LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So this is just my opinion on the matter, but wouldn't hammocking in the yard/on the boat/on the porch be considered an "Outing" since you are outside of your house? Therefore that discussion of how well you slept last night could go in the Trip Report subforum. And everything else really could just go under General Hammock Talk forum. There is nothing that states the discussion there (or really anywhere here) must involve heading into the woods.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Olddog, sorry I didn't catch your earlier inquiry about full-time hammockers. I'll search for that thread and add myself to the count there when I find it. Hard to believe there are only 12 of us! (lucky 13 counting myself)

I'd be interested in a house hammocking category. I'm especially interested in DIY Mayan and Brazilian style hammocks, DIY "furniture" quality stands, and safe & aesthetic indoor hanging methods. I'm one of those who sleep full time in a hammock, also for lounging & reading instead of sofa & recliner. I ued to be a dedicated hiker/cycler & hammock camper, but not so much lately after a bad accident. I live pretty deep in the woods, though, so there's always plenty of opportunity to hang outdoors even if I can't hike or bike now.

The DIY threads are especially interesting to me. I'm trying my hand at weaving a "double-sprang" Mayan now, just to do it (what a tangled web I weave...), also fiddling with getting the end cords right on a Brazilian I'm making for a friend (and crocheting fancy borders for the sides). I don't need a frame here (this house is too small for one), but it's fun to study the designs on HF and see how folks tweak them to make them even better. I'll probably end up making one sooner or later to PIF, just for fun.

RamblinRev, I noticed the "lively" discussions about how to hang indoors, too. It seems to me that the same questions keep coming up again and again, and there seem to be some pretty distinct differences of opinion on how to do it "best" (i.e., for personal safety and with minimal damage to house, stand vs. wall mounts, how to determine distance & height, etc). I've read jst about all of those threads now, and I've changed my ways on account of info in some of them that I hadn't considered before. So I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a separate sub-forum to collect all those "Hanging Indoors" threads in one place, so that maybe folks will look there first, before asking the same questions that have been answered so many times and with such variety of preferences. Maybe someone with good knowledge will write a Sticky that consolidates the alternatives in those many threads,maybe also the pros/cons of each. I'd volunteer to do this, but I don't think I qualify as an expert just because my hammocks haven't fallen down or blown out a wall stud-- yet.

I've rambled on and on more than enough! Short answer: Yes, I'm interested!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    RamblinRev, I noticed the "lively" discussions about how to hang indoors, too. It seems to me that the same questions keep coming up again and again, and there seem to be some pretty distinct differences of opinion on how to do it "best" (i.e., for personal safety and with minimal damage to house, stand vs. wall mounts, how to determine distance & height, etc). I've read jst about all of those threads now, and I've changed my ways on account of info in some of them that I hadn't considered before. So I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a separate sub-forum to collect all those "Hanging Indoors" threads in one place, so that maybe folks will look there first, before asking the same questions that have been answered so many times and with such variety of preferences. Maybe someone with good knowledge will write a Sticky that consolidates the alternatives in those many threads,maybe also the pros/cons of each. I'd volunteer to do this, but I don't think I qualify as an expert just because my hammocks haven't fallen down or blown out a wall stud-- yet.
    You are quite right.That somebody can drape or tie or catch the end ropes of a hammock on some parts of building structures and not be crying out for help from the pit of Hell in their report to HF soon therafter seems evidence to some of a method to be repeated and presented here for approval and emulation.

I've been here just over six months and happened to catch and correct two posters with no evident knowledge of how doors are framed, how warping occurs in wood, or how expensive it can be to repair structural damage.

There was a post recently of a news story on just how several people ignored postings and verbal warnings, and were swept to their death over a waterfall in Yosemite Park. Nobody is likely to die from poorly chosen ways to hang a hammock indoors, but surely a sticky on how not to within a sub-forum on indoor hammocks would not expose the mods to any liability.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    So this is just my opinion on the matter, but wouldn't hammocking in the yard/on the boat/on the porch be considered an "Outing" since you are outside of your house? Therefore that discussion of how well you slept last night could go in the Trip Report subforum. And everything else really could just go under General Hammock Talk forum. There is nothing that states the discussion there (or really anywhere here) must involve heading into the woods.
    well that could be the case, but i was writing based on the fact that most of the posts are about general hammock camping, i guess what i was referring to would be the hammocking lifestyle outside walking miles to get to a desolate place with no plumbing

hammocking has increasingly become a bigger part of my day to day activities ( i need to get out more...and leave the eno at home) and there gets to be a more focused place to talk about things related.

on most days, im happy as heck to get out and take pics of my hammock under a pier at the beach, but it doesnt make for a fascinating and lengthy trip report, lol. i got there, dodged some tourist and set it up. slept....

if the mods think the forum should be differentiated into camping (ie: hiking, wilderness etc) and other hammocking activities, im for it. if theyre not, well im not going to go complain on another forum about it!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I think that a house hammock subforum is a good idea. I got tired of answering the same questions over and over a while back. It's also nice to be able to see what other folks have come up with. I'm particularly impressed with Turtlelady"s bamboo hammock stand.
    Last edited by pedro; 07-23-2011 at 07:15.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i think that any hammock setup inside your house , whether it is for nightly sleeping or just a nice nap would be suitable for such a sub forum,folks looking for hanging hardware info or where and what to buy, etc can all be condensed here,

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I'll sign this petition. I'm a quasi-full timer indoors and having a sub forum to search woe be much easier than the massive search function. Knottys awesome Sports Authority blankets come to mind. Definately an indoor only quilt set up.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

what would be nice is at the least a sticky regarding how to hang at home. Best stands to use, what sort of wood or material to sink into a backyar and how far, etc to hang there, or even if possible how to properly hang based on solid supports inside the garage or house without damaging the structure.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    i think that any hammock setup inside your house , whether it is for nightly sleeping or just a nice nap would be suitable for such a sub forum,folks looking for hanging hardware info or where and what to buy, etc can all be condensed here,
    +1. Looking to add one on my balcony soon.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    the difference i see in giving advise about indoor hanging methods is that we have no way of knowing what is in someones wall, i would not recommend putting an eyebolt in a 30year old mobile home, i have heard of people snapping 4x4's, which i never would have thought possible.
    i am happy to help anyway i can to get people sleeping in hammocks at home, i have had trouble sleeping my whole life, now i sleep like a baby, it's just that not every method will work in every situation
    when you hang a hammock on a 10" diameter tree , you know what you've got, in a home , not so much,

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast