Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images

First experience using a pad...

I had to test out my new DIY modified zHammock a couple of days ago. The weather was a beautiful, breezy 70ish day. I had a book to finish reading and a new hammock to test. With the treehouse built up on stilts, I have a perfect place to hang the hammock and a nearby table to set my drink. If I stretch just a bit, I can kick off the table leg to start swinging.

I set up, stretched out and began reading. Even though the sun was out, it wasn't too long before I was noticeably cool where I was touching the hammock itself. I ran inside, grabbed my RidgeRest and stuck it inside the hammock. The openings I left between the layers worked just as I thought they would. There was plenty of room to insert and adjust the pad and the hammock body helped to hold it open until I got in.
    It took a couple of times adjusting the pad to get it just right, but I managed to do so fairly quickly and returned to my reading, nice and toasty.

The breeze continued blowing fairly steadily, and I noticed that I was definitely cooler where I was not lying on the pad itself. Fortunately, I got a large pad, giving me a 25" width instead of the regular's 20". I was able to lay completely on the pad and remain comfortably warm!

Of course, it rained that night and I was unable to test the hammock out overnight. However, I will be testing for at least a few nights on my the porch once I get back to school from spring break.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    it surprises people that they can feel cool in that warm of temps, but being suspended in the air & your weight compressing your clothing & skin to the tightly stretched hammock, it doesn't take much of a temp drop... especially when there is air movement involved.
    glad you're working out the details.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts