Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Camo
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z Lite
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Too HOT in Hennessy. Help?

Hey, I see a lot of posts for dealing with cold backs, etc -- underquilts, radiant heat shields, so on. My searches haven't helped me with the following:

I just got a Hennessy Expedition A-Sym, and it's friggin' HOT inside! It's like the breeze doesn't really penetrate.. I'm sweating!

What do you guys do to stay cool?

Thanks.

Feel free to just refer me to a prior discussion if applicable.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try a fan....here is a whole thread on them.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34488
    Stay cool if you can
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

although it does not work as well as the hot water bottle works try putting some cold water into a bottle and stick the bottle under your neck or in your crotch

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    I don't really ever get "hot" in my rig, but it does sometimes get stuffy when I have my bug net up and there's no air moving. When that happens, I go low tech and use a wet/damp bandana. I place it on my chest and let physics do the rest. If I were get too hot, with no chance of relief, I'd probably wet my hammock (assuming there's no UQ/barrier or potential for hyperthermia) to aid convection.

If I'm not mistaken, a popular treatment for heat stroke is to wrap someone in a wet blanket and let conduction/convection aid in bringing their core temp down.

I know it's a simple solution, but I'm a simple guy. I hope it works out for you if you try it.

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Don't have the answer, but love the question. Went for an overnight two weeks ago and had the worst sleep ever. No breeze, high humidity. I was roasting like a pig on a spit. I have decided I don't venture out anymore if it is above 65 at night.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It was fairly hot this last weekend, and I managed to stay cool enough to fall asleep in my Hennessy. Note that I have the zip model; this may or may not work with the standard bottom-entry model.

I'd grab the knee tie-out and give it a decent yank (be careful doing this, though; if your stakes aren't really well set, you might pull it up into the hammock with you). This set the hammock to swaying, which created an artificial breeze on my back for me. It seemed to work fairly well. It's also worth noting that I didn't wear a shirt to bed; the air moving through the hammock bottom cooled me fairly well because of that.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I feel your pain. I hopped in my Explorer Ultralight for about 5 min the other day and **** near thought I was going to have heat stroke. The netting doesn't let hardly anything through. I'll definitely be doing a zipper mod. I'm glad it's my backup hammock now.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    How about a 2QZQ Hammock Specialties modification? A Mod 4 ( the one I was drooling over when doing initial research) would allow you to roll back the skeeter net entirely or partially. If I had an HH this and an updated suspension system would be my first modifications.

Images
    Well, here in the south, I guess when it is too hot it is just too hot, and without an AC it is going to be unpleasant. All of summer and plenty of the rest of the year, I really can not stand a net except maybe for the coolest part of the evening. I've meant to rig up a fan, but have not done so yet.

I have used these for a good bit of help both while hiking and in the hammock:
    http://www.froggtoggs.com/?cooling/details/CP100
    Of course, you are going to get wet. But who cares at these temps? ( we have had day time heat indexes - hot version of chill factor? - of 115 recently, with actual temps of 93-100+) I have even thought of pouring a bit of water into my hammock to get a little more evaporative cooling going on, but have not tried it.

Net or no net, most of the day and a lot of the evening, it is too hot/humid for me to be out walking, or in a chair or in a hammock, just to unpleasant. But the hammock is still the best option, since it does have that colder back thing going on, as long as you don't have to close the net. But the net is a killer in the heat. But what about the bugs with no net? So since at least last fall, I have been depending on Permethrin treated clothing and/or hammock and sometimes Picaridin on my exposed skin. Hopefully it is not killing me, because so far so good. Hanging often within rock throw distance of the swampy edge of a lake in MS ( in the daytime) and sleeping same distance form the Sipsey River/Fall Creek junction last fall( did see some mossies flying around near sundown), no problems so far. With no net, not even the head net I usually have with me. And it is no doubt way cooler.

Back when I started, with my no zip bottom entry HH UL Explorer, warm weather was a real problem for me as there was no escaping that net. In fact, it probably contributed greatly to the problems I had my 1st night hanging at a low of 22F in WY at 10000 ft 1st week of Sept 06. I had been trying to figure out how to hang my brand new and 1st ever hammock in MS in Aug, as well as figure out the HHSS. Needless to say, even without the SS, I could not stand being in the netted hammock more than a few minutes even without the SS. I had to figure it all out 1st night on the trail, with less than stellar results, unless you like shivering and constantly slipping down into the foot end of the hammock. Luckily, each following night worked out much better.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-14-2011 at 11:19.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    what I do is sleep next to a river. I want to go camping other places but im hot blooded. I sleep with no isulation at 60 something so I need that breeze from the river in the summer. I wait till it cools down to camp anywhere else.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast