Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Here's a visual for ya from my hiking 101 series:

"If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I pre4fer a sleeping bag rather than a quilt BUT I open the sleeping bag to use as a quilt. The reason I like it better that way is the extra width gives me lots of tuck room on the sides. More than a normal quilt would given my size. I like that.
    I second this comotion! I like to be able to tuck the edges under my shoulders a good bit and if it was much narrower than my bag I couldn't do that!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I was always into packing and hiking, and for me and wife, we used 2 and 3 diff temp sleeping bags with Big Agnes insulated air core mats in as light as weight tents..but in summer,,bags are too hot no matter what the temp rating,,and as we became ultraliters,,we went to just air mats, and quilts,,and had a couple even custom made to 55 degrees, for summer,,then also we like to use,,like now,,when its hotter than heck out side..couple of poncho liners,,they weigh about 20 oz ea,,but anything you thro over you is better than trying to scramble into a bag in a hammock. Try a quilt and you might never use anything else,,and the next thing you will be buying is all kinds of them for diff. temp ratings,,and they are very light weight..add the UQ under you,,and your toast!

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    A sleeping bag would seem cumbersome to get into in a hammock. I use a blanket or comforter. If I want more warmth, I just lean left, then lean right and get some of that blanket underneath me. It allows more temperature options than the conventional bed.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Images
    the way the hammock cradles the user, the fabric rising on the sides makes tucking a quilt very easy, and drafts alot less likely. with an underquilt and tq, you easily have many inches of overlap on the sides, and there is no need to deal with those connecting straps that ground quilts have to keep the quilt secure.

i bet on the ground, a sleeping bag is probably easier to use and deal with than a quilt, with the ground quilt you're having to deal with drafts and things, but in a hammock the tq is actually more convenient and easy to use than a sleeping bag so the only reasons against it are the cost really.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I might also add,,most of the down quilts made are considerably lighter than most bags,,and they compress in the pack alot smaller, leaving yu more room in the pack,,might even give you the opportunity to pack alittle more of the comfort items you would normally leave at home or in the car, as packing lighter lets you go father,,or another reason,,carry more food even. There are so many reasons to go with a quilt,,vs bag ...just think about them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Try to get in a mummy bag with a RH zipper in a hammock set up for LH entry-- it would go viral on YouTube
    I've done it! And with a bottom entry hammock also. Oh yes, baby, are you experienced? Cause I am!

But a quilt style bag or actual quilt sure is easier!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    man when i first got on this site, i laughed at the prices of the quilts and didnt fully understand just why id be paying more.

then one night i thought id be slick and take my fleece sleeping bag outside and use it in the hammock.....HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    unless you dont mind tracking all kinds of crap in, getting into the bag then into the hammock was just about the only way i got situated, and by the time i was laying where i should, the bag had shifted and tightened on me so much i needed help getting out of it.

the someone explained to me why quilts were useful, both top and bottoms and how the TQ's were similar in construction to normal bags just open, and i figured it out.

still dont have one yet, but saving up right now. cant wait to get a set!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have a DIY hammock made from 1.1 ripstop. I started useing a quilt because I was paranoid that a zipper would rub on my 1.1 and dump me onto the ground. Probably when I decided to hang over a sharp rock. So, fear made me do it
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    I am waiting to get a set of 900 fill cuban quilts. until then I used my old slumberjack 20 degree bag. I have a couple of these and if I dont have my "super quilts" by winter I plan on just modifing them by removing the zippers, cutting and sewing them to proper quilt size. "I will never return to the ground". The last few times out this summer I just use a z-rest with a thin fleence blanket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast