Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

6 days on the Selway River, Idaho

so my cousin owns this whitewater rafting / fishing outfit that runs the Selway river in Idaho ... S.O.A.R. northwest river company

northwestriver.com/

i'm a website designer, so i redid his website in exchange for a trip. i must say, one of the best trips i've had.

this was the first extended hammocking trip i've gone on. i've done 1 - 2 nights here and there with the hammock for the past year+ ... so i'm familiar with the hammock, i've customized my HH with whoopies, with a guide gear tarp, tensioners, just bought a JRB underquilt, but this was truly a fantastic test of the hammock's merits as superior 'backpacking' gear. i put 'backpacking' in quotes, as being on rafts is more like car camping ... so i brought some extra gear; mule tape (never had to use it), some extra lines and extra tensioners to play with different tarp setups, etc

so, we'd shoot some rapids and drift down the Selway river for most of the day, then stop at a campsite for the night. there were about 18 people total on this trip (4 boats) ... when we'd pull up and unload the boat, people would all rush up to where they campsites were ... you could feel a slight sense of anxiety and tension as people fretted over getting a good tent spot. some people wanted more privacy, some wanted a better view, some wanted to be closer to the main camp kitchen so they didn't have to walk as far (there was quite an age range on the trip).

after the first night, i figured out to just let people stress over finding their nice flat tent camping spots ... i didn't have to worry about that. after everyone was all setup, i'd go around and scope out what trees were where and i'd casually claim the best spot in camp.

of course my hammock rig got a fair amount of attention and questions. "what if you fall out?" ... "what about bugs?" ... "what if there are no trees?" ... "is it uncomfortable to sleep on a curve like that?" ... yea yea yea, we've heard them all. i was happy to talk shop and it was fun watching people's minds churn as they took it in and struggled to accept it.

i was very comfortable, very warm, very dry and was able to setup with a spectacular river view most nights.

okay, enough talk, on with the pictures.

by the way, if you're interested in more details about the trip itself, please pm me. i'm not recommending it because it's my cousin's company, i'm recommending it because it's one of the most fun, most breathtaking trips i've ever been on

edit// what's the best way to post photos inline? i put them in the gallery, but i'm not sure the best way to get them to show up here?? thnks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by justradar; 07-23-2011 at 13:03. Reason: photos not showing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like a really fun trip. Been white water rafting at the N.E.O.C. in Milinocket, Maine with a few friends, one of which is a raft guide, so we get great discounts. Man it is so much fun. Class IV's and V's the whole way, what a great time. Beat the heck out of the Delaware River Beautiful views. A few times we went in October during Leaf Peak season. Wow. Incredible. But unfortunately they don't incorporate an overnight camping trip in the rafting trip. Instead, if you want, you can camp back at the lodge. Man I would much rather camp at the river banks like your cousins company does. Thats a great thing to offer customers. Nice pictures and set up....beautiful place!

P.S. Nice job on the website.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looks like a great trip and a good deal too. Your spot over the water made me laugh. Thanks for posting
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl /traveler 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    camo superfly/ BMJ
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies

white water

sounds like you had a great time.
    and bardering the trip to boot!
    thanks for shareing.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Fly fishing, rafting and hammocks - what an unbeatable combination!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Yea that spot over the water made me laugh too...lol. Wonder what the other ground dwellers were thinking!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts