Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Styrofoam insulation?

As I'm sitting here pouring my coke into a styrofoam cup, it occurs to me that styrofoam is a really great insulator.

I don't know if you can buy the stuff in rolls, or if you would have to carry around the large peanuts of it, or if it would be durable at all, but it would certainly be light weight.

Anyone ever thought of trying to configure some sort of underside insulation using some type of styrofoam?
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    someone mentioned it a while back on the hammockcamping yahoo group.
    i believe a couple of the main obstacles were that it`s so fragile/breakable, & that if the container/sack it was in ripped, it would be a major mess that would be hard/impossible to recover<G>.
    but who knows??? maybe you`ll come up w/ a way to use it.
    i would suppose that the r value vs weight would be better than ccf?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    A solid sheet could work, but you could not roll it. You would have to trim it to the size you wanted, then cut that down to the size that worked in your pack. Then attach each piece somehow.

BTW

Michele, stop worrying about your gear. You will be fine on your hike. When in doubt just stop and think "it will all work out in the end". You will figure things out along the way.

Nate

Don't worry I need to take my advice also.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    A solid sheet could work, but you could not roll it. You would have to trim it to the size you wanted, then cut that down to the size that worked in your pack. Then attach each piece somehow.

BTW

Michele, stop worrying about your gear. You will be fine on your hike. When in doubt just stop and think "it will all work out in the end". You will figure things out along the way.

Nate

Don't worry I need to take my advice also.
    I think I'll just buy a few of those kick boards they use at the pool and duct tape them together!

I'm not THAT worried about my gear (but will admit I am hoping for a miracle solution to present itself for staying warm). I am trying to keep my mind occupied, because I'm going crazy with this wait. For example, as I was slumbering off to sleep the other night, I came up with this idea for insertable nostril filters a non-smoker could wear in a bar or the home of a smoker. Somehow they'd mold to your particular nostrils and you'd just put them inside, but you'd have to breathe through your nose all of the time for the air to be filtered. Man..a little scary to think of what crap will come out of my head when I finally give it time to catch up!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    How bout a styrofoam underquilt. It consists of a large plastic bag fill will styrofoam peanuts that fits under the hammock. The next JRB product maybe?

Styrofoam is not very enviromentally friendly either. You being one of those hippie hiker types should have known that!

Images

Styrofoam Peanuts...

The government got involved a few years back and most of the newer peanuts are being made with Corn Starch. Thus they degrade and melt with time and /or water. So while the idea has some merit it won't hold WATER!!! HAHA! Gotta love those environmental issues they have improved some parts of ours lives for sure. Of course the fun part is that there about 5 or 6 different types of plastics out there and not all of them are recycleable.

TOG

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ &amp; OQ
    Images
    Bean bag chairs have bb sized styrofoam. Could make a quilt, but would be heavier than fiber ins. and would have zero compression. I think the majority of good insulation ideas are already in use in some form. A lot of warmth comes from using them properly just as much as from their insulating ability.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Michele;.. For example, as I was slumbering off to sleep the other night, I came up with this idea for insertable nostril filters a non-smoker could wear in a bar or the home of a smoker. Somehow they'd mold to your particular nostrils and you'd just put them inside, but you'd have to breathe through your nose all of the time for the air to be filtered. Man..a little scary to think of what crap will come out of my head when I finally give it time to catch up! [/QUOTE]

LOL...that`s pretty good michele<g>.
    when you get that one figured out, you should be able to market it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    How bout a styrofoam underquilt. It consists of a large plastic bag fill will styrofoam peanuts that fits under the hammock. The next JRB product maybe?

Styrofoam is not very enviromentally friendly either. You being one of those hippie hiker types should have known that!

What?....Styrofoam is bad for the environment? ****..I thought it would be the perfect insulator, but on second thought, I think I'll just go buy some asbestos instead!

Of course I know styrofoam would survive a nuclear (or nucular if Bush is pronouncing it) war...along with the cockroaches. I figure the more styrofoam that is in the possesion of an nature-loving hiker, the less chance it will end up in places it shouldn't be.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hey michele... i know your cash is limited, but check out the pea pods & other stuff ed has on sale on the speer site.
    that pea pod is hard to beat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast