that decided to paint white blazes on boulders anyway?! Learned what it feels like to sleep in a wet hammock in wet clothes with wet quilts. Still, I haven't hit the ground (or shelter floor) yet! HANGIN HIGH BABY!!!!!!!!!!

I did hang in one shelter just for the experience; my tarp is way better cover!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast