Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Excellent. It sounds like the gear used is less important than the skills, which is something I've found to be true in many of my passions. This seems far easier to me than a complicated mixture of straps, rings, biners, slings, wingdings, who's a what's it's, and so on and so forth.

Thanks again, now I'm off to practice my basic knots.

JGON

Well my Clark came yesterday, and it appears they are still shipping with the Drip Rings... that was a surprise!

Next question...

I'm assuming most of you use some sort of fixed knot, such as a bowline, to permanently attach the small ropes to your rain fly. After that, I was planning on using tautline hitches for the "working end" of the line. What do you normally secure your tarp lines to? I was thinking of packing some tent stakes with.

Thanks again,

JGON

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Tent stakes for sure for the ground. If you are bushcrafty you can make your own stakes when you get to camp. For porch mode or for panel pulls, it's nice to use another tree or tree branch if they are close by and in good position.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    Wow those rings are huge! I just got my descender rings in from { Whoopieslings.com } there tiny compared to those and do the exact same thing with the added
    bonus of having a continuous loop of Amsteel attached so I can be lazy and not have to knot the end of the hammock

~

I'd go with six to ten { titanium tent stakes } there not cheap by any means but at .28 ounces each there light and small enough not to ever bother you.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Knots

Put the rope through the drip ring. Then through again. With the tree hugger on, put the end of the rope through the Tree hugger. Then through the drip ring,and back towards the tree hugger. Tie a slippery Half hitch with a Quick release to lock it down. This essentially is a Truckers Hitch with the dripring acting as your loop. Piece of cake. I'm 270, It holds me. If you'd like, I'll make a Video of it. I DON"T NEED NO STINKIN SLINGS!

I ordered drip rings when I ordered my NX250, and the person whom I spoke with at Clark said "how about if I just throw them in?" and I said "Thanks". They came along with the rest at no cost and I am using them in my suspension, an easy way to adjust length.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I have tested in the yard and plant to use this weekend Grizz's sliding descending ring/carabiner setup. My concern is w/my HH stock rope. His demo is using Spiderline, Amsteel, and Vectran (spelling???). Will the HH stock rope hold up ok using this setup (rope from hammock to ring, 3 wraps, to carabiner, back to ring where it is tied off). I leave it all together and only clip my biner to the strap when I wrap it around the tree. It is easily adjustable quick. Just a little heave compared to Whoopies.

Thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    i use the supplied drip rings in the same fashion atm, but with better suspension rope than Clark supplied, it works well and allows easy adjustability.
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12