Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thought I was going to have something useful to add, but Grizz beat me to it. I like a Klemheist better than the Prussic for the tarp ridge line. I have not noticed an issue with slippage of lash-it on lash-it for this purpose, but use 5 turns rather than the 3 that are shown on Grizz's link.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Thanks for all the replies...you all really know to come to someones aid!!

Will try the ZingIt on ZingIt, and the Klemheist Knot...great suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I'm not clear on the problem with the tarp being too high when you tried bungees for prussic ropes. Was it the tarp itself that was too high, or did it necessitate tying the tarp ropes higher on the trees? I'd expect the tarp ropes to be tied lower than the hammock ropes generally, and the tarp height to be set by where you tie to the tree.

I've only addressed your present problem with a back-up solution, but maybe I can help with possible future problems. If you PM me an address I'll send you some of my DIY cuben repair tape for field repairs. It weighs next to nothing. (You can, of course do emergency repairs with other tapes, but be warned: when you remove packing tape or Gorilla tape from your tarp, you risk pulling part of the polyester laminate with it. That's how I got the pinhole in mine.)

One final question - in the photo there's an oval black connection between the carabiner and the tie-out webbing. Is that a heavy O-ring? If so, good idea!

Have a good hike!
    RE: Tarp being set too high... Basically if one uses a bungy or shockcord, you need more distance in between the hammock suspension lines, therefore forcing the tarp and rigging to be hung higher on the tree.

Thanks for the offer of the DIY Cuben Repair Tape...Will PM an address. That would be great to have out on the trail.

RE: Black Oval Connection. That is a D Ring sewed into a webbing loop. Works great with the biner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    About the over or under issue.

I like it over the top so that I do not have the rope rubbing the cuben. Cuben can wear and since this stuff is lightweight and expensive, I don't want to take any chances. I need to get at least 100 more nights out of it this year

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Thought it over for a while. Assuming you are hanging the tarp under the ridge line you are fooling yourself about the stress on the tarp. The way you get "flat" is to use a lot of tension. There is always some droop but the tighter the line the lower the droop or flatter the ridge. The benefit of a CRL with a lightweight tarp is you can use high strength line very tight under the tarp to get a flatter lay. You then drape the tarp over the tight line with low stress. That way not much force is on the slider knots or the tarp. Try it and you will see the difference.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    About the over or under issue.

I like it over the top so that I do not have the rope rubbing the cuben. Cuben can wear and since this stuff is lightweight and expensive, I don't want to take any chances. I need to get at least 100 more nights out of it this year
    The more I learn about it the more likely I will never decide Cuben is not worth the cost. My wallet likes that! ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The more I learn about it the more likely I will never decide Cuben is not worth the cost. My wallet likes that! ;-)
    That double negative is going to sneak up and bite you some day, and your wallet will be the one to pay. In the meantime, you're showing good judgement: "Try to distinguish between what you need and what you wish you needed."

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    That double negative is going to sneak up and bite you some day, and your wallet will be the one to pay. In the meantime, you're showing good judgement: "Try to distinguish between what you need and what you wish you needed."
    oop! Bed time. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Thought I was going to have something useful to add, but Grizz beat me to it. I like a Klemheist better than the Prussic for the tarp ridge line. I have not noticed an issue with slippage of lash-it on lash-it for this purpose, but use 5 turns rather than the 3 that are shown on Grizz's link.
    +1 on using 5 turns!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Just able to get back on.. 4 turns using the same rope as the ridgeline (Dutch's) worked...

No slip, no saggy tarp! Thanks to everyone!

Had some heavy rains last week in Mass and VT....glad I was in a hammock. I could hear the hikers in the tents next to us counting the puddles inside.
    Last edited by Chop; 08-12-2011 at 06:35. Reason: spellign (sp)

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Just able to get back on.. 4 turns using the same rope as the ridgeline (Dutch's) worked...

No slip, no saggy tarp! Thanks to everyone!

Had some heavy rains last week in Mass and VT....glad I was in a hammock. I could hear the hikers in the tents next to us counting the puddles inside.
    Yes we did! I spent a night out in the rain using my WBBB & Superfly. Dry as a bone! I wouldn't want to attempt that in tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast